Will the Vikings be Wayne's World...?

vike daddy

49 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Does anyone see the Vikes picking up the option with the selection of Hughes in round 1? Would it be worth while to pick up the option and try to trade him after the upcoming season, before he is due the ~$9M? Or do we just let him walk and get the comp pick in 2020?

I can't imagine them not picking up the option. To me it seems like almost a sure thing. The only thing that can muddy that IMO is an arrest, accusation of domestic violence, or something like that between now and when the team officially picks up the option later this week.

Waynes playing for a contract should take an even larger step than last year; he was quite good at a cover guy, and I've honestly marveled at how he's done as a tackler given his frame. Him earning an extension would be a great problem to have.

1 minute ago, rpmwr19 said:

Waynes playing for a contract should take an even larger step than last year; he was quite good at a cover guy, and I've honestly marveled at how he's done as a tackler given his frame. Him earning an extension would be a great problem to have.

He's been getting better. He's vulnerable to in-breaking routes and he's still slow to close in zone coverage but the trend has been good even in those areas. He's really good at covering deep routes. The run defense came out of nowhere (remember how disinterested he was even in 2016 in run defense?) but it's a big plus. I want to see more from him to compete and win at the catch point before giving him a long-term extension. 

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

He's been getting better. He's vulnerable to in-breaking routes and he's still slow to close in zone coverage but the trend has been good even in those areas. He's really good at covering deep routes. The run defense came out of nowhere (remember how disinterested he was even in 2016 in run defense?) but it's a big plus. I want to see more from him to compete and win at the catch point before giving him a long-term extension. 

I don't anticipate them ever giving him an extension regardless, but it certainly could happen.  I always thought they'd pick it up just to get the 5th year out of him, and then let him walk.  

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

One of Waynes and Alexander will most likely get an extension heading into 2019. 

Not necessarily.  They could just let both run out the string, drafting another guy next year to fill in the spot opposite Rhodes (or slot, if they use Hughes as an outside guy) in 2020.  While I certainly like the idea of extending Waynes, I'm not sure if you want to invest that much money into your secondary when they're already paying Harry and Xavier as much money as they are.

9 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

bump in contract for Waynes could be offset with the release of Sendejo and a rookie, or younger player, contract taking that spot. Just one option

MN didn't target a safety in the draft so it would be difficult imagining a rookie getting the starting spot in 2019. Is Anthony Harris a FA next year?

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

MN didn't target a safety in the draft so it would be difficult imagining a rookie getting the starting spot in 2019. Is Anthony Harris a FA next year?

Could target one early next year. Harris is a UFA after this year.

14 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Could target one early next year. Harris is a UFA after this year.

I'd personally extend Harris and have him take over for Sendejo in 2019 or 2020 rather than target one in the draft...because, even for S, if he ain't here now, he ain't starting soon.

Archived