A Very Steelers Draft--kurgan 5.0 (Predictive)

kurgan

As I have been burning the midnight oil and doing MY 2018 mock, I realized that I probably needed to do a predictive draft that combines what I think the Steelers might do with who we have had in town, etc.  So, on that note, I present MY idea of a predictive mock, Steelers style.

The Very Steelers Draft (Final Edition—Predictive Draft)

1. CLE - Josh Allen

2. NYG - Bradley Chubb

3. NYJ - Sam Darnold

4. CLE - Saquon Barkley

5. DEN - Quenton Nelson

6. *Trade* BUF from IND - Baker Mayfield

7. TB - Minkah Fitzpatrick

8. CHI - Tremaine Edmunds

9. SF - Denzel Ward

10. OAK - Roquan Smith

11. MIA - Josh Rosen

12. IND - Marcus Davenport

13. *Trade* ARI from WAS - Lamar Jackson

14. GB - Calvin Ridley

15. WAS - Vita Vea

16. BAL - DJ Moore

17. SD - Mike McGlinchey

18. SEA - Will Hernandez 

19. DAL - Da’Ron Payne

20. DET - Derrius Guice

21. CIN - Kolton Miller

22. BUF - Leighton Vander Esch

23. NE - Josh Jackson

24. CAR - Isaiah Wynn

25. TEN - Harold Landry

26. ATL – Taven Bryan

27. NO - Dallas Goedert

1.28—Steelers select—Rashaan Evans, ILB Alabama 6’2” 232

I think as long as one of the magic four ILBs are there at 1.28, we take one.  With Smith, Edmunds, and LVE gone, Evans is the last one here and he is taken and welcomed to Pittsburgh.  All of the evidence is here, with the pro day dinner and everything.  Fits what we want with our MLB’s, especially the Mack.  Will push Bostic on day one, and play a lot in reserve and in sub packages.

2.60—James Washington, WR Oklahoma State  5’10” 216

Steelers sit pat and make the easy choice to take the WR at the bottom of the second.  Washington falls and becomes a Steeler.  Lots of interest with pro days and with visits to see Rudolph, but Washington is the down-field threat that the Steelers covet.  More quick than fast, is a master at the deep ball, and does not have the baggage of a Bryant.  Team guy, hard worker, high character.  Makes the room better on day one and gives us insurance of Bryant’s free agency at year’s end.

3.92—Terrell Edmunds, FS Virginia Tech  6’1” 200

Taking a big chance here, Edmunds is the last best chance to set a free safety.  After him, the bottom drops out.  Again, lots of interest with the pro day visit, and the familiarity of the area from Tomlin.    Plays like a true CF prospect and brings something to the back end that we don’t already have, a real FS.  Can work in dimes and quarters right away, and eventually push for a bigger role as the season advances.

5.148—Duke Dawson, CB (Slot) Florida  5’10” 197

Not a need, but a guy that is connected to the Steelers via predraft visits and pro days, and is a good body to add to the CB room.  Not a great corner, but can be counted on to provide some slot minutes and competition.  Character guy and insurance for Hilton’s development and potential huge payday coming, as well as mixing in with some of the coverages and concepts that we already have.  Has some value in the return game as well, if needed.

5.165—Poona Ford, NG Texas  5’11” 309

Not connected via visit, but more of a general feeling/type.  We have to get a DL body, and Ford fits what the Steelers classically look for.  Power 5 school, versatile, powerful and plays angry.  Can come in and challenge right away and get into the mix as the 6th DL and nose guy on short yardage.  Can play some in a 3 when we go nickel, and has some decent pass rushing instincts.

7.220—Joe Ostman, EDGE Central Michigan  6’2” 253

Gotta get an edge somewhere, and may as well take a flier on a guy like Keion Adams last year.  A MAC guy that has great stats and measurable, Ostman can get it done against his level of comp, and will need to step up to play in the league.  But, can serve as some comp for Adams and Hugenin for a battle for the 53.  Local blue collar worker and tough guy that could open some eyes.

7.246—Bo Scarbrough, RB Alabama  6’1” 228

Totally a Steelers thing to do to take a flier on a guy that is falling due to injury issues and can be stolen here and maybe rehabbed.  Another pro day/dinner type connection, Scarbrough is what the Steelers like in a RB, and is big and powerful and can hurt tacklers.  Not refined or what we want in pass pro or 3rd downs, but worth a kick of the tires to see if we can get his most out of him.

A pretty nice Mock. I would like to have had a better Edge player but I understand that those are few and far between. I'm not big on Washington but he fits the Steeler's MO and they seem to like him so that pick wouldn't surprise me at all. Edmunds is Ok there. I prefer a Safety that can Man up (hmmmmm, I wonder what Safety could do that). If Dawson lasts to the 5th you're getting great value there. He may be a possible switch to Safety tho. Ostman isn't a starter imo but could provide nice depth. I don't have any interest in Bo but it is the 7th Rd so no big deal. Overall pretty good. 

Archived