Steelers Pick Up 5th Year Option on Bud Dupree

JLambert58

12 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Id say this , hes done more than Timmons did in his first 4 years.

I mean, the first two years, Timmons was basically a rotational player and was moved around more than he should have been.   Year 3 he started to find his groove.   Year 4 he was one of the best ILBs in the league.   He improved each of his first 4 years in the league. 

Dupree is going into his 4th year, so maybe he will take a huge step forward....but I thought that last year.....and the year before.   And thats the problem...Unlike Timmons, ive seen next to no development from Dupree.     I compare him more to Jarvis Jones at this point than I do Timmons.      Jones didnt improve at all in 4 years, and Im struggling to see where Dupree has improved.     He is still a workout warrior who doesnt seem to have improved notably in any area since he has been drafted. 

Bottom line....I dont see what warranted this move.      I mean, I guess they are still hopeful because he is young and dont want to be in a bad position if he just so happens to break out this year.   However, based on what he has actually shown to this point, I see a backup caliber player at best.    The main reason this scares me is because I worry that they dont view OLB as a need this year, and are going to remain content with Dupree's ongoing mediocrity.  

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I mean, the first two years, Timmons was basically a rotational player and was moved around more than he should have been.   Year 3 he started to find his groove.   Year 4 he was one of the best ILBs in the league.   He improved each of his first 4 years in the league. 

Dupree is going into his 4th year, so maybe he will take a huge step forward....but I thought that last year.....and the year before.   And thats the problem...Unlike Timmons, ive seen next to no development from Dupree.     I compare him more to Jarvis Jones at this point than I do Timmons.      Jones didnt improve at all in 4 years, and Im struggling to see where Dupree has improved.     He is still a workout warrior who doesnt seem to have improved notably in any area since he has been drafted. 

Bottom line....I dont see what warranted this move.      I mean, I guess they are still hopeful because he is young and dont want to be in a bad position if he just so happens to break out this year.   However, based on what he has actually shown to this point, I see a backup caliber player at best.    The main reason this scares me is because I worry that they dont view OLB as a need this year, and are going to remain content with Dupree's ongoing mediocrity.  

I would say dupree is similar to jones in a few ways such as  lack of improvement and not appearing to have it. Dupree does work out and will chase and hit, Jarvis didn't like working out as they said.  It helps to get stronger etc, but jarvis didn't.  I doubt we will run into another jarvis but bud is being mentioned a lot here next to jarvis, so he better do something about it.  What I like about dupree is that he has no problems with effort, jarvis was a different story.

The bold is what I see as a problem, they accept mediocrity and just put their hands up and say they tried9_9

Timmons speed really was effective inside, and he kept getting better . If they try dupree inside with similar results, then that works out for the better. If he can't rush the passer, then let him cover or go inside. I just don't think he will get pressure under 4 seconds vs an OT that is healthy/decent. Watt has and will , so let Watt do that.

23 hours ago, warfelg said:

You sound like me ;)

I think there's some that, and some they just don't see a guy in this draft that they like enough to push Dupree out.  Because if they didn't what's the alternative for next year?  If he plays well this year then you kept him.  If you didn't do this and he plays well he's gone.  If he doesn't play well and isn't injured you can cut him.  If you don't draft anyone, and you let him walk, you either need to spend in FA or your forced your hand in the draft.

Look at it this way: This is a 2 year $11 million deal with $2.6mil guaranteed, the rest guaranteed for injury.  If we signed a FA to that deal we would be applauding that.

Then can they get out of this deal next year and if they do what is the cap hit? 

43 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Then can they get out of this deal next year and if they do what is the cap hit? 

No cap hit as long as he isn’t injured. The injury guarantee is the risk of the option. If Dupree stays healthy and sucks we can walk with no repercussions. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

No cap hit as long as he isn’t injured. The injury guarantee is the risk of the option. If Dupree stays healthy and sucks we can walk with no repercussions. 

as for the injury, if he requires surgery but is expected healthy by june 1, can we cut him then without a cap hit?

Archived