Brandon Brooks Restructures; Creates $6.37 mil in space

Kiltman

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

And maybe Brooks structured his original contract in such a way to delay some money because "whatever reason applies". Money management/spending issues, lawsuit requirement/possible payouts, taxes, general preference, etc. To naturally assume Brooks is just getting guranteed money upfront and it's not effecting his bottom line or possible plans he had for his financial endevours is near sighted. The fact is, he did something with his guranteed contract to benefit others to help promote the health of the team. Was it some charitable, magnanimous act? Not exactly. But it was indeed something that wasn't necessary or required for him to do. 

Also, cite me if I wrong but there were reports out he was going to be restructured months ago. And I think it was just faulty reporting and nothing was actually in the works. But someone, maybe just a fan, asked him about it on twitter and his answer was very flipp. Something like, "uhhh, not if you know something I don't." So, obviously there was some level of understanding that an agreement needed to be yielded to fascilitate a restructure. Something that wouldn't be done without his total accord to the Eagles. I don't understand why someone comes in and tries to belittle the gesture. Just kind of unnecessary. If I tell my debtors that they can change the language of our agreement, whether it ultimately benefits me in the end, is still an act of reason and virtue. Still should be commended. 

That is literally what a restructure does. It takes unguarenteed base salary and converts into guarenteed signing bonus and spreads it over the life of the contract to lower a cap hit. This is in zero way any sort of sacrifice for Brooks. It mutually benefits both parties, but for the longterm, it is better for Brooks than the Eagles. 

Now I'm not sure how the signing bonus is actually paid, but I am pretty sure when a player gets a SB that is prorated across several years, they get that check up front, but for cap purposes it is spread across multiple years.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

That is literally what a restructure does. It takes unguarenteed base salary and converts into guarenteed signing bonus and spreads it over the life of the contract to lower a cap hit. This is in zero way any sort of sacrifice for Brooks. It mutually benefits both parties, but for the longterm, it is better for Brooks than the Eagles. 

Now I'm not sure how the signing bonus is actually paid, but I am pretty sure when a player gets a SB that is prorated across several years, they get that check up front, but for cap purposes it is spread across multiple years.

You and the Broncosfan guy need to take the money out of the equation. You're dismissing the meal for the ingredients. It's not about the money. It's the fact that he did something to free up resources to give flexibility to the team to allocate some to a deserving player. An act, that if not directly given permission to do, doesn't happen. It wasn't forced, required or even expected. Should he be made a deity for it? Of course not. But it was a favor to the team that was personally unnecessary that he fulfilled anyway. He was getting his money anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

You and the Broncosfan guy need to take the money out of the equation. You're dismissing the meal for the ingredients. It's not about the money. It's the fact that he did something to free up resources to give flexibility to the team to allocate some to a deserving player. An act, that if not directly given permission to do, doesn't happen. It wasn't forced, required or even expected. Should he be made a deity for it? Of course not. But it was a favor to the team that was personally unnecessary that he fulfilled anyway. He was getting his money anyway. 

It is about the money........

I love that you beleive that the players are giving away money for the betterment of each other, i mean it is completely inaccurate, but a beautiful picture you are painting none the less

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It is about the money........

I love that you beleive that the players are giving away money for the betterment of each other, i mean it is completely inaccurate, but a beautiful picture you are painting none the less

Huh?

I know Brooks isn't giving money to Foles. When did I say that?

But if Brooks doesn't rework his deal, there's no money available to even offer Foles any money. 

Let me be clear; it's not about the money. It was about the gesture. A gesture by Brooks that wasn't necessary for him to do.

18 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Huh?

I know Brooks isn't giving money to Foles. When did I say that?

But if Brooks doesn't rework his deal, there's no money available to even offer Foles any money. 

Let me be clear; it's not about the money. It was about the gesture. A gesture by Brooks that wasn't necessary for him to do.

A restructured deal is better for the player that restructures. It isnt a gesture. Its a better deal for him

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

A restructured deal is better for the player that restructures. It isnt a gesture. Its a better deal for him

Because he's getting the same negotiated money upfront instead of down the line? What's the difference? How is that any better? It's just moving promised money tomorrow to today. I see it as 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. 

By the way, how is it not a good faith gesture?

Howie: Brandon we're looking to move some of your money to a bonus to free up space for this year. What do you think?

Brandon: Nah, I'd rather stick to how we originally negotiated the deal. I have reasons to not change the contract. 

Then what?

There's no skin off Brandon's back. But also he has no reason to rework anything. I see it as a "Hey, why not. It'll benefit the team and Nick and it won't change my situation much". 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Because he's getting the same negotiated money upfront instead of down the line? What's the difference? How is that any better? It's just moving promised money tomorrow to today. I see it as 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. 

It's not the same. It turns unguaranteed base salary into guaranteed signing bonus. So it wasn't promised before and now it is. So it is a better deal. I don't understand what is so difficult about this concept. 

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It's not the same. It turns unguaranteed base salary into guaranteed signing bonus. So it wasn't promised before and now it is. So it is a better deal. I don't understand what is so difficult about this concept. 

Are you not expecting Brooks to be on the team this year or something? They are giving him his whole salary for this year into basically two bonus installments. His payout is just different. What makes it better? That it's upfront? Whoopdedoo. 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Are you not expecting Brooks to be on the team this year or something? They are giving him his whole salary for this year into basically two bonus installments. His payout is just different. What makes it better? That it's upfront? Whoopdedoo. 

Guaranteed money > not guaranteed money

At this point, you are just arguing with me because you want to be right haha 

5 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Guaranteed money > not guaranteed money

At this point, you are just arguing with me because you want to be right haha 

Being right/wrong has never stopped me before. I'm just failing to see how it's a better deal. I guess it's just how we perceive it. Brooks and Johnson are the best right side in the league. Neither are going anywhere for years. For Howie to "gamble" that Brooks will be alive this year and play isn't much a gamble to me. Guaranteeing his salary for the year is very low risk for the reward of throwing Nicky a little money (as well as gaining another year of control possibly) plus being able to sign all your draft picks plus maybe sign a post-cuts veteran. 

Brandon can collect all his money in "low" installments through the year and not help his team. 

or

Brandon can get two huge checks at the beginning of the year and help his team and teammate immensely. 

I'm not saying Brandon is sacrificing anything but he doesn't gain anything other than a promise that he's getting his money this year. Like that was in any question to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Being right/wrong has never stopped me before. I'm just failing to see how it's a better deal. I guess it's just how we perceive it. Brooks and Johnson are the best right side in the league. Neither are going anywhere for years. For Howie to "gamble" that Brooks will be alive this year and play isn't much a gamble to me. Guaranteeing his salary for the year is very low risk for the reward of throwing Nicky a little money (as well as gaining another year of control possibly) plus being able to sign all your draft picks plus maybe sign a post-cuts veteran. 

Brandon can collect all his money in "low" installments through the year and not help his team. 

or

Brandon can get two huge checks at the beginning of the year and help his team and teammate immensely. 

I'm not saying Brandon is sacrificing anything but he doesn't gain anything other than a promise that he's getting his money this year. Like that was in any question to begin with. 

signing bonus is a lump sum of money to be paid to a player when he signs a contract.  This bonus is often a key aspect of contract negotiations, because it is the only truly guaranteed money in any contract. Signing bonuses are not, however, counted in their entirety the year a player signs the contract. Instead, the dollar value is prorated over the length of the contract, up to a maximum of five years. That is only for accounting, though; the bonus is paid, in its entirety, at signing. Let's go back to our example contract. Let's assume Bob Player's contract includes a $3 million signing bonus. It would then be a three-year, $13 million contract, broken down as follows:
  • $2 million ($1 million salary and $1 million signing bonus (prorated)) in year 1
  • $5 million ($4 million salary and $1 million signing bonus (prorated)) in year 2
  • $6 million ($5 million salary and $1 million signing bonus (prorated)) in year 3
However, while his "cap numbers" (the total dollar amount for which he counts against the salary cap in a given year) would be $2 million, $5 million and $6 million over the life of the contract, his actual payouts per year would be $4 million, $4 million and $5 million, because he received the entire bonus in year one.

Archived