College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

8 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

D is close to being dominant but we need 3 more pieces in the 2 of which must be from the Top 50 of the draft? We are either close to being dominant or 3 key pieces away we cannot be both at the same time.

Huh?

Not sure where you got 3 from.

11 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Huh?

Not sure where you got 3 from.

2 of the next 4 and a FA signing is how your statement looked to me. I would say we need one more high profile player. Everything else we need can be found in the middle rounds or the budget week of free agency.

1 minute ago, Dogbite said:

2 of the next 4 and a FA signing is how your statement looked to me. I would say we need one more high profile player. Everything else we need can be found in the middle rounds or the budget week of free agency.

Got it.

18 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Not usually the one to toot my own horn. Toot toot heh heh. But I do remember saying both Goff and Wentz were cant miss back in the day. Cough cough cheap tooting my own horn drivel. 

So what do you say now about Darnold and Rosen, or some other QB that we can get in the 2018 draft, oh wise one?

5 minutes ago, bruceb said:

So what do you say now about Darnold and Rosen, or some other QB that we can get in the 2018 draft, oh wise one?

Truthfully?  Way too early to say. I try telling people to not let one game determine who’s who. I try telling people wait till all the information is in to make a take. It’s too early to say at this time. As I say every year about this time, I will let you know come about a week before the draft. I can let you in on my early favorites. But it is fluid until draft time. 

As to the “oh wise one”?  False flattery will get you nowhere. I don’t need any participation trophies. I grew up in a much more just get it done era. 

8 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Truthfully?  Way too early to say. I try telling people to not let one game determine who’s who. I try telling people wait till all the information is in to make a take. It’s too early to say at this time. As I say every year about this time, I will let you know come about a week before the draft. I can let you in on my early favorites. But it is fluid until draft time. 

As to the “oh wise one”?  False flattery will get you nowhere. I don’t need any participation trophies. I grew up in a much more just get it done era. 

Well, you were tooting your own horn, and did not issue any kind of a disclaimer that past results should not be interpreted as any claims as to of future results.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Well, you were tooting your own horn, and did not issue any kind of a disclaimer that past results should not be interpreted as any claims as to of future results.

Your meaning is lost. What exactly do you want?  Did I not say it’s too early to say with any qb so far?  Do you want me to go back and gloat about who I was dead on about? Seems quite boring to me. Because nobody really cares. 

Hit me up mid April I can hook you up ;)

Here's what I'd do:

Take a QB at #1...whoever you designate as the man. I like Darnold still, but I haven't caught much USC this year.

Then trade back up to #2 and take Saquon.

#1--Sam Darnold QB USC

#2--Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

2nd--MJ Stewart CB North Carolina

2nd--Adonis Alexander CB/S Virginia Tech

2nd--(traded for Barkley)

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR Miami Fl.

3rd--Donnie Miles SS North Carolina

4th--(traded for Barkley)

5th--Skai Moore OLB South Carolina

6th--Josey Jewel MLB Iowa

7th--Austin Proehl WR North Carolina

FA--Jarvis Landry WR

FA--Avery Williamson MLB

FA--Jeremiah Attaochu DE

QB: Darnold/Kizer/Kessler

RB: Barkley/Johnson/Dayes

FB: Vitale

WR: Gordon/Coleman/Landry/Berrios/Louis/Coates/Proehl

TE: Njoku/DeValve/Telfer

LT: Thomas/Banner

LG: Bitonio/Martin

C: Tretter/Reiter

RG: Zeitler/Drango

RT: Coleman/Johnson

LE: Ogbah/Nassib

DT: Shelton/Ogunjobi/Meder/Coley/Brantley

RE: Garrett/Attaochu

WLB: Kirksey/Moore

MLB: Schobert/Williamson/Jewel

SLB: Collins/Burgess

CB: McCourty/Stewart/Boddy-Calhoun/Taylor/Wilson

FS: Peppers/Alexander

SS: Kindred/Miles

K: Gonzales

P: Colquitt

KR: Barkley/Berrios

PR: Peppers/Berrios

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

This would be ideal.

And I would like to address at least 2 of those needs in FA instead of the draft. Especially the speed rusher since they take longer to develop and we dont have another 2 years of waiting for a 2nd round pass rusher to develop given how Orchard/Nassib have slowly progressed.

I dont want to try to plug all the holes with high draft picks that take 2-3 years to fully become the impact player you drafted.

Jacksonville got this good because they had draft talent like Fowler/Ramsey/Fournette/Robinson but also went on a FA spending spree. They really went out and got:

Tashaun Gipson

Berry Church

AJ Bouye

Malik Jackson

Marcell Dareus 

Calais Campbell

They emptied the bank to essestially NY Yankees 'buy' a great defense

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Here's what I'd do:

Take a QB at #1...whoever you designate as the man. I like Darnold still, but I haven't caught much USC this year.

Then trade back up to #2 and take Saquon.

#1--Sam Darnold QB USC

#2--Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

2nd--MJ Stewart CB North Carolina

2nd--Adonis Alexander CB/S Virginia Tech

2nd--(traded for Barkley)

3rd--Braxton Berrios WR Miami Fl.

3rd--Donnie Miles SS North Carolina

4th--(traded for Barkley)

5th--Skai Moore OLB South Carolina

6th--Josey Jewel MLB Iowa

7th--Austin Proehl WR North Carolina

FA--Jarvis Landry WR

FA--Avery Williamson MLB

FA--Jeremiah Attaochu DE

QB: Darnold/Kizer/Kessler

RB: Barkley/Johnson/Dayes

FB: Vitale

WR: Gordon/Coleman/Landry/Berrios/Louis/Coates/Proehl

TE: Njoku/DeValve/Telfer

LT: Thomas/Banner

LG: Bitonio/Martin

C: Tretter/Reiter

RG: Zeitler/Drango

RT: Coleman/Johnson

LE: Ogbah/Nassib

DT: Shelton/Ogunjobi/Meder/Coley/Brantley

RE: Garrett/Attaochu

WLB: Kirksey/Moore

MLB: Schobert/Williamson/Jewel

SLB: Collins/Burgess

CB: McCourty/Stewart/Boddy-Calhoun/Taylor/Wilson

FS: Peppers/Alexander

SS: Kindred/Miles

K: Gonzales

P: Colquitt

KR: Barkley/Berrios

PR: Peppers/Berrios

I have a couple of problems with your draft, but not with the 2 ones. I think we need to be realistic and so IMO, we can no longer count on Thomas, we need his replacement now, because he could retire at any moment. I also do not want to depend on Gordon, so I would draft 2 more WR's in this draft, to absolutely give Darnold reliable targets.

Potentially at least, there is a real opportunity to put out an offense that could dominate in 2 or 3 years.  Leave the top picks for offense this draft and use the top picks for defense in the 2019 draft, then potentially, you have fixed both sides of the ball and could have a SB contending team by 2020.

Teams that are rebuilding and try to fix both sides of the ball at the same time, usually fail in their rebuild.

Archived