Will the Vikings be Wayne's World...?

vike daddy

Because of the value assigned to first-round picks, teams have the option to pick up a fifth year for those players, but they have to do it in advance of the fourth season of that player’s rookie contract.

There are risks involved. While teams have the choice to rescind the fifth-year option at the end of the season, immediately making that player an unrestricted free agent, the Minnesota Vikings learned the hard way that the fifth-year option comes with a provision that the contract is guaranteed if an injury occurs. That is what happened with defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, who had his fifth-year option exercised in 2016 and, when he was unable to play due to a botched meniscus surgery, his 2017 contract remained guaranteed.

The Vikings face a fifth-year option question in the next couple weeks with cornerback Trae Waynes, who has played well, but not exactly at the high level that would be expected with the 11th overall pick in the draft.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-have-decision-to-make-with-Trae-Waynes-fifth-year-option-117572630

how do we play this decision?

It will be a fairly easy decision for the Vikings to pick up the fifth year option IMO. I would be pretty surprised if they didn't pick up the option unless there is some sort of freak injury or arrest between now and May 3rd (I think that is the deadline)

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

The only way I could see that changing is if we take a 1st round CB.

I agree. If CB gets selected early, Waynes isn't getting the fifth year option.

however, I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes opt to save money and let him go to focus on extending other free agents next year. Alexander is an outside CB being forced inside, he very well could be thought of as Waynes replacement next year.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I've been saying ~$9M, pretty close. 

I think it's an easy yes for the Vikings to pick up Waynes' option. If he just plays at the level he did last year, he'll easily be worth $9M for 2019 as a CB2. If he takes another step forward, he could outplay that value considerably. 

I'm not expecting Waynes to stay in Minnesota beyond 2019. As long as Rhodes stays healthy and plays at a high level, I think they'll keep him as the veteran CB1, and look to add a mid-rounds CB this year and a more highly drafted CB next year to play alongside him.

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Oh, they'll pick it up. You need 3 CBs in this leage, if you want to have a good/great D.

Still don't love the pick, taking three years to be competent, with the 11th pick, when you have a Dback genius coach? Too long. 

If he had been drafted by another team, I'm not sure he would have been more than competent, because he had a tremendous amount of flaws, despite the immense talent.  If you're looking for a DB to just be competent and not great, I suggest you look elsewhere, because Trae Waynes, next to most any other CB on another team that didn't have Xavier Rhodes, would be considered great, not just competent.

I think they'll pick it up. 

Say they draft a CB in the 2nd round and pick up Wayne's option. What kind of trade market would there be for Wayne's after this season on his option year if they decided Alexander and the 2nd rounder would be ready?

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

If he had been drafted by another team, I'm not sure he would have been more than competent, because he had a tremendous amount of flaws, despite the immense talent.  If you're looking for a DB to just be competent and not great, I suggest you look elsewhere, because Trae Waynes, next to most any other CB on another team that didn't have Xavier Rhodes, would be considered great, not just competent.

well, I literally typed "three years to be competent"....and did not comment on years one and two......was he competent in years one and two? Because he didn't look that way to me.

Why is there such impatience with draft picks? There are some players you draft early because they can fill a need right away. Others have great physical traits but need to be coached to reach a much higher ceiling. Waynes played lights out in the second half of last year, and has grown to be a trusted part of a defense that requires each player to understand the nuances of the scheme. It’s also one of the most difficult positions to learn in the NFL. 

Waynes should be seen as a successful draft pick, and deserves to have his option picked up.

Archived