College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Some team will take a shot on Lamar Jackson in the first or second round, barring injury. His athleticism and potential alone won't let him slip past the 2nd round.

Agreed. Especially with some recent examples to make the team more confident they can have similar success with Jackson.

Cowherd thinks we will take Rosen number one as a result of Darnold going back to school. He's obsessed with Southern California football though so no surprise. It wouldn't be the ideal scenario but I wouldn't hate it. Rosen can at least read defenses and is a classic pocket passer. Think his arm is overrated though. More and more I'm coming around to the idea of Josh Allen if Darnold stays. Inland Northern California kid with ridiculous combination of arm and athleticism that was underrecruited and had to go to a junior/community college for a year... sounds familiar. That's where the similarities seem to end though, as Rodgers was very efficient in college whereas Allen looks to be far less productive with his tools so far. But some of the highlights I've seen of him are wow.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Some team will take a shot on Lamar Jackson in the first or second round, barring injury. His athleticism and potential alone won't let him slip past the 2nd round.

I'd be surprised if he's not taken in the first round tbh.

If he's at least listed size, with his arm, athleticism and production, I can't see all 32 teams passing on him.

This group of QB's is super intriguing to me to be honest.

Sam Darnold has had issues with turning the ball over, but as a prospect there is a lot to like. He's the total package as far as traits go. Big, accurate arm, the perfect frame at 6'4 and 220, he's only 20 years old (the lack of being a 3 year starter or getting his college degree is a minor concern), and this year under intense scrutiny hasn't delivered in certain situations, probably since his weapons at the WR position are extremely underwhelming. If he comes out and we have the #1 pick, he'd better be a Brown.

Josh Rosen is also good sized at 6'4 and close to 220 with a VERY clean throwing motion and mechanics. He's in a Pro Style offense at UCLA and has shown consistent improvement over the last 3 years despite a roster that is also extremely unimpressive. His pre-snap reads are good, although occasionally he can force the ball into coverage downfield when trying to make a play. I personally believe that this mostly is a result of him knowing that if he doesn't make a huge play, they'll lose. He has above average but not elite arm strength.

Josh Allen flat out scares me. He could be the next Big Ben/Aaron Rodgers or he could completely flame out of the NFL. He's 6'5 and 235, has a super big arm, surprising athleticism, and is the only thing close to great on his own team. The lack of accuracy is a major concern for me, unless there's some type of workable flaw that's causing it. To be honest though, I can't remember the last college QB to have major NFL success with accuracy concerns.

Lamar Jackson is a complete wildcard. I think he could have major success if given time, but I don't think that he's a good fit for the Browns, where there will be massive expectations to start and succeed from the go.

The only QB I would hate this year is Josh Allen. I believe he will be a head case cross between Ryan Leaf and Derek Anderson. I have never seen a QB who throws a childish temper tantrum after a series of bad players actually be a good enough leader to be good in the NFL. He also does the whole Derek Anderson thing where he winds up and throws the ball as hard as he can at the flare, speed out or 6 yard hitch just like he was throwing a 15 yard out or dig. I have never once seen a QB coached up on touch either especially ones as bad a Derek Anderson and Josh Allen.

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Will never happen IMO, he will test out as our best DL prospect, book it, plus he is versatile. Mid 2nd at the latest IMO.

That is fine. I am no scout and gauging value at this point is nearly impossible. I probably don't even know enough players to fill out a complete 4 round draft I was just looking for a guy in a position I thought we needed. The mock idea looked fun so I thought I'd give it a try. I played a game on first-pick about 10 times in the last week but I don't know who accurate that site is because they have Josh Adams in the late 7th and some ridiculous trade offers. I thought it might be more fun to do my own shorter version.

Its going to be a lot of intriguing guys that will be around at the top of the 2nd round, but the smart thing for us to do it hope a guy like Chukwuma Okorafor is there to select, and hope Joe Thomas stays for a least one more season.

On side note, I remember seeing Chuk in high school, the school where I was coaching at practiced with Southfield High for a whole week, and they were loaded, him, Malik McDowell, Lawrence Marshall and Lion King Conway. One on ones against them were a sight to see.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Josh Allen to Pitt seems inevitable.

Sit behind Ben a year or two and kill us for a decade and a half after we Baker Mayfield at 33.

Can’t draft Baker when the browns take Rosen #1. 

Go after the best QB or don’t draft one at all. 

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Its going to be a lot of intriguing guys that will be around at the top of the 2nd round, but the smart thing for us to do it hope a guy like Chukwuma Okorafor is there to select, and hope Joe Thomas stays for a least one more season.

On side note, I remember seeing Chuk in high school, the school where I was coaching at practiced with Southfield High for a whole week, and they were loaded, him, Malik McDowell, Lawrence Marshall and Lion King Conway. One on ones against them were a sight to see.

That a family name?

22 hours ago, Dogbite said:

Free Agent Signing = Carlos Hyde RB, DeVante Adams WR

1st Round 1st Pick = Sam Darnold QB USC

1st Round 6th Pick = Minkah Fitzpatrick FS Alabama

2nd Round 33rd Pick = Josh Adams RB Notre Dame

2nd Round 39th Pick = Brian O'Neil OT Pittsburgh or Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi State

2nd Round 56th Pick = Parris Campbell WR Ohio State or Michael Gallup WR Colorado State

3rd Round 65th Pick = Kurt Benkert QB Virginia

4th Round ??? Pick = Jaylyn Holmes DE Ohio State

4th Round ??? Pick = MJ Stewart CB North Carolina

5th-7th Round = I have no idea I don't know enough players. Biggest, Strongest, Fastest guy you can find.

What do you think of my first ever mock draft?

Before Letsgo quizzes me about the background of each player I openly admit I have not researched these guys in depth nor will I ever as that is not my job. My job is to have fun watching and talking sports. I have watched these guys on TV and on youtube and that is it. I do not have access to this all 22 Mind is always talking about and I have no game film as I am not a college or NFL employee.

DeVante Adams drops too many passes and is propped up by Rodgers.

If we are going after a WR in FA, I would look more at Jarvis Laundry, or Allen Robinson, or Alshon Jefferies, or maybe even Sammy Watkins.

I don't like that we aren't drafting a WR until the end of the 5th pick (end of the second).  Our need for more play makers is too great to let the top ones slide.  I would want to look at Calvin Ridley or Cameron Sutton or Equanimeous St. Brown or another of the top recievers.

I would want to sign a big name and draft one with one of our first 4 picks (preferably at the beginning of the 2nd round)

Archived