College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

52 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Actually, Ogbah has been a top 8-12 DE in the NFL so far. It's just that his impact is felt more in the run game than the pass so far, so it isn't as noticeable. And on a per snap basis Garrett has been amazing (albeit you can't really credit them for taking the clear #1 player at #1). And they've had some really nice hits later in the draft too with Schobert, Ogunjobi (they're easing him in, but per snap he's an absolute beast against the run), Shon Coleman, and Devalve. I mean, honestly, other than QB they're doing awesome. We did a complete tear down and a lot of our later round picks have developed into quality depth guys (Higgins, Louis, Kindred, Drango, Brantley, and Dayes have all been better than you'd expect from a guy taken in the round they were, not stars but solid role players). They desperately need a hit at QB, but outside of that the team is actually starting to look a LOT better from a talent standpoint. Fix QB, Secondary, and WR this offseason and this could be a really, really good roster.

Agreed, good post.

WR and Qb are killing this team right now.  

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Actually, Ogbah has been a top 8-12 DE in the NFL so far. It's just that his impact is felt more in the run game than the pass so far, so it isn't as noticeable. And on a per snap basis Garrett has been amazing (albeit you can't really credit them for taking the clear #1 player at #1). And they've had some really nice hits later in the draft too with Schobert, Ogunjobi (they're easing him in, but per snap he's an absolute beast against the run), Shon Coleman, and Devalve. I mean, honestly, other than QB they're doing awesome. We did a complete tear down and a lot of our later round picks have developed into quality depth guys (Higgins, Louis, Kindred, Drango, Brantley, and Dayes have all been better than you'd expect from a guy taken in the round they were, not stars but solid role players). They desperately need a hit at QB, but outside of that the team is actually starting to look a LOT better from a talent standpoint. Fix QB, Secondary, and WR this offseason and this could be a really, really good roster.

While I agree that we are looking somewhat better than the last few years from a talent standpoint, I don't think we can blame QB and Hue as the only reason we haven't won a game.  Therefore the "so to speak" talent on this team is greatly exaggerated (imho) by most of the posters here.

Does a new QB, WR (possibly coach) make us a playoff contender next year?

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

Does a new QB, WR (possibly coach) make us a playoff contender next year?

Easily.

Our QB/WR situation, if you look at them as a unit, is the worst in football. Maaaaybe Chicago could compete with us there, but that's it. If you look at the numbers, our defense has been really good despite not having a true FS and running that freaking weird scheme, mainly built on our front seven being extremely good so far. On the other hand, our Oline has been very good overall, and our run game has been okay (when we actually use it...)

Now, does a new QB/HC/WR crew guarantee playoff contention? No way! We could flub it again. Easily.

But if you put a slight above average QB (let's say Cousins, Tyrod, etc.) on this team, give it two competent to above-average WRs, and a creative, adaptable HC/OC? Man, I absolutely think we could be playoff contenders. Especially in the AFC, I mean for goodness sakes, the 6th seed is probably going to be an actively tanking team (Buff), a team with a corpse at QB (BAL), or a massively dysfunctional team with one of the worst O-lines in the last few years (CIN).

Give us a solid QB, creative OC, and good WRs? Yeah, I think we could absolutely compete with that.

And we have the most cap space in the league and SIX top 65 picks to make it happen.

Yet again, will it happen? No idea. We mess up alllll the time. But it could. It just maybe could.

There has been very little progression over the last few years.   We haven't gone from 2 wins to 5 wins to 7 wins.  It's been consistently bad. We are not just bad this year, but bad at an epic level.  I just saw somewhere that we are actually something like 2 and 7 against the spread.  We are soooooooo bad, that vegas doesn't know how many points to give us each week.  If all of a sudden we are a playoff contender next year...I will be pleasantly shocked

I like Hue Jackson the man and want him to succeed, but I think he has been far worse of a coach than our FO has been at drafting guys. Honestly, if you think about it, they get hammered by the local and national media regarding their drafts, but the grilling hasn't been about the picks they have made, it's been about the couple of picks they didn't make (Wentz and Watson). Receivers have struggled. QB has regressed. RB game is non-existent. Playmakers aren't being utilized enough. You may not be able to teach a receiver how to run a 4.3 40, but you can teach a receiver how to catch and route run. 

Defensively we have been much better than last year. Sure, we have brought in some new guys, Garrett, Ogunjobi, we signed McCourty, who is having his best season arguably. Our issues have been at positions we predicted. Our CB2 could be addressed. We are playing 2 SS and no FS in the starting lineup. 

8 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

yes lived in cleveland for 5 years went to college at northland college.

went into the army got a job managing ranches out here

I was out there a month ago and absolutely loved it.

Planning to drive through again in June if our roadtrip we're planning comes to fruition.  

Archived