College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

40 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I would love to pair Peppers with Derwin James that would be a scary addition to our defense. 

1. Josh Rosen QB

1. DerwinJames SS/LB

2. Christian Wilkins UT

2. Josh Adams RB 

2. Christian Kirk WR

Are you really confident in Peppers at FS at this point?  He has looked like a borderline bust back there--totally lost in the shuffle.  He can hit and blitz.  It's really a dead horse & all, but it appears as if he has no place back there at FS.  Also, there is 0% chance Kirk makes it that far, as much as I'd like that.  I like your players & all, though why do people want a DT so bad?  It seems like it's actually a position of strength for us.  Also, Wilkins is going top-10 in some mocks so doubtful he makes it to #33.  Who knows, though?

11 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Are you really confident in Peppers at FS at this point?  He has looked like a borderline bust back there--totally lost in the shuffle.  He can hit and blitz.  It's really a dead horse & all, but it appears as if he has no place back there at FS.  Also, there is 0% chance Kirk makes it that far, as much as I'd like that.  I like your players & all, though why do people want a DT so bad?  It seems like it's actually a position of strength for us.  Also, Wilkins is going top-10 in some mocks so doubtful he makes it to #33.  Who knows, though?

I’m confident in peppers at FS he has the athleticism and the instincts. I just think he’s having some growing pains. He’s not us to being so far away from the play. He’s use to being 8-12 yds off the ball and right now he’s playing 20 back. 

If we get Derwin James, he'd be our FS and Peppers/Kindred would play SS. I'd like to just move Peppers to LB if we get James tbh.

James is more of a SS, but he's a physical marvel and can handle playing either role back there. I don't hate Peppers as a FS, he's just a non-factor playing that far away from everything. Peppers is not a guy you want away from the action. Can he be a centerfielder for us? I think he can, but it's taking away his strengths. He's not a bust there, he just isn't asked to make any plays for us other than open field tackles.

I'm fine with Derwin James, as he's a superstar. However, I don't think he'll be available around Houston's pick, nor do I think he hits one of our burning needs. As much as I don't think they're on the same level, Minkah Fitzpatrick makes more sense if we're going to grab a DB that high in the draft.

As far as Christian Kirk goes...someone said there's no chance he falls to the late 2nd round. I could absolutely see it happening. I'm underwhelmed by his tape and don't think he's a #1 receiver. He will be a nice #2 for someone, but that's about it. He'll probably go early in the 2nd, but if he has a meh combine, there's no reason that he couldn't slip into the late 2nd. He's a small gadgety WR not dissimilar from what Randall Cobb was at Kentucky. Cobb went late 2nd.

I could see Kirk falling to the second and I'd really like him in the slot

You gotta see what you think about Gordon. Do you trust him and play Corey outside and get a slot

Or if you don't trust him you know you need another outside guy like Courtland Sutton or Anthonio Callaway 

and to me James shouldnt be playing free safety on a consistent basis thats not maximizing his talent

To make James is like the Bugatti version of Kindred an in the box safety that can play some middle, but hes at his best in the box

James to me would've been the perfect fit next to Malik Hooker

Minkah who is a stud is a better fit next to Peppers

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's a beast. But I'm not spending a top 10 pick on a future starter. He isn't an OG and he's not beating out Thomas. So he'd be a slight upgrade over Shon Coleman, who doesn't need to be upgraded. Not with all the other holes on our team.

If we go QB in round 1 as our first pick, then Brown becomes a solid choice with Houston's pick. He is the best LT prospect in the draft and a sure fire top 10 pick. Thomas could easily retire this year or next and we would have nothing to protect our QB's blindside. You play him at RT for a season if Thomas returns to get him used to the speed of the NFL and you have one of the best OL's in the NFL. RB's and WR's can be found in round 2, if our scouts and GM are up to snuff, LT's are found in round 1 almost all the time.

46 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I could see Kirk falling to the second and I'd really like him in the slot

You gotta see what you think about Gordon. Do you trust him and play Corey outside and get a slot

Or if you don't trust him you know you need another outside guy like Courtland Sutton or Anthonio Callaway 

and to me James shouldnt be playing free safety on a consistent basis thats not maximizing his talent

To make James is like the Bugatti version of Kindred an in the box safety that can play some middle, but hes at his best in the box

James to me would've been the perfect fit next to Malik Hooker

Minkah who is a stud is a better fit next to Peppers

I fully agree that James and Peppers cannot play on the same team. They are both SS and not a good fit as a FS.

Calloway is the second coming of Gordon, so I doubt he is in our thinking. Huge character issues.

The rest of his draft is pretty solid, but I am totally scared Thomas may well be done and leave a huge gap at LT and we do not want our new QB to not be protected on his blindside.

Minkah is going to be a top 5 pick, so getting him would be tough.

I have zero faith in Gordon, so we need to draft his replacement in round 2 at the latest. Even if he can perform at a decent level, he would be a cancer in the locker room especially for rookies.

I love Duke but I don't think we can rely on him to carry the load for 16 games, his body won't hold up. I would love to take a guy in the later rounds like Martez Carter to be insurance for our running back/receiving threat moving forward.

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

If we go QB in round 1 as our first pick, then Brown becomes a solid choice with Houston's pick. He is the best LT prospect in the draft and a sure fire top 10 pick. Thomas could easily retire this year or next and we would have nothing to protect our QB's blindside. You play him at RT for a season if Thomas returns to get him used to the speed of the NFL and you have one of the best OL's in the NFL. RB's and WR's can be found in round 2, if our scouts and GM are up to snuff, LT's are found in round 1 almost all the time.

I love Brown more than anyone and would love for him to follow his pops legacy but I would rather use that premium pick on a stud would drop to us at that pick, with this draft you can easily get a guy like Chukwuma Okorafor, Jamarco Jones, Desmond Harrison, or a Connor Williams or Trey Adams if they decide to declare in the 2nd and 3rd

15 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I love Duke but I don't think we can rely on him to carry the load for 16 games, his body won't hold up. I would love to take a guy in the later rounds like Martez Carter to be insurance for our running back/receiving threat moving forward.

I love Brown more than anyone and would love for him to follow his pops legacy but I would rather use that premium pick on a stud would drop to us at that pick, with this draft you can easily get a guy like Chukwuma Okorafor, Jamarco Jones, Desmond Harrison, or a Connor Williams or Trey Adams if they decide to declare in the 2nd and 3rd

Almost all of the top LT's have been top 10 picks going back quite a few years. Remember, you are risking the career of your QB if you cannot protect his blindside. Most GM's consider LT, the second most important position on offense after the QB. Like QB, it is a position you simply have to use a high pick on to raise the odds for success.

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Almost all of the top LT's have been top 10 picks going back quite a few years. Remember, you are risking the career of your QB if you cannot protect his blindside. Most GM's consider LT, the second most important position on offense after the QB. Like QB, it is a position you simply have to use a high pick on to raise the odds for success.

Absolutely true about the importance of LT, but I personally don't see the point in using a top 10 pick when JT will most likely be back, the priority of getting a future LT is high but not every team uses a top 10 pick to replace a guy, also I though Cam Robinson was by far the best OL last year and he went pick #34 and Jason Spriggs went pick #48 the year before. I think the perfect way to go is to get a raw guy with tremendous upside like a Terron Armstead type of guy to sit behind JT for two years then be ready to go, heck who's to say we don't already have him in Rod Johnson?

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, NudeTayne said:

It indeed is a position of strength for us, but when was the last time we had ANY sort of significant pressure from the interior? Also why do you think we always have to do an A Gap blitz with our LBs all the time? If we had any sort of interior pressure with our DTs, we could actually keep our linebackers deep and not blitz them on 3rd down. I've been saying this for the last 3 years, we have had zero pressure from the inside, that is a huge issue for us.

Caleb Brantley needs more reps BTW....

Drafting "depth" for when guys leave/retire, especially on the OL, while neglecting the skill positions, especially on the offensive side of the ball, is the most BROWNS THING EVER.

*Drafting a LT in the Top 10 while we still have JT, and Drango hasn't looked great or terrible. He's serviceable

*Cameron Erving for Alex Mack

If they do that, I want the entire regime gone, top down, including a full fledged FBI investigation of Truckstop Jimmy, forcing him to sell. Look at our WR, RB, QB, and secondary. Few of them are NFL caliber, let alone serviceable or good, let alone elite. We have Bitonio, Tretter, and Zeitler, with a decent RT and ok LT without JT, let alone with him. Address the other spots please. By all means go BPA, but those will be skill guys anyways most likely.

Archived