College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Hmmm, I wonder why the Browns lack playmakers. Let's see: Players that the Browns took (offensive SKILL POSITION players) higher than 15th overall was:

Trent Richardson (2012): 3rd

Braylon Edwards (2005): 3rd

Kellen Winslow Jr. (2004): 6th

Tim Couch (1999): 1st

THAT'S IT

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this team is almost completely devoid of any NFL talent at the offensive skill positions because they HAVE NOT MADE AN EFFORT to address it in over a decade. 2012 was a statistical anomaly. It's time. Get the QB. Get the WR(S). It's ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Dogbite said:

I could get on board with a Mayfield and Barkley combination. I could even get on board with Barkley and Lamar Jackson to give us a freakishly athletic offense with Duke, Njoku, Coleman, Jackson and Barkley then trade back into 1st for WR. A lot of stuff and offensive coordinator could dream up with that kind of athletic ability at the skilled positions.

I am on board with the idea of L.Jackson because running a read option would actually mean something when we run it and would hold defenses by the balls, but unfortunately we won't be able to do so, if Rosen or Darnold are franchise QBs, you take them 100% of the time.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hmmm, I wonder why the Browns lack playmakers. Let's see: Players that the Browns took (offensive SKILL POSITION players) higher than 15th overall was:

THAT'S IT

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this team is almost completely devoid of any NFL talent at the offensive skill positions because they HAVE NOT MADE AN EFFORT to address it in over a decade. 2012 was a statistical anomaly. It's time. Get the QB. Get the WR(S). It's ridiculous.

Primo post here, MWil.

Our draft strategy should be as simple as taking the best QB at 1 and then the best WR with Houston's pick. Best RB available at the top of 2 and then take BPA the rest of the way through. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/4286/note-to-the-haslams-here-is-how-to-fix-your-broken-organization

Qualifications to have Toni G's job:

1. Be extremely grumpy/pessimistic 100% of the time

2. Second guess every decision that the Browns have made and will make

3. Explore ridiculous hypotheticals and write articles about them

4. Make a lot of money

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/4286/note-to-the-haslams-here-is-how-to-fix-your-broken-organization

Qualifications to have Toni G's job:

1. Be extremely grumpy/pessimistic 100% of the time

2. Second guess every decision that the Browns have made and will make

3. Explore ridiculous hypotheticals and write articles about them

4. Make a lot of money

Are you saying his punchable face is optional?

The "I know that I will change my mind but this is what I'm doing" mock draft, first 2 days:

*Cousins remembers that he has a brain and refuses to sign here. He resigns in Washington or goes to Jacksonville

*The Browns sign Tyrod Taylor as a poor man's Alex Smith, bringing a much needed veteran presence to the QB room. He knows up front this will be at most a 1 year gig and primarily will be a placeholder and will bring along our #1 draft pick. He will have an opportunity to start, probably will win the job, and as long as we're in playoff contention, will remain the starter. If we aren't winning, the #1 draft pick will play over him. He happily accepts.

#1: Sam Darnold

Texans 1st Rounder: The Browns trade the pick to Buffalo for BOTH 1sts (2018), a 2018 3rd, and a 2019 2nd round selection. Buffalo drafts their QB (Mayfield or Jackson. Rosen went to NY Giants)

1B: James Washington, WR OK State: The 6'1, 205 pounder is a smooth route-runner with the ability to take the top off of opposing defenses and make big plays after the catch. He is also a solid Red Zone threat.

1C: Joshua Jackson, DB Iowa: This dynamic CB only makes play after play on the field. He has 7 INT and 16 pass breakups in 10 games! He plays almost exclusively man coverage and has solid athleticism and technique on opposing wideouts. Ask Wisconsin and Ohio State.

2A: Derrius Guice, RB LSU: He's not Saquon Barkley, but we get the 2nd/3rd best RB in the entire draft in the 2nd round. This 5'11 RB is a definite 3 down RB with plenty of explosiveness and the ability to be the workhorse that we need with Duke Johnson already on the roster. Goodbye Crowell

2B: DeShon Elliott, S Texas: This guy gives us the rangy ballhawk that our secondary needs. Peppers moves to SS.

2C: Traded for a 2018 4th and 2019 2nd 

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

1C: Joshua Jackson, DB Iowa: This dynamic CB only makes play after play on the field. He has 7 INT and 16 pass breakups in 10 games! He plays almost exclusively man coverage and has solid athleticism and technique on opposing wideouts. Ask Wisconsin and Ohio State

I would love to see what his 40 time will be, if its anywhere in the 4.4s and has a good shuttle, he is going to skyrocket

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

I would love to see what his 40 time will be, if its anywhere in the 4.4s and has a good shuttle, he is going to skyrocket

Yeah, I saw a mock that had Jackson as a 2nd rounder. I have him in the first until athletically he gives me a reason not to have him there. Plus, Joe Haden still went in the first after a lousy 40 time at the combine, even if he did have a solid pro day.

JMHO

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I saw a mock that had Jackson as a 2nd rounder. I have him in the first until athletically he gives me a reason not to have him there. Plus, Joe Haden still went in the first after a lousy 40 time at the combine, even if he did have a solid pro day.

JMHO

Well he already checks two boxes on the surface, he has height/length, and production, so we'll see about the rest

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I love Mayfield, but he may well measure in at 5'10"

His police report has him as slightly over 6'0. 

I'm okay with either, but if we are going with a spread "system QB," I'm probably going with Lamar Jackson.

And if we really like Mayfield or Jackson, waiting around with Houston's pick is lunacy. We would need to jump through hoops to go get our QB, not wait it out. If we like those guys that much, so will other NFL GM's. 

If we get a QB, which seems apparent that we will, it has to be at #1. Clearly, it’s both a position of need and the most important position. Therefore, why settle for taking one at 7, when that could be the 3rd best QB in the draft? Get the guy that you think is the best. Sure, in some classes, you have 3 good starting NFL QBs (Goff, Wentz, Day). Statistically though, in most, you might have 1-2 franchise QBs. You have to get the guy that you like the best, period. That means you take him at 1. No more screwing around. In addition, you fire Hue and put the restraining order prohibiting him to be near the QB into effect. Him and his “all verticals” route tree.

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

THAT'S IT

sorry disagree because we may be able to get two goff like trades then get fitzpatrick and arden.

Pittsburgh drafted  Roethlisburger at 15

Flaco was a double digit draft choice

Dalton was chosen in the second round

the two qbs drafted recently with rings went to teams that were already built Flaco and Wilson for example

12 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

sorry disagree because we may be able to get two goff like trades then get fitzpatrick and arden.

Pittsburgh drafted  Roethlisburger at 15

Flaco was a double digit draft choice

Dalton was chosen in the second round

the two qbs drafted recently with rings went to teams that were already built Flaco and Wilson for example

How have our draft choices that have come in the 20's looked?  Weeden, Manziel,?  Or our 2nd rounder Kizer? 

You figure out who you believe is the best QB in the draft, and you take him at 1...or wherever we will be in the top 3. 

The rest of the draft is gravy

Archived