Outside the box draft

dll2000

For kicks and giggles.   Here is a scenario that has never happened to my knowledge, but it is a strategy you see owners do successfully in fantasy drafts for all sports.  You've already taken X position, but that same position has a highly ranked player sitting there on your next pick.  What do you do?  Take him and force a valuable trade with someone who is weak at that position.

1.  Josh Allen, Browns

2. SAQUON BARKLEY, Giants

3. Baker Mayfield, Jets

4. Bradley Chubb, Browns

5. Quenton Nelson, Broncos

6. MINKAH FITZPATRICK, Colts

7. Derwin James, Bucs

8. Sam Darnold, Bears.

Boom!  Just blew your mind.  Maybe.  More likely you are disdainful or perhaps mildly entertained.  After Broncos passed on a QB, Bills and Cards were waiting it out looking for a better price knowing that Colts, Bucs and Bears were not looking for a QB, they declined Pace' offers for trades.  However, Pace decided to force their hand by taking their guy.  Now they have to trade with him if they want their QB of choice.

It would be a gutsy, risky, outside the box move and one that could conceivably leave the Bears with a first round QB on a team that needs upgrades at several positions.  But if Bears can't find a trade partner at 8 initially it might be something that compels teams to trade with the Bears where before that wasn't the plan.  

On off chance Bears do get stuck with Darnold, then hey maybe he looks good in offseason and garners high picks in a trade next year during a QB weak class.  Maybe he even beats out MT for the starting role or MT gets hurt and he shines and MT is the one traded.   Crazier things have happened.    

Do I see this happening?  No.  But it would be an entertaining thing to see.  I have seen about 10 dif mock drafts with Indy, Bucs, Bears, SF, Oak making a trade with Bills or AZ, obviously they can't all be true, so if a highly thought of QB slips for whatever reason why not snag him and they HAVE to deal with you.

Be prepared for anything I say.

Always something unexpected in first round.

2017:

-Bears traded from 3 to 2.  

-Titans took Corey Davis at 5.

-Bengals took Ross at 9.

-Browns passed on QB twice.

-Chiefs traded up for Mahomes

-Houston traded up for Watson

Nobody predicted those moves and that was just in first 12 picks!  6 of 12 unexpected plays!  Crazy.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Do I see this happening?  No.  But it would be an entertaining thing to see.  I have seen about 10 dif mock drafts with Indy, Bucs, Bears, SF, Oak making a trade with Bills or AZ, obviously they can't all be true, so if a highly thought of QB slips for whatever reason why not snag him and they HAVE to deal with you.

The reason it never happens is because other teams know that the 2 QB team HAS to make a trade--so the poorly picking team has no leverage. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

There were 3 QBs superior to Darnold last year and Pace had his choice of them all. I'd be less pissed if we traded up in the 2nd for a kicker. lol

IMHO there isn't a kicker worth a 2nd, but there are a couple that we should definitely target in the third if we can trade back and acquire a pick in that round

46 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

IMHO there isn't a kicker worth a 2nd, but there are a couple that we should definitely target in the third if we can trade back and acquire a pick in that round

We're paying a kicker $4M for 4 years with guaranteed money, we arent drafting a kicker anytime soon.  Now a punter may be a different story

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Great pull

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Ah crap. I disnt word that properly. Lol

It was a dig at how stupid it was when Aguayo was traded up for. Juat saying id rather waste a 2nd round pick than our 8th. 

That being said, I am still on the Pineiro train for a 6th or 7th through. I know we have guaranteed cap but that just means he should be able to win the competition. If not better to waste the dead cap than have a crap kicker. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If we pick a QB I will walk out of the draft party that I am hosting.

We need to add players to help our QB win games, not draft another one and hope he maintains his value into 2019.

What in the hell do you do at a draft party?  Drink beer and eat chips and then go "AHHHHH" when your team picks and then nitpick every other team?  

Actually that's what I make my wife sit through.  She was mildly interested when the Bears traded up last year and then seemed puzzled "Didn't you want a quarterback anyway?"

Archived