College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Let's assume it was Dorsey who loved Mahomes and make the deal to go get him, and Andy Reid was never all in on the deal. Does Dorsey try and make a deal with KC to get him from them? Remember before the draft Mahomes was rumored to be the guy Hue really wanted, and when they traded ahead of us and took him, I don't think the next trade down was planned ahead of time. 

24 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Let's assume it was Dorsey who loved Mahomes and make the deal to go get him, and Andy Reid was never all in on the deal. Does Dorsey try and make a deal with KC to get him from them? Remember before the draft Mahomes was rumored to be the guy Hue really wanted, and when they traded ahead of us and took him, I don't think the next trade down was planned ahead of time. 

I believe Reid ran the show in KC and got rid of Dorsey in a bitter power struggle. It was Reid who wanted Smith and Mahomes. There is still a huge question mark on how good a drafter Dorsey is? But that would never stop Haslam from hiring him, now would it???

I am almost absolutely sure that if he declares, Darnold is a Brown, end of discussion!!! At least with a rookie QB, most owners will give the GM who drafted him, 3 seasons to see if he made the right pick. So, you can be sure, Dorsey will not go the Sashi route and wait to draft a QB with the 1st overall pick, not of he wants to stay for more than 2 years.

I've said it before, but it's that time of the year for me to shamelessly promote my favorite draft prospect(s):

I personally love James Washington's game at the WR position more than anyone else in the draft. He's got a very nice frame, is athletic, aggressive, naturally uses body position to box out defensive backs on throws, is acrobatic in the air, and very fluid. Quarterbacks in the NFL will be confident to throw him occasional/regular 50/50 balls and he's got natural big play ability.

The lack of a route tree may slow him at first, but I have confidence in his ability to pick that up. Even as a rookie he will be able to help out whoever drafts him in the Red Zone from word go. If he slips out of the first round, I think he'll be a steal in the high 2nd...but I could see someone towards the back end of the first pulling the trigger on him.

If we were to do something like Darnold at #1 and then trade #7 for a HAUL again, I'd use that back-end first to nab this guy.

WR: Coleman

WR: Washington

WR: Gordon

TE: Njoku

Try that on in a 3 WR set or in the Red Zone.

...and he's an insurance policy for Gordon. If I'm Sam Darnold I'm loving that, especially with a solid OL to block up front.

Not sure if the quote below lends any insight whatsoever (probably not) into what Dorsey looks for when it comes to QB's but I thought it was interesting. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article147392189.html

At 10:49 Thursday evening, John Dorsey walked to the front of the room with a sly smile on his face. For a notorious draft pick-hound who had just surrendered his 2018 first-round choice to move up 17 selections in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft, the enthusiasm in the Chiefs’ general manager’s demeanor was palpable.

The reason was simple. He loved the man the Chiefs just selected, Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes II. So much so that Dorsey passed on another QB he liked, Clemson star Deshaun Watson, who had just last season won a national championship.

“Listen, Deshaun Watson is a great kid; he’s the senior who battled for the title, who won the title,” Dorsey said. “Those are things that are very special. But at the end of the day, we had Mahomes rated above Watson.”

This is significant, considering the Chiefs interviewed all the top quarterback prospects extensively. They brought them to Kansas City and tested their ability to learn and retain plays, a significant concern considering none had experience with the lengthy play-calls that are a fundamental component of Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s offense.

Afterward, Dorsey had the coaching staff rank the quarterbacks on their ability to learn and retain information.

“And (Mahomes) was No. 1,” said Dorsey, who also ranked Mahomes above North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky, who ended up getting drafted second overall by Chicago on Thursday.

Peace!!!

8 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Probably waiting to see what Darnold does so he knows if it's safe to come out or not.

¬¬

At this time of the year, prospects hate getting bothered by the news media over whether or not they will declare. They will say anything to get them off their backs. All they want is to finish the season then make up their minds whether to declare or not. Some will even say they will not declare just to get rid of the media, when in fact they actually do intend to declare. Most just want to be left alone to finish their Bowl game, before having to handle a million questions about whether or not they will declare.

QBs likely go 1 and 2 in the draft even if the team that’s picking at 2 doesn’t want a QB. If there a projected franchise QB at 2, someone will trade up to secure that option, even the #3 to secure the pick, as we saw last year. Darnold and Rosen shouldn’t overthink this one. As for anyone not wanting to be a Brown, if you are a franchise QB, you go to a team bad enough to pick high in the draft. That’s the way it works. If you are adamant that you won’t play for a certain team, you still get taken #1 and get traded. Going back to school makes no sense unless it’s really just what you’d enjoy doing and don’t care about the money. 

11 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Not sure if the quote below lends any insight whatsoever (probably not) into what Dorsey looks for when it comes to QB's but I thought it was interesting. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article147392189.html

Peace!!!

If you think about it, the QB prospect closest to Mahomes of the potential first rounders in this class has gotta be Mayfield. Tell me I'm wrong (but only if you mean it)

30 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

If you think about it, the QB prospect closest to Mahomes of the potential first rounders in this class has gotta be Mayfield. Tell me I'm wrong (but only if you mean it)

It is an interesting article, but let us not forget that Mahomes has proved nothing as yet about his potential to be a franchise QB. Getting drafted top 10 is one thing, actually producing is quite another, so the jury is still out on Mahomes.

I do not see the Mayfield comparison at all. Two totally different types.

40 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

You are wrong.

Josh Allen.

Although Josh Allen has the football IQ of a rock. I cannot speak too much for Mahomes but what little I did watch he seemed a lot smarter on the field than Allen.

Archived