What would you guys think of this LB-heavy draft?

Magnus-Viktor

I was looking at Arif Hasan's "consensus board" and noticed that my guy LVE is projected at #28, and Hubbard is mid 2nd (#47, so not too far from #60), and Josey Jewell is right at #92 (#97), so was wondering what you all would think about the first 3 picks all being LBs?  Continuing out and looking BPA, I could see Haynes and Aruna also being BPA and needs at their respective picks as well.  

1 (28).  Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State (#28)

2 (60).  Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio State (#47)

3 (92).  Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (#97)

5 (148).  Marquis Haynes, OLB, Ole Miss (#153)

5 (165).  Ade Aruna, OLB, Toledo (#177)  (this is the end of the LBs for me.  You could easily make a case that these first 5 LBs would be the BPA at each pick....of course you wouldn't draft 5 total, but you could make a case for needing to completely overhaul the LB corp except for Watt)

7 (220).  Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech (#223) 

7 (246).  Justin Watson, WR, Penn (#246)

x.  Natrell Jamerson, S, Wisconsin (#263)

x.  Greg Stroman, CB/KR, VT (#269)

x.  Quadree Henderson, WR/KR, Pitt (#276)

x.  Jordan Wilkins, RB, Ole Miss (#285)

I think if you had Jessie Bates, Kerryon Johnson, DJ Chark, Equanimeous St. Brown or Mark Andrews in 2 instead of Hubbard, you could make a case for that being a fairly reasonable/realistic draft.  Meeks in 3 would make a lot of sense too.  I firmly believe the Steelers need TWO ILBs though.  

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/nfl-draft/draft-guide-arif-hasans-consensus-board/

I don't know about the 1st 3 pix but a LB heavy Draft would be fine with me. Maybe even 2 ILBs and 2 OLBs. Leaving 3 pix for DB/DL/WR/RB. Preferably you can land a guy that can play both inside and out. Here are some names that would make me happy (depending on when they taken)...

ILB

Evans

Iyiegbuniwe

Avery

Hamilton

Ginda

Sam

OLB

Landry 

Carter

Turay

Warner

Leonard

Holland

Burks

O'Daniel

Fitts

Stolen from @Magnus-Viktor just with GBN Big Board....

1.28--Rashaan Evans, ILB ALabama (30)

2.60--Josh Sweat, Edge FSU (66)

3.92--Micah Kiser, ILB UVA (90)

5.148--Jeff Holland, Edge Auburn (149)

5.165--DeShon Eliot, FS Texas (160)

7.220--Siran Neal, S Jax State (221)

7.246--Jaleel Scott, WR New Mexico State (251)

That is LB draft heavy, I was thinking 2 possibly 3 with the 3rd LB in late RD's.  Wait and see how these players turn out, but at most I was thinking 2 LBs in the first 4 RD's.  I would take a chance on Oko if the is there later, and maybe armstrong, those would be the later picks. I don't care for hubbard especially early on.  I still think we should go 4-3 and move forward with Watt at RDE. 

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

That is LB draft heavy, I was thinking 2 possibly 3 with the 3rd LB in late RD's.  Wait and see how these players turn out, but at most I was thinking 2 LBs in the first 4 RD's.  I would take a chance on Oko if the is there later, and maybe armstrong, those would be the later picks. I don't care for hubbard especially early on.  I still think we should go 4-3 and move forward with Watt at RDE. 

You have to think in terms of the 43 until/unless they make the switch.  I know you love your 43 switch idea though lol.  I HATE the thought of a 43.  I've always believed, and always will believe so, that the 34 is vastly superior.  It's all about getting those athletes out there and zone blitzing.  I will always proceed with the thought of needing 4 stud LBs out there.  The state of our LB corp now is just absolutely disgusting.  I loved Shazier and Watt last year, but now we're down to exactly ONE good linebacker.  Your 34 IS your linebackers.  With just 1 quality linebacker, it is no wonder the D went to crap last year.  

1 minute ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

You have to think in terms of the 43 until/unless they make the switch.  I know you love your 43 switch idea though lol.  I HATE the thought of a 43.  I've always believed, and always will believe so, that the 34 is vastly superior.  It's all about getting those athletes out there and zone blitzing.  I will always proceed with the thought of needing 4 stud LBs out there.  The state of our LB corp now is just absolutely disgusting.  I loved Shazier and Watt last year, but now we're down to exactly ONE good linebacker.  Your 34 IS your linebackers.  With just 1 quality linebacker, it is no wonder the D went to crap last year.  

either scheme works , it depends on the players in the scheme. We never beat brady with those "great" lebeau Defences,  but coughlin beat brady 2x in the SB with basic 4-3 D :o  With 1 good LB that can convert to DE, that is the reason to switch. It's based on the talent the team has, get the best players on the field.  I doubt it will happen, but wait and see.

10 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

either scheme works , it depends on the players in the scheme. We never beat brady with those "great" lebeau Defences,  but coughlin beat brady 2x in the SB with basic 4-3 D :o  With 1 good LB that can convert to DE, that is the reason to switch. It's based on the talent the team has, get the best players on the field.  I doubt it will happen, but wait and see.

The current team would make for a solid 43 DL, but it really lacks the true 43 DE types.  OR, you put both Dupree and Watt at DE, with Tuitt and Heyward at DT, and you have ZERO linebackers with Hargrave relegated to the bench.  Making the switch hurts you more than it helps as far as filling holes with quality players and getting the best out on the field.  

43 DL:  Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward, Watt
43 LB:  ZERO, ZERO, ZERO

34 DL:  Tuitt, Hargrave, Heyward
34 LB:  Dupree, ZERO, ZERO, Watt

15 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

The current team would make for a solid 43 DL, but it really lacks the true 43 DE types.  OR, you put both Dupree and Watt at DE, with Tuitt and Heyward at DT, and you have ZERO linebackers with Hargrave relegated to the bench.  Making the switch hurts you more than it helps as far as filling holes with quality players and getting the best out on the field.  

43 DL:  Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward, Watt
43 LB:  ZERO, ZERO, ZERO

34 DL:  Tuitt, Hargrave, Heyward
34 LB:  Dupree, ZERO, ZERO, Watt

We don't have ideal or good players for either across the board, but a few players that could do well in one scheme and or the other. It's a matter of making this work with whats on the roster. As long as the D gets better , thats all we can ask as a fan.  My 4-3 DL would be Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt and Watt, and that could be a good front 4 IMO, but it won't matter because I doubt they switch. If dupree breaks out, it will help end this discussion, it's what needs to happen . I don't expect a rookie to gt playing time unless injuries force the changes.  A good cover CB could help the team if he gets to play, Burns might be on notice if they draft a CB in RD1 or RD2. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

We don't have ideal or good players for either across the board, but a few players that could do well in one scheme and or the other. It's a matter of making this work with whats on the roster. As long as the D gets better , thats all we can ask as a fan.  My 4-3 DL would be Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt and Watt, and that could be a good front 4 IMO, but it won't matter because I doubt they switch. If dupree breaks out, it will help end this discussion, it's what needs to happen . I don't expect a rookie to gt playing time unless injuries force the changes.  A good cover CB could help the team if he gets to play, Burns might be on notice if they draft a CB in RD1 or RD2. 

Your version of the DL wouldn't be bad either.  Again though, no LBs.  Dupree has no instincts so I don't see him being good at anything other than hoping to get by his man due to his burst.  

I agree though.  Whatever will make it better.

I think that upgrading S and ILB has been the #1 priority for years now, besides getting a better OLB, after they managed to get Haden.  Burns is a LOT better than the trash at S last year.  I'd say the DL was rock solid, Watt was rock solid, and the CBs were ok.  Mitchell was pure trash.  Both ILBs after Shazier went down were trash.  Burns and Davis need work, and Dupree is worse yet.  So in other words, you must upgrade 2 ILBs and 1 S, 1 OLB would be huge, and the other S and 1 CB (and a pure NT) would be nice too if the value presents itself.  Late picks in 1-3 aren't going to get you all of that.   Hopefully Burnett can be the answer at S, thus reducing the glaring needs to 2 ILBs.  

Archived