College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

I forgot how many great football players come from rounds 4 and 5.

I am more than willing to sacrifice a few scrubs to land by far the best players in the draft. 

And comparing the 7 picks St. Louis gave up to get Goff and the picks I said to give up are comparing apples to oranges. They gave up (2) 1st, (2) 2nd's and a 3rd. Five picks in the Top 70. I have us give 3 picks in the Top 60. 4th and 5th round picks are special teams/replacement level additions. I could care less about those picks. I'd also much rather give up 2 second round picks and some late round flier picks than to give up a 1st next year to move up like most teams moving up into the Top 5 often do. I think it is a luxury to have so many 2nd's so we can use them to move up instead of having to use the true valuable asset in a future 1st rounder.

The entire fan base gets butt hurt when a trade down is mentioned and then they get but hurt when a trade up is mentioned. Everyone in Cleveland is afraid of any sort of risk for fear of failure maybe that is why we are still failing. Take a risk and shoot for the stars. Darnald and Barkley would hands down be the biggest star power this team has seen in a very long time certainly not since the franchises rebirth.

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

In a RB rich draft, that is an INSANE overpay for a RB. I mean, in ANY draft that's bad, but in one with multiple possible 1st round RBs? That's crazy.

You are giving up SEVEN picks for one guy. SEVEN. As in roughly what STL gave up to move up like 14 spots to take a QB #1 overall. I mean. Dang man. I don't think I would trade that much for ANY RB including Fournette/Zeke/Etc.

Yeah please no to a move up to get an RB. Barkley is not a generational talent. We can get a good one round two. If we’re desperate, after we finally draft that franchise qb ie Darnold or Rosen. Prayer emoji

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I am all in on moving up in this draft.

We have way more than enough young, later round picks than any team needs.

I would use the boatload of picks we have to go for 4-6 impact players and next year picks.

Same. We should try to get the best QB, RB, and WR available for sure. 

3 hours ago, pnies20 said:

1. Sam Darnold

1. Derwin James

2. Courtland Sutton (trade up if need be)

2. Sony Michel

2. Carlton Davis

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Minkah instead of Derwin and I am good with this.

Agreed other than passer--talked about that enough already though so moving on--though think that's probably too high for Michel.  That said, I like him.  It's just that this draft is so deep at RB that I believe we can get a back of his caliber in the third round, maybe even fourth.  We have Barkley, Guice, Chubb, Michel, Damien Harris, Bryce Love, Ronald Jones, L.J. Scott and a few others.  I could see all these guys as RB1s. 

This would free up our 2nd 2nd rounder to be used on a different position, with RB being our pick at #65--just looking at which positions are deepest in this draft.

Traditionally, teams only trade up in the draft into the top 5, to secure a QB. Nobody trades up for a RB and gives up a boatload of picks. Weak teams only trade up for a QB, they simply need every pick they have to fill a huge # of positions. Stars do come out of round 2 and plenty of starters are found in round 3 and we need all we can lay our hands on.

I could see trading back in round 2 or 3, if the players available when we pick, do not fill positions of need and therefore have little value for a rebuilding franchise. Adding picks for trading back, can often prove positive. The draft is a crap shoot at best and the more picks you have, increases your chances for success.

If this FO gives up picks to move up, they should be shot for their incompetence.

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah please no to a move up to get an RB. Barkley is not a generational talent. We can get a good one round two. If we’re desperate, after we finally draft that franchise qb ie Darnold or Rosen. Prayer emoji

Completely agree. This is a very good and deep RB class. RoJo in the 2nd is one of many that I have as better value than Barkley Top 5/trade up.

I wouldn't give up a Top 5 pick for any RB currently in the league, so why would I for Barkley?

Y'all know where I stand on Barkley and running backs in the first in general, so there's that.

For those of you wanting to trade a lot of picks for one top 5 pick, I'm not sure you fellas have been paying attention to what this front office has been doing the last two years. They may move up a bit to grab a guy they like such as Njoku, but they're not giving up a slew of picks to do so. 

With the fact that we have no extra picks in 2019 or 2020, I'd be almost shocked if we don't move down with the Texans pick. I could also see a second rounder this year being moved for a 1st next year if the opportunity presents itself.

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Y'all know where I stand on Barkley and running backs in the first in general, so there's that.

Count me on this bandwagon as well, unless we trade up a touch to get someone like the 2nd best RB prospect in the draft like we did with our TE in Njoku last year.

For those of you wanting to trade a lot of picks for one top 5 pick, I'm not sure you fellas have been paying attention to what this front office has been doing the last two years. They may move up a bit to grab a guy they like such as Njoku, but they're not giving up a slew of picks to do so. 

Yep, pretty much. That's fine for everyone if we're doing a mock draft like "If I were in charge", but if people legitimately think our FO are going to do this, it's probably time for a wake-up call.

With the fact that we have no extra picks in 2019 or 2020, I'd be almost shocked if we don't move down with the Texans pick.

I begrudgingly agree with you. I don't like doing this because I'd rather get blue chip talent that this team desperately needs, but I think that we could probably bet on this happening. As long as we get our Franchise QB with the #1 overall pick and he's the real deal, I won't really care though.

I could also see a second rounder this year being moved for a 1st next year if the opportunity presents itself.

I'd rather do this once or even twice than trade the Texans pick if there's someone like Minkah available. If all the "blue chippers" at skill positions, especially the WR and DB spots, are gone, then I'd consider trading that Texans pick (assuming we've gotten that QBOTF at #1).

30 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Browns need to go BPA at every pick. Cant pick and choose. Just get talent. every position group could use a boost of talent.

I agree to a point, but:

If we draft an OT in the Top 10, I'll scream.

If we draft an ILB in the 1st/2nd, I'll scream.

If we draft a DE in the 1st/2nd, I'll scream.

If we draft an OG in the 1st/2nd, I'll scream.

Aside from this, I 100% agree. Heck, I wouldn't mind a stud TE in the mix somewhere. A receiving/blocking threat that creates personnel mis-matches (2 TE sets, will we run or pass?) and Red Zone threat would be fine to pair with Njoku.

Archived