Steelers Pick Up 5th Year Option on Bud Dupree

JLambert58

Steelers have decided to commit $9.5M to Bud Dupree for 2019.  I know they can pull it or negotiate a long-term deal, but I just can't see how you pay him that much with what he's done so far.  Really hoping the light goes on this year, but not counting on it.  

27 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Steelers have decided to commit $9.5M to Bud Dupree for 2019.  I know they can pull it or negotiate a long-term deal, but I just can't see how you pay him that much with what he's done so far.  Really hoping the light goes on this year, but not counting on it.  

Crazy amount of money but the roster kind of forced their hand. I actually think the FO is Ok/satisfied with Dupree's play. 

32 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Crazy amount of money but the roster kind of forced their hand. I actually think the FO is Ok/satisfied with Dupree's play. 

You sound like me ;)

I think there's some that, and some they just don't see a guy in this draft that they like enough to push Dupree out.  Because if they didn't what's the alternative for next year?  If he plays well this year then you kept him.  If you didn't do this and he plays well he's gone.  If he doesn't play well and isn't injured you can cut him.  If you don't draft anyone, and you let him walk, you either need to spend in FA or your forced your hand in the draft.

Look at it this way: This is a 2 year $11 million deal with $2.6mil guaranteed, the rest guaranteed for injury.  If we signed a FA to that deal we would be applauding that.

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Look at it this way: This is a 2 year $11 million deal with $2.6mil guaranteed, the rest guaranteed for injury.  If we signed a FA to that deal we would be applauding that.

Optimistic way of looking at it. 

On the plus side, he is phenomenal athlete entering into the "prime" of his career.  Maybe with three years under his belt now, he takes a step forward.   This will be his "prove it" year. 

I dont think the 5th year option should be made a big deal out of. Its still essentially his contract year, barring a major injury. Play well, get paid. Don't play well, call Jarvis Jones to see what he is doing now. 

Just a random thought on Dupree, but I sure hope Joey Porter is making him live with him this summer and training for about 12 hours every day. Get the feeling Porter's fate will be tied to Duprees. Porter has had a hand in coaching 3 OLBs drafted in the first round during his tenure as a coach with us. If two fail, I doubt he will get the chance to see the third through to completion...

Id say this , hes done more than Timmons did in his first 4 years. I mostly am annoyed by him because of his mouth/antics and the stuff he said about Deebo, whether there was truth to it or not. He hasn't earned the right IMO to call any vet out like that, especially one that has done so much for the franchise. Was a definite punk move. 

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Id say this , hes done more than Timmons did in his first 4 years. I mostly am annoyed by him because of his mouth/antics and the stuff he said about Deebo, whether there was truth to it or not. He hasn't earned the right IMO to call any vet out like that, especially one that has done so much for the franchise. Was a definite punk move. 

same here, but more important to me is could dupree back it up with play and he has proven to be  more of a back up. Bad mouthing legend while not being worthy of being a starter just isn't what this team needs. Dupree gets garbage stats, and was ranked near the bottom at OLB. This is a bad move by the FO, but they were limited I suppose based on UFA and the lack of talent in the draft.  We all want this to work out,  but wait and see. 

If the team doesn't want him back next year , is there a penalty for the team?

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

same here, but more important to me is could dupree back it up with play and he has proven to be  more of a back up. Bad mouthing legend while not being worthy of being a starter just isn't what this team needs. Dupree gets garbage stats, and was ranked near the bottom at OLB. This is a bad move by the FO, but they were limited I suppose based on UFA and the lack of talent in the draft.  We all want this to work out,  but wait and see. 

If the team doesn't want him back next year , is there a penalty for the team?

As far as i understand they can cut him, its only guaranteed due to injury. There is no signing bonus to deal with so there shouldn't be anything as far as dead cap if hes cut before next season. 

5 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

As far as i understand they can cut him, its only guaranteed due to injury. There is no signing bonus to deal with so there shouldn't be anything as far as dead cap if hes cut before next season. 

it's not all that bad then. Maybe they will rush Watt most of the time and drop dupree into coverage as long as Watt is healthy. 

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Still say Id be interested to see if Bud could play inside, perhaps hes better suited as a 4-3 SLB. 

same here. I don't care for the idea of a team having to change scheme for a single player, but to me this team would be better off with such a change. Heyward at LDE, Watt at RDE,  Dupree can chase and hit, and he has no problems doing that. If Watt breaks out, they might have to make such a change as there is no point in dropping the best pass rusher. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont think the 5th year option should be made a big deal out of. Its still essentially his contract year, barring a major injury. Play well, get paid. Don't play well, call Jarvis Jones to see what he is doing now. 

Just a random thought on Dupree, but I sure hope Joey Porter is making him live with him this summer and training for about 12 hours every day. Get the feeling Porter's fate will be tied to Duprees. Porter has had a hand in coaching 3 OLBs drafted in the first round during his tenure as a coach with us. If two fail, I doubt he will get the chance to see the third through to completion...

I never knew this but chuck smith thought dupree was going to break out  last yearO.o. The reality is that in the NFL, if you are slow off the snap, you won't defeat the OT. Your stats instead, will be garbage and deceiving. This is why watching the game is more telling and in our case annoying .  Jarvis was doing well in the contest on a steelers forum for field RD1 picks. I think edwards or stephens will win though.

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I believe what he said was true. Obciously we will never know. But he isn't the guy that should have said it imo.

Im happy with this decision and allow me to explain why.

Dupree has shown very little progress but imo has shown flashes of potentially great ability. If we give up on him after 4 years, is it too early? Maybe, as little progression as he has shown he is still well beyond Jarvis Jones.

If we give up on him adtwr year 5 because of a lack of progression Pittsburgh can honestly say they gave him every opportunity and it wasnt meant to be. If they didn't exercise the option and he went on to be great elsewhere, we as fans would be left wondering what could have been and maybe questioning the decision making.

This route leaves nothing left to question when the dust settles for better or worse.

What did he say about Silverback?  I've been too busy to follow the news as much as usual.  Dupree is a pretty damn mediocre player to be paying that much.  I'd still draft Hubbard if he's there or Vander Esch (or another stud LB/S isn't) and worry about trading Dupree if he blows up this year, or Hubbard if needed.  It's too important of a position to get by on mediocrity.

Archived