College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

I'm going to say it now and over and over until everyone hops on the hype train....Like I called Jamal Adams as the apex defensive player heading into last season....Armani Watts is the best defensive player in college football period...

It's going to be funny watching everyone continue to drool over Derwin James while Armani goes overlooked.

Finished the last 4 games of Armani's (2 in) 2016 and (2) 2017 seasons...and he played better than I ever saw in all the games I saw prior in 3 of those 4 games. He imo is the closest thing to a hard hitting free safety combo extraordinaire since Sean Taylor although Sean (RIP) was the freakiest athlete ever.

At this point, I have to see Armani Watts at safety with Jabrill Peppers...It must happen...don't care who plays which position...it doesn't matter.

Also watched some more Minkah Fitzpatrick and to my surprise he was more instinctive at FS when they put him there than in the slot. Also, he was more physical in press as a walk out boundary corner on an island than I previously saw before.

7th overall pick (projected Browns) Armani Watts SS/FS

11th overall pick (projected Texans) Minkah Fitzpatrick CB

Let's get this done Andrew Berry, Sashi, and Depo....the force wills it so...so shall it be....

On 8/14/2017 at 11:31 AM, brownie man said:

I watched some more of Watts. I really like him too I get more of the Earl Thomas feel from him. 

I dont think he'll go too 5 because he won't have the elite athletic traits because of his size. But yeah I'd like him. I do think Derwin James could play FS so I disagree with you there. 

I do love Mincah and McFadden as fits for us. Go corner and FS with our top 2 picks and I'll be a happy man.

@brownie man  I'm calling the shot on Armani Watts now before the season just like Kizer....let me know if/when you join in the full "Watts is better than Jamal Adams and Derwin James" hype train. I'll be waiting...and if/when it turns out to be true (as with Kizer hopefully) we shall be internet forum legends (in our own minds??)....and that counts for a lot these days obviously...

If by chance we don't need a QB in the next draft, I would definitely like to see a DB in the 1st round.  Derwin James is an obvious target because he is a pure specimen at safety.  In regards to the 2nd of our 1st round picks, I may go BPA at that point.  What will most likely happen is that the Browns will trade down again to gain another 1st round pick next year but I'd still go BPA.

Peace!!!

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

I'm going to say it now and over and over until everyone hops on the hype train....Like I called Jamal Adams as the apex defensive player heading into last season....Armani Watts is the best defensive player in college football period...

It's going to be funny watching everyone continue to drool over Derwin James while Armani goes overlooked.

Finished the last 4 games of Armani's (2 in) 2016 and (2) 2017 seasons...and he played better than I ever saw in all the games I saw prior in 3 of those 4 games. He imo is the closest thing to a hard hitting free safety combo extraordinaire since Sean Taylor although Sean (RIP) was the freakiest athlete ever.

At this point, I have to see Armani Watts at safety with Jabrill Peppers...It must happen...don't care who plays which position...it doesn't matter.

Also watched some more Minkah Fitzpatrick and to my surprise he was more instinctive at FS when they put him there than in the slot. Also, he was more physical in press as a walk out boundary corner on an island than I previously saw before.

7th overall pick (projected Browns) Armani Watts SS/FS

11th overall pick (projected Texans) Minkah Fitzpatrick CB

Let's get this done Andrew Berry, Sashi, and Depo....the force wills it so...so shall it be....

With Watts and Minkah our defense would be disgusting in a couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

@brownie man  I'm calling the shot on Armani Watts now before the season just like Kizer....let me know if/when you join in the full "Watts is better than Jamal Adams and Derwin James" hype train. I'll be waiting...and if/when it turns out to be true (as with Kizer hopefully) we shall be internet forum legends (in our own minds??)....and that counts for a lot these days obviously...

If you're right, someone just may make you a victory lap thread that will be locked shortly after...if he/she/xe ever learns to forgive for your Nacua blasphemy.

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

lol obviously 

ill hold my judgements on players for the first two weeks of the season. But right now Derwin James is my guy. 

But Earl Thomas was my guy over Joe Haden so Watts has the potential to move up for me. 

But watchin the games Peppers is getting a lot of time at free safety so we may be looking at things differently 

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

lol obviously 

ill hold my judgements on players for the first two weeks of the season. But right now Derwin James is my guy. 

But Earl Thomas was my guy over Joe Haden so Watts has the potential to move up for me. 

But watchin the games Peppers is getting a lot of time at free safety so we may be looking at things differently 

With the way the game has evolved safeties need to be fairly interchangeable.  If you can't cover AND tackle, you have pretty limited value.

Peppers and Watts/James would be filthy.

Gosh.

Theres gonna be so much insane talent. If we don't have anybody step up at 3-tech I think Christian Wilkins is a lock for us. He'd fit what Williams wants out of that position. He's the most athletic DT in college football and plays with high energy.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Gosh.

Theres gonna be so much insane talent. If we don't have anybody step up at 3-tech I think Christian Wilkins is a lock for us. He'd fit what Williams wants out of that position. He's the most athletic DT in college football and plays with high energy.

I dont think they are going to spend another high draft pick on the DL. #1 overall pick, another first rd pick, and a high 2nd rd pick. I think they will want to see what they have in their other DTs before drafting another one. I think if they want to address the 3T they might want to do it in FA.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I dont think they are going to spend another high draft pick on the DL. #1 overall pick, another first rd pick, and a high 2nd rd pick. I think they will want to see what they have in their other DTs before drafting another one. I think if they want to address the 3T they might want to do it in FA.

Disagree.

You could make that argument for a lot of positions. There isn't a unit that we haven't invested draft picks / free agency money into.

Just now, candyman93 said:

Disagree.

You could make that argument for a lot of positions. There isn't a unit that we haven't invested draft picks / free agency money into.

There is no unit on this team where the Browns have invested as many high draft picks than DL. I think if you look at the unit, they have 6 guys drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Pick wise they have invested quality picks into the DL. Lets see if they develop before we want to throw another 1st rd pick in there. I would love to see them investing that into WR and Secondary before they address DL again in the first two rounds. If they can address WR and Safety/DB with their first two picks I would be fine with whatever they decide to do after that

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Disagree.

Eh, I think corner, free safety, and RB have had pretty minimal investment and warrant a high pick.

Also I think a higher round pick at LB is also warranted as our primary two linebackers are on their second deals and will be 30+ when a rookie is up for a new deal. It would be a good way to space out talent in regards to age/money.

WR will need addressed early as well unless someone steps up in a big way.

OL could also use some youth, specifically looking to find Joe's eventual replacement.

Ideally Kizer blossoms and we sign T.Johnson to play CB and draft Fitzpatrick for FS to round out our Defense. Then draft Christian Kirk or Cam Sutton at WR. We need to surround Kizer with as much talent as possible. I'd use the next 4-5 picks on Offensive playmakers 

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Ideally Kizer blossoms and we sign T.Johnson to play CB and draft Fitzpatrick for FS to round out our Defense. Then draft Christian Kirk or Cam Sutton at WR. We need to surround Kizer with as much talent as possible. I'd use the next 4-5 picks on Offensive playmakers 

I wonder what analytics would say about signing a 28 year old corner to a monster deal?

Just guessing, but I wouldn't think it's advisable.

Archived