Sign in to follow this  
vike daddy

Will the Vikings be Wayne's World...?

22 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

MN didn't target a safety in the draft so it would be difficult imagining a rookie getting the starting spot in 2019. Is Anthony Harris a FA next year?

It's been reported that Hughes has safety versatility

Zimmer's comment about seeing 4 CB's on the field and a single safety, to me, comes across as a little bit of an indictment of Sendejo - His money will come off of the books sooner rather than later. Both out of necessity, and ability (even though he's improved quite a bit).

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

Zimmer's comment about seeing 4 CB's on the field and a single safety, to me, comes across as a little bit of an indictment of Sendejo - His money will come off of the books sooner rather than later. Both out of necessity, and ability (even though he's improved quite a bit).

with the signing of newman i wonder if holton hill will be developed at safety. i know he played safety at texas before converting to corner.

it's a very crowded secondary and we already have five corners (rhodes, waynes, alexander, hughes, newman) who are locks to make the roster. sherels would then be the sixth corner, though it's possible he gets cut.

we would then have five safeties (smith, sendejo, harris, kearse, hill). hill could compete with kearse but i think kearse will make the roster if for no other reason than his good special teams play. 

sendejo has no guaranteed money on his contract i believe but only makes $3.5 million this year. next year, however, that goes up to $5.5 million and considering our cap crunch i could definitely see him being a cap casualty - provided we have a replacement developed.

Newman just signed another one year deal today as well. So it is indeed a very crowded secondary. 

They don't need 5 safeties, they usually keep 4. They don't rotate, so they just need 2 backups (who also play special teams). A 5th safety wouldn't dress for games. 

Sherels is gone if Hill makes the team. Might survive otherwise but I think it's time to move on. 

Don't see the point of taking a plus quality outside CB in Hill and making him a backup FS.  The same anxiety about corner depth we had this offseason would show up again in 2019 -- Waynes and Alexander heading into contract years, Newman retiring with his Super Bowl ring...

Keep Hill at corner. If he stays clean, they have a full set of quality CBs heading forward even without Waynes and Alexander (Hughes or Hill at nickel). 

Harris is the heir apparent to Sendejo. I don't see safety as a need right now. Harris is a lot better at this stage of his development than Sendejo was. Remember, Harris was often seen as a 4th round pick but he was considered too small. Now he's built up and he's been very good when he's gotten the chance to play. 

I'd like to see them extend Harris next year and release Sendejo. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

Does he mean 4 CBs on the field at once or regularly on game day as a rotation (of 3 at a time)?

just curious because Alexander and Hughes both lack size if they did play in some kind of hybrid safety role.

Edited by vikingsrule

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Does he mean 4 CBs on the field at once or regularly on game day as a rotation (of 3 at a time)?

just curious because Alexander and Hughes both lack size if they did play in some kind of hybrid safety role.

The context was a package with 4 CB's and 1 Safety on the field... I guess if three safeties would be a big nickel package, this would be the small nickel package.

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He specifically mentioned running subpackages with four CBs and one S.

As expected they picked up his option. I see them looking to trade him after this season depending on how the younger corners look

7 hours ago, disaacs said:

Not necessarily.  They could just let both run out the string, drafting another guy next year to fill in the spot opposite Rhodes (or slot, if they use Hughes as an outside guy) in 2020.  While I certainly like the idea of extending Waynes, I'm not sure if you want to invest that much money into your secondary when they're already paying Harry and Xavier as much money as they are.

I honestly believe we could see a combo of Rhodes, Hill, and Hughes combo in the future. I think that is what they are hoping for from him. Continue to develop and hope they both can pan out. 

Pro Football Focus wrote recently that the Vikings’ Trae Waynes was the NFL’s best cornerback when it came to stopping the run. Waynes stopped 4.7 percent of runs faced, but the four corners who stopped a higher percentage played slot cornerback. “This revelation outlines just how successful [Waynes], primarily an outside cornerback, was at defending the run in 2017,” PFF wrote.

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-harrison-smith-friendship-began-with-a-fight-at-irish-camp/487576381/

On 7/8/2018 at 8:12 AM, vike daddy said:

Pro Football Focus wrote recently that the Vikings’ Trae Waynes was the NFL’s best cornerback when it came to stopping the run. Waynes stopped 4.7 percent of runs faced, but the four corners who stopped a higher percentage played slot cornerback. “This revelation outlines just how successful [Waynes], primarily an outside cornerback, was at defending the run in 2017,” PFF wrote.

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-harrison-smith-friendship-began-with-a-fight-at-irish-camp/487576381/

That isn't a huge surprise to me. His run stopping is one of the main reasons I was converted to the Waynes should be kept camp. Waynes isn't Winfield but it is really fun watching him when a team foolishly runs to his side.

I would much rather resign Waynes over Barr. I think he's going to make that jump into the upper echelon of NFL Cornerbacks this year. If Waynes becomes a top 20 CB, he'll be more valuable than Barr. 

He's a slow cooker?  I'm not sure I understand how that describes him.