Beast's 2018 Mock Draft

Beast

Back Ground

Sounds like Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine will be bringing back the aggressive 3-4 defense which ask players to be versatile and physical. Pettine has already said the OLBers will be asked to play in coverage more, which also might imply more blitzing from DBs and ILBers. This change could help some like Clay Matthews (more versatile, more surprises) and Jake Ryan (allow him to attack more, and react less), but might hurt some like Blake Martinez, who’ll be asked to deal with OL and man coverage more (when the old scheme might have been perfect for role for him).

Needs

1. Cornerback: Williams and House aren’t young, and the position needs upgrades

2. Outside linebacker: Matthews and Perry aren’t cheap and the position needs to stay healthy (and upgrades)

3. Wide receiver: Losing Jordy Nelson and team needed more/better depth before that. (which is where this mock is weak at filling, but sorta hoping they signed a Vet WR before the draft)

4. Coverage LB: Losing Joe Thomas and Morgan Burnett (as Josh Jones is now going to be playing more SS and less LB) has opened up a big hole for a coverage LB type. Also whenever Mike Pettine has joined a new NFL team, they have always gotten (FA or Draft) a new athletic ILB, and since history repeats, I'm guessing it's going to happen again.

Mock Draft

Day 1

1          14        OLB Harold Landry, Boston College, 6-2, 252

Day 2

2          45        CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado, 6-0, 201

3          76        LB/SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida, 6-0, 227

Day 3

4          101      OT Jamarco Jones, Ohio State, 6-4, 299

4          133      TE Christopher Herndon, Miami (FL), 6-4, 253

5          138      ILB Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, 6-2, 254

5          172      CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane, 5-10, 182

5          174      WR/TE Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6-5, 227

6          186      WR Justin Watson, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 215

6          207      OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 6-2, 295

7          232      OT Brett Toth, Army, 6-6, 291

7          239      FS Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin, 5-11, 201

Draft In-depth

OLB Harold Landry, Boston College, 6-2, 252

I think the new defensive scheme calls for quick, physical and versatile. While others, such as Marcus Davenport, might have more upside potential, he'll need a team to keep things simple while he develops. Landry is ready to go now and is more developed, and more versatile, meaning he should be ready to help a more complex defense much much sooner. Scots have knock Landry for relying on his quickness too much, but most college players weren't able to stop it, and you can use that to set up other moves, which Landry has shown, he just doesn't use them as often as some would like.

CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado, 6-0, 201

Packers need CBs, and IMO one (or more) of the top 8 in this draft should fall to the 40s draft selections. Currently Oliver seems to be getting the least amount of hype. Oliver is raw and needs more experience and growth, but he’s got all the physical tools, including good long speed and 33.5 inch-arms, which is 7th longest for a CB at the combine since 1999… and should give him an edge in press bump and run coverage which is expected in the new scheme.

ILB/SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida, 6-0, 227

Griffin is basically a large SS playing LB… and I’m expecting Griffin to be used multiple roles including as a man coverage ILB (like Joe Thomas/Fackrell) locking up one on one against a TE or RB (or spying a mobile QB) as well as a physical slot defender who’s just as likely to blitz off the edge as drop off into coverage (like Josh Jones last year). There are a ton of sub packages that could use a man with Griffin’s talents, especially if Josh Jones earns the starting SS spot.

OT Jamarco Jones, Ohio State, 6-4, 299

Jones' style of play simply reminds me of Bakhriari's style. You're not going to see either dominant, or be pushing guys around or to the ground that often... but they just get to the defender and ride them, sticking to their block as long as they can. It's a finesse style, which is boring to watch, but can be very effective... as they simply get and stay in the way of a defender. 

TE Christopher Herndon, Miami (FL), 6-4, 253

Well built, almost like an oversized RB than the normal TE, which gives him both speed and power (though slow acceleration). For a TE, Herndon is a very good athletic that can make plays but is still very underdeveloped after backing up TE 1st round pick TE David Njoku for most of his career, and then an MCL injury in his one starting year. Of course, if you just look at pure potential Herndon could be taken in day 2 and long gone by this point.

ILB Hercules Mataafa, Washington State, 6-2, 254

Mataafa played DT in college (yes, DT) and he was one of the best penetrating DTs in all of college football, with the quickest first step and get off. Everyone seems to agree that there is no way he’s playing DT in the NFL and they’re projecting him to edge rusher 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, where most think his lack of elite traits will make him struggle at a position he’s not used to playing at, nor dealing with OTs.

I have a different idea… the guy is used to attacking the interior (and was one of the best at it), so why not keep him in that role as a very aggressive blitzing ILB? Mataafa is one of the best I’ve seen at getting through the “trash” by using his quickness and contorting his body to get around blockers. It’s a project, but Mataafa was one of the best at getting to the ball in the interior, and very well known for his toughness and non-stop motor.

CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane, 5-10, 182

Simply put, a more developed Sam Shields project. At Tulane, they left him on an Island all by himself and trust him to win with little to no help, and it doesn’t matter if you beat him deep, he’s going to recover and catch you before the ball gets there. I’m willing to possible draft this guy higher.

TE Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6-5, 227

Lazard was a very large, physical, possession WR in college, with good body control and hands. The problem is that Lazard might not be athletic enough to stay at WR in the NFL. Which is why I’m projecting him to move to TE, where he seems to have a similar body type to Jimmy Graham. Basically, a possible Richard Rodgers replacement.

WR Justin Watson, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 215

The Packers have liked WRs that put up big numbers and shown good hands and routes, which is exactly what Watson has done. He’s still very raw, and does not have huge upsides, but he’s a jack of all trades, which at this point in the draft is good to find.

OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii, 6-2, 295

Like all of the Packers OL selections (it seems) Allen played at LT in college. In the pros, he’s having to move to the interior, which he has played at some, including Center. Allen sticks to his blocks very well, which seems to be what the Packers prefer over dominating them. Allen is a PS guy for his rookie year.

OT Brett Toth, Army, 6-6, 291

Toth has to serve two years with the Army before looking into the NFL, but still, he’s shown enough that I’d like to have the exclusive rights to him in two years. While Army is basically a run only offense, Toth has the physical traits to possible be very good in pass blocking (maybe even enough to stay at OT) while doing extremely well run blocking.

FS Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin, 5-11, 201

Playing in a similar defense in college should hopefully help Jamerson pick up the defense faster, while he has some very nice physical skill sets. He hasn’t put them all together yet, but maybe with a year on the practice squad he’ll be able to, or sooner if someone gets injured and he gets called up.

Nice effort! I love that you went for Shaquem Griffin. I'm not sure how much he gets penalized for only have one hand. The guy can play football, but will he get an honest chance? Love the double dip at EDGE as well. Can't argue with Oliver in round 2 either. 

I like the fact that you are acknowledging the need for ILB, which for me on paper is the biggest need. Addressing that one n the third round seems cool with me and that in essence you are double dipping with the kid from Washington. Noth these players are versatile.

Like it a lot

Lazard intrigues the pants off me. Not because I'm convinced he'll be anything. I'm just absolutely not sure what the hell he is. I believe he tested well everything but agility and a mediocre 40? He's a gamer but IDK.

Like it.  Only gripe is its lacking a quality WR.  With the group we have right now and the fact that Cobb is an UFA next year WR is one our bigger needs.  It could get messy next year because IMO regardless of how Cobb plays this year he's going to want a raise next year given his age.  

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Nice effort! I love that you went for Shaquem Griffin. I'm not sure how much he gets penalized for only have one hand. The guy can play football, but will he get an honest chance? Love the double dip at EDGE as well. Can't argue with Oliver in round 2 either. 

Thank you! As for Griffin's one hand, I think you have to look at how it effects their play, and I think the end results are that Griffin is just like a lot of speed LBers, in that once an OL locks onto them, they REALLY struggle to get off the block... usually it's because the speed LBers aren't willing to be as tough or as physical... but from what I've seen, Griffin doesn't back down nearly as much as other speed LBers and he's tougher and very willing to attempt to fight through the block... though he still struggles, part of that is because he lacks the hand to grab and yank an OL off of him... so overall, I give him a positive for seeming to be tougher than most speed LBers, but a negative for not being able to use the best techinque to get an OL off of him and it all equals out. 

At first, I didn't know what you meant by the double dib, but I'm guessing you mean Landry and Griffin? Griffin is not a full time edge guy... but if the other team lines someone up in the slot that you think he might coverage, you can put him out there and have the choice between dropping him into coverage or basically using him as a DB blitz off the edge, just like they did some with Josh Jones last year. And if you get a team that use double slots, one on each side, I would want to try to line Jones and Griffin both up and then blitz the heck out of the other team. It make using those slots harder, at least if they could in theory cover them if they did drop them into coverage.

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I like the fact that you are acknowledging the need for ILB, which for me on paper is the biggest need. Addressing that one n the third round seems cool with me and that in essence you are double dipping with the kid from Washington. Noth these players are versatile.

Like it a lot

I think it all depends on the scheme... if the Packers stayed with the Capers scheme, then I think they were pretty good shape as they often only use a single ILB and it seemed like a perfect scheme for Martinez. But I think they're getting away from the perfect scheme for Martinez and maybe using more two ILBers. Plus Mike Pettine suggested the OLBers will be dropping into coverage more, which suggest to me, we'll see more DB and ILBers blitzes (which could help former college DE Jake Ryan). But Griffin could be used for those DB blitzes and Mataafa should be able to be used for those up the middle blitzes. Just giving more options to the play caller.

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Lazard intrigues the pants off me. Not because I'm convinced he'll be anything. I'm just absolutely not sure what the hell he is. I believe he tested well everything but agility and a mediocre 40? He's a gamer but IDK.

I certainly don't know what Lazard will be either... I just thought a very late 5th round pick was worth taking a chance on a guy that looks and plays like a TE and put up similar combine numbers as Jimmy Graham (though being an 1.5 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter). But still Lazard made tons of plays with CBs hanging all over him, because he wasn't athletic enough to get away from them... but even with a DB hanging on him, he still made good adjustments to poorly placed throws and showed a lot of toughness. So I think he has a shot at becoming a long term TE in the NFL... though maybe back-up, but every team could use good back-ups too. 

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Like it.  Only gripe is its lacking a quality WR.  With the group we have right now and the fact that Cobb is an UFA next year WR is one our bigger needs.  It could get messy next year because IMO regardless of how Cobb plays this year he's going to want a raise next year given his age.  

I completely agree! Just I was hoping the Packers might sign a FA WR (such as Jordan Matthews, Dez Bryant or someone else) ... but the WRs in the big board I was using ( nfldraftscout.com ) didn't have the WRs dropping to where I liked them. But yes WR spot would be a problem, and it's hard to see the Packers leaving that as a problem.

51 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Nice job, very nice job.

Thank you very much!

Archived