College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

26 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lord don’t go LT over impact player again. We had the best every for 10 years and didn’t do jack. Get one once joe retires. 

Welcome to Cleveland bud.

Unless the DL is getting blown 5 yards off the ball and the qb has 8 seconds to throw, some folks will insist the OL is the problem.

Sign Allen Robinson, draft Rosen #1, move up from Houston's top 10 pick to top 5 and draft Barkley. Sign a corner. I have so much fun playing GM with Cleveland this year lol

It's like the anti-Jags approach. Build the OL and the rest off the offense, then worry about the defense. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What year did we trade back so far we missed all the impact players?

To be fair:

2016 - Wentz, Bosa, Elliott and Ramsey

2017 - only DeShaun Watson

That's with hindsight as most of us at the time were content to skip the QB as there is always an uncertainty with that position and rarely a consensus as to who's the impact guy. But Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey and Zeke (though I don't care for RBs that high personally) were pretty nailed on impact players.

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

To be fair:

That's with hindsight as most of us at the time were content to skip the QB as there is always an uncertainty with that position and rarely a consensus as to who's the impact guy. But Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey and Zeke (though I don't care for RBs that high personally) were pretty nailed on impact players.

My point is more that there were also impact players available after we picked as well.

While we're discussing those guys, take a look around them at the talent they play with and what do you see? Rosters full of capable vets to help them transition and reduce what the team needs from them to succeed.

The fact we drafted like 3 good players from 2013-15 is hurting this team far more than anything Sashi has in 18 months.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My point is more that there were also impact players available after we picked as well.

While we're discussing those guys, take a look around them at the talent they play with and what do you see? Rosters full of capable vets to help them transition and reduce what the team needs from them to succeed.

The fact we drafted like 3 good players from 2013-15 is hurting this team far more than anything Sashi has in 18 months.

I agree with that. There should always be impact talent anywhere in the first round if you draft competently. Maybe Coleman ends up being that. But I do think there's something to be said for just drafting the truly high-end, blue chip talent when it falls into your lap.

Wentz bothers me massively I can't lie. It's one thing you or I or anyone else on here being okay with the trade down and not being sold on him at the time, but I expect the man being paid to run the team to have better judgment than us. He's got to get that right. Deeming him 'not Top 20' is a terrible error in judgment. But fair enough on the QBs, maybe he thought true roster was just so far off etc. I don't agree with it because I think a great QB will be great regardless, in the end. But I half understand it with the QB position.

But Bosa and Ramsey for example. I feel like everyone knew they were the two best defensive players in the draft. And we traded our way out of them to end up with Corey Coleman, who might come good but was never considered the high-end mercurial talents that those two were.

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

To be fair:

I'd add Hooker to the 2017 list (though he got injured). I'm also taking about the year we passed on Julio Jones to grab Phil Taylor, the year Mangina traded back for like a 3rd round pick and a bunch of washed up Jets (though we did make a solid pick with Mack)...I'm just sick of it. We need to win Now.

1 hour ago, dawgdish said:

I'd add Hooker to the 2017 list (though he got injured). I'm also taking about the year we passed on Julio Jones to grab Phil Taylor, the year Mangina traded back for like a 3rd round pick and a bunch of washed up Jets (though we did make a solid pick with Mack)...I'm just sick of it. We need to win Now.

To be fair, Hooker's main risk was him getting injured.  Everyone could agree in here that he was a great prospect, but many of us were a bit too skittish because of his injuries/perceived frailty--same with Marshon Lattimore, though it would've been interesting to see if the Browns had stayed pat and grabbed him if he hadn't gotten picked right before us.  The same can be said with Watson, whom now has had two acl tears by the end of his rookie season and is a mobile passer.  He looks all world, but it's early yet.

To address Bosa on the list, there was no slam dunk around him at all.  Despite him being a tOSU and all, it was surprising how few people wanted to grab him high.  Many thought he'd be there after the trade down.  I can only remember @Thomas5737 going nuts wanting Bosa though sure there were a few others.  I liked him but also didn't think he'd go top-5.  The NFL is interesting in that Bosa was going around pick #8 in many mocks.  If we trade down and then grab him there, we're geniuses.  If Coco doesn't have two fluke injuries, he may have shown enough to give him a bit more leeway with most posters in here.  But yeah, I'll also say that I was excited about possibly getting Ramsey.  Hindsight, but he or Bosa would've been a great pick at #2.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

To be fair, Hooker's main risk was him getting injured.  Everyone could agree in here that he was a great prospect, but many of us were a bit too skittish because of his injuries/perceived frailty--same with Marshon Lattimore, though it would've been interesting to see if the Browns had stayed pat and grabbed him if he hadn't gotten picked right before us.  The same can be said with Watson, whom now has had two acl tears by the end of his rookie season and is a mobile passer.  He looks all world, but it's early yet.

To address Bosa on the list, there was no slam dunk around him at all.  Despite him being a tOSU and all, it was surprising how few people wanted to grab him high.  Many thought he'd be there after the trade down.  I can only remember @Thomas5737 going nuts wanting Bosa though sure there were a few others.  I liked him but also didn't think he'd go top-5.  The NFL is interesting in that Bosa was going around pick #8 in many mocks.  If we trade down and then grab him there, we're geniuses.  If Coco doesn't have two fluke injuries, he may have shown enough to give him a bit more leeway with most posters in here.

To be fair a lot of people were really high on Bosa but lost interest in him for some reason. Maybe character concerns? I just stayed on the train.

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

To be fair a lot of people were really high on Bosa but lost interest in him for some reason. Maybe character concerns? I just stayed on the train.

I remember some discussing over the fact that he wasn't very big for a DE.  I will go out on a ledge here and think it may have been that combo of him being the size he was at coupled possibly with a lack of melanin that worried some for the position he was at.  I don't really wanna go further with that--just a hunch & all from how I remember it.

8 hours ago, dawgdish said:

We could have had Mo Wilkerson instead of Taylor too, the talent was there. Justin Houston instead of Little a round later as well...

Who did you want Mangini to take at 5? BJ Raji?  At this point you're complaining just to complain.

Archived