Will the Vikings Make a Pick On Thursday?

SemperFeist

Will the Vikings make a pick?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

15 hours ago, disaacs said:

I also don't think a player taken at #30 is any sort of guarantee to ever make that 5th year.  I look at the past drafts since the new CBA was instituted, and there aren't a whole lot of #30 picks that have even warranted a pick up of the option...

2017 - TJ Watt - Maybe he will after a good rookie year, but who knows?

2016 - Vernon Butler - Non-factor in 2 years

2015 - Damarious Randall - Best CB on Packers roster, but even they did not want to actually pick up his option year

2014 - Jimmie Ward - Injury-riddled career, but his option was picked up...don't know if he'll still be around for the season though.  

2013 - Alec Ogletree - Option picked up, but after extending him during last season, they then promptly unloaded him

2012 - AJ Jenkins - Complete bust

2011 - Muhammad Wilkerson - Good player and option was picked up and extended, but then he went into the tank

The option is valuable, whether it's picked up or not it's a different discussion.

Teddy was going too have his 5th year option picked up if he didn't get injured as a #32 selection.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

5 QBs haven’t been taken in the 1st round in 20 years (1999). I’d be surprised if 5 are drafted in the 1st. 

One, if not 2, of the top 4 will slip out of the top 10. 

5 I actually think is the right number. 

Absolutely no way two fall out of the top ten the way I see it. Browns have to take one. Jets have to take one, and one team will at least trade up to take one. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

5 QBs haven’t been taken in the 1st round in 20 years (1999). I’d be surprised if 5 are drafted in the 1st. 

Could very well be true. I am probably just buying the hype, but it seems like there is a lot of need and talent at the position without a lot of high end talent at other premium positions. Also, so much emphasis is now put on making your super bowl window be during your QB's rookie contract. While this isn't necessarily a new idea, I'd say it is more prevalent now, so teams could be more aggressive getting their guy.

Once again, I definitely could be wrong, but I still truly believe we'll see 5 in the top 20.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

5 I actually think is the right number. 

Absolutely no way two fall out of the top ten the way I see it. Browns have to take one. Jets have to take one, and one team will at least trade up to take one. 

Maybe the Bills trade up to snag one in the top 10, but I just think that the asking price to move up will be steep, and with the depth of this draft, teams aren’t going to want to give away all of their 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

I think 4 will be the number. I think Jackson and Rudolph will ultimately slip into the 2nd round. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don't think so.  I'd be immensely surprised to not see 5 QBs taken in the first 15 picks.  It's possible that one of them will slip to later in the 1st round, but there will be 5 taken in the 1st rd with a tiny chance that there will be 6.  In the Ponder draft, they came close to having 5 in the 1st round, but ended up with 6 going in the first 36 picks (Dalton and Kaepernick went 3,4 in the 2nd).   Also, it's probably been since 1999 that there has been this many solid 1st rd grade QBs available.  

I think if anyone's likely to fall, it'll probably be Allen, but also still wouldn't be shocked if it were Mayfield, because until they prove to me otherwise, the draftniks want to use high draft capital on 6'2 and above QBs, not barely above 6'0".    

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

The option is valuable, whether it's picked up or not it's a different discussion.

Teddy was going too have his 5th year option picked up if he didn't get injured as a #32 selection.

Agreed. I don't think Spielman is going to put in much thought to what other teams did with the 30th pick in previous drafts. The bigger point is that Spielman has shown a tendency to favor the fifth year option as a means of getting an extra year out of a player, if necessary. I think it's highly unlikely that we trade down.

Archived