College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Do you fellas really think we spend a high pick on a DL next year?

Sashi has already invested a lot of (premium) picks there.

I'd say no but you never know. Shelton has been underwhelming and Bryant is getting older, we might need some DTs in the near future, unfortunately. DL is a position I'd never be upset about using a draft pick on, especially guys who can get to the QB.

19 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Shelton was actually pretty good last year, the giants when they won seemed like they took a DL almost every year

I thought last year Shelton played well disrupting up the middle. Requiring double teams fairly often. I don't think he has been underwhelming. I feel that his position is not a glamorous stat filling position, but he does what he needs to so that other players can make plays. 

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Shelton was actually pretty good last year, the giants when they won seemed like they took a DL almost every year

This is how I feel. Keep adding d-line help. Not sure why people say draft o-line every year, but pause when other suggest drafting d-line ever year.

2 hours ago, LouBegaFreak said:

I'd say no but you never know. Shelton has been underwhelming and Bryant is getting older, we might need some DTs in the near future, unfortunately. DL is a position I'd never be upset about using a draft pick on, especially guys who can get to the QB.

I would like to see first what we have in Brantley and Larry O before I go Dline. 

And talking Giants I actually like the possibility of using Ogbah in a Justin Tuck type role. We could draft a 3rd pure pass rusher in the first two rounds next year allowing Ogbah to rush from the inside on 3rd down. That could get nasty.

awwwww.gif

Aww... Are we at the point where we don't draft BPA still? 

I don't think so, we were just a 1 win team last year.  There are maybe 2-4 players who are probably not upgradeable by a rookie and none of them play in the same position group so there is always room for improvement. 

If there is a DL available that is hands down better than any other player available I would be pissed if they passed him/her (political correctness is essential) for someone else. We do not have an elite position group at this time so every position should be on the table.  But that's just my opinion. 

I guess I'm of the mindset that I'm going to try my best this year, with all of the unknowns (we went from a 1 win team last year and drafted a LOT of guys over the past 2 years) that our roster has, to evaluate players based upon talent and not necessarily forecasting need, with obvious exceptions on a select few roster spots.

Based upon that, there are a few guys that I personally really like and a few others that I'm going to do my best to watch more/a lot more of:

Guys I REALLY like and, barring some unexpected injuries/meltdowns, I feel like are fantastic prospects:

*Derwin James

*Saquon Barkley

*Christian Wilkins

Guys I want to watch more of/need to see more out of:

*Sam Darnold: Had a great 8-9 games. Great arm, his ability to go through progressions quickly and process information is honestly impressive. I need to see him have another great season.

*Josh Rosen: I honestly don't love him and can't put my finger on why exactly. In all honesty, probably because I get a raging toolbag "bro" kid vibe from him, which I will try to remain more level headed on, and he's had a lot of injuries.

*Josh Allen: I haven't seen Wyoming play since OSU played them on a Thursday night game 20 years ago. I've heard people raving about him, so the YouTube highlights I've seen probably aren't exactly film study

*Bo Scarbrough: I love him, but he's had a lot of dents and dings. I need to see him 100% healthy for a full season

*Calvin Ridley: I just need to see more of him. It's hard not to love those Alabama WR's like Julio and Cooper. They're pro ready route runners who love to perimeter block

28 minutes ago, brownie man said:

My biggest negative with Ridley is his age. He's already 22 and will be 23 by the end of the season.

doesnt seem like the type of player we're looking for in terms of a first round pick. 

I know why you feel this way, but Zay Jones is a guy I wanted and he's 22 right now. I'd just view Ridley as a redshirt senior.

4 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

"a" DL? Sure.  We've drafted 7 in the last 3, 5 in the last 2.

I just look at the talent we have at WR, LB RB, FS, CB, and even OL as none of the top guys are on a rookie deal, and can't help but think those top picks would be better spent elsewhere.

51 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I know why you feel this way, but Zay Jones is a guy I wanted and he's 22 right now. I'd just view Ridley as a redshirt senior.

When it comes to our fo we want young players who dominate with high ceilings. That isn't Ridley he hasn't dominated in comparison to his competition like Njocku or Coleman did. 

Shon Coleman is the only guy with age we've really taken and he didn't have much tread on him from being out a lot of his early seasons

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Barkley is the pound for pound best player in college football. His ONLY knock is that he's a runningback.

I think thats not really a knock when he is the best RB and one of, if not the best offensive player in the nation that isnt a QB.

@candyman93   My bad...At the time I reposted a general draft talk thread from the old forum, I did not realize you already made one over here.  I think the 2018 QB thread I made will serve as its own stand alone thread should the time come for QB talk at the end of the year if Kizer doesn't work out.

But the non-QB general draft talk thread I started is redundant with this one...so I'm just going to repost my thread opening post here for future reference as this thread is the one with activity and the one I started a while back is looking like it will be lost down the rabbit hole of the internet of things for all time.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:36 AM, Mind Character said:

***I'm assuming all posts/threads on the old version of the forum will be deleted soon after 8/12. With that in mind, I'm reposting this thread topic here as the topic will likely be relevant for future discussion. If this is out of line, my apologies to the mods*******

The 2018 Non-QB Class

Wanted to start a thread for info and discussion on next year's non-QBs.

Already started a thread on the QBs and saw people started to post about non-QBs in that thread so I thought a different thread could be started for those guys since QB discussion will take on it's own life in that thread and the talk on other non-QB prospects could be lost/paged.

Let the discussion begin!!!
---------------------

Quick Hitters:

1. Derwin James is not the player people are talking about him as and is not the top safety prospect in the next draft based on play thus far........

He is an amazing defensive prospect in his own right however. He's being heralded as the best safety in the draft and/or the best player in the draft. He is not that. He's likely the 3rd or 4th best FS prospect in the draft; the number 1 SS prospect in the draft; however, he will likely be converted to a nickel and/or 43-Outside Linebacker when it is all said in done depending on who drafts him because he shined in the box LB role for FSU a lot.

He comes with destructive intent to the ball throughout the game but he has a very very slow mental trigger as a deep safety in diagnosing the pass and the run.

FSU used him to range in the pass too much at times and should just use him in the Jamal Adams box destroyer role. Even in that role his instincts and mental trigger are not as decisive and urgent as Jamal Adams; however, I noticed in watching 9 games that his instincts and urgent movement takes over when he plays the OLB position.
-----------

2. Armani Watts is the best safety prospect in the draft even considering in Derwin James as the number 1 SS in the draft and it's not even close; the clear number 1 FS prospect in the draft; is a higher rated FS than Malik Hooker; and is the best FS prospect (the most complete and with the best ability) in the last 13 years (since Sean Taylor in 2004).

Few FS prospects have the run thumping violence Watts has along with range playmaking skills to disrupt the pass. Armani Watts also has elite quickness in his mental trigger in diagnosing the run followed by elite instincts in taking decisive angles to the ball destroying runners and underneath route receivers.

He's special. He plays like a more destructive and forceful Jabrill Peppers in the run with the ability and instincts of Malik Hooker in the pass game. Does not have the ball skills or range of Hooker, but his skills in those areas are still very high and advanced.

--------------------------

3. Godwin Igwebuike and Jordan Whitehead are special FS1 prospects as well with Godwin possessing a better and more forceful all around game.

I've been on their games since December. Godwin is a kamikazee destroyer in the run with elite hash to sideline movement explosiveness to disrupt the pass. He has it all in terms of a run defending pass disrupting FS prospect. Jordan Whitehead is more of a smooth athlete with some run support deficiencies, but his game in terms of ball skills and disrupting the passing game in the deep third is special.

The Browns getting 1 of Watts, Igwebuike, or Whitehead at FS has the chance to change the secondary. I'm not as high on Igwebuike and Whitehead (I see them as top 20-25 first round talents), but I see Armani Watts as a top-5 player much like Hooker was viewed before this year's draft.

He's the game changer. FS Armani Watts and SS Jabrill Peppers as safeties elevates our secondary to unparalleled heights imo.

--------------------------------

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tarvarus McFadden are the best CB prospects I've seen since Patrick Peterson and both are likely to be even better than him.

Mcfadden wins with length, elite calmness, and instinctual eyes and timing to make plays on the ball. He's a notch above even the prototype. Minkah is more of a scrappy and urgent mover with the ability to thump in the run, but also quickly mentally trigger onto receiver routes and make a play on the ball. He also has safety/nickel versatility. Both are top 10 guaranteed players imo.

---------------------

5. Adonis Alexander CB VaTech might end up being better than both Fitzpatrick and McFadden when it's all said and done, Jaire Alexander CB Louisville has the production but the tape shows he is not on the level of Fitzpatrick, McFadden, and also a notch below Adonis Alexander.

------------------

6. I'm not yet seeing the special/rare AJ Green, Julio, Megatron WR1 prospect yet.

Size and speed wise Courtland Sutton has a chance to be that, but he has to work on his hands and route running. Christian Kirk is a nice catch an run Golden tate type player but talk of him being a WR1 that can go out and get you 90 plus catches is overstated to me. He has elite speed and quickness and will be an impact number 2 player like Golden Tate and Randall Cobb when he's at his best. Deebo Samuels and Antonio Callaway show elite ball skills and separation ability at times. They will likely be early round 2 gems.

--------------------

7. This is the year of the elite safety and elite CB.

Depth and Elite traits is there at the safety position from the number to number 7 prospect. Elite talent but not depth in talent is there at the CB position as the top 3 CBs have the ability to be the number 1 corners in the league early.

-----------------

8. We may find our Joe Thomas developmental replacement (if such a thing even exists) in the second round.

Tackle class is looking like it will have a lot of depth. Skill wise it's not a tremendous class, but there are more players on the level of Cam Robinson and Jack Conklin

Archived