Prediction: Saints will light draft night on fire!

whodatworm23

The trade
Saints trade their 2018 1st, 4th, 6th and 2019 1st round pick to the Oakland Raiders for the 10th  overall selection. 

Why this trade makes sense for the Saints
This is a very similar trade to the one that allowed the Chiefs to jump the Saints last year to draft Patrick Mahomes so the compensation is about right. Sean Payton hits up his old buddy Jon Gruden who’s looking to stock pile draft assets to help rebuild Radier Nation making this trade a win win for both franchises. 

Approach
This is just my belief but despite the star player Marshon Lattimore has become for the Saints, it’s very well known that the Saints war room was split last year with many within the organization preferring the enticing physical traits that Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes brought to the table and I have to believe that Sean Payton himself was one of those leading that charge. In the end the Bills made the Saints choice easy for them as they traded the 10th pick to the Chiefs who then selected Mahomes one pick ahead of the Saints who then went on to take Lattimore at 11 and the rest is history. We will never know what may have happened if the Saints had to choose between Mahomes and Lattimore but what I will say is that when an offensive minded head coach has a conviction strong enough on a quarterback that high in the draft it’s hard to believe that the organization of go in any other direction regardless of the talent level of the positional player. Now I’m not saying that Payton would have taken Mahomes over Lattimore because if Payton has shown us anything over the last few years it’s that he’s grown patience in the draft as well as the ability to prioritize defensive needs over his own personal desires. A perfect example of this happened in the very same draft when the Saints went on the clock in round 2, Payton had targeted the apple of his eye Tennessee running back Alvin Kamara with that selection but when it was the Saints turn to pick they were shocked to see that Utah safety Marcus Williams (a player they had a 1st round grade on) was still available. Payton put his desire and ego aside and the Saints selected Williams with their 2nd round selection as he was viewed (at the time) as the better overall prospect at a position of greater need. As we know the Saints did eventually land Kamara via trade and we all know what he accomplished in his rookie season but looking back it is the perfect example of how Sean Payton has evolved as a decision maker. 

Having said that… I’ve been following this team and coach for a long time and I’m just not buying what I’ve been hearing from Sean Payton over the last year up to now. Since the moment the Chiefs jumped in front of the Saints to select Mahomes, Payton has gone out of his way to make everyone outside the organization believe that he’s not in the quarterback market. First he leaks that bogus information to the Fox game crew about Taysom Hill being the future of the franchise then backtracks (somewhat) later on. What benefit does Joe Buck and Troy Akimen have for lying on national TV about that? Those comments were made because Payton planted them earlier in the week. I for one do not believe that Taysom Hill is the future of this franchise. I do believe that he can develop into a quality backup but that’s best case scenario in my opinion. I also don’t believe that if Sean Payton had that kind of conviction on Hill as a quarterback that he would have allowed him to be played on special teams risking injury to a player that had 4 season ending injuries in college. Recently Payton made headlines again with some backhanded comments on the 2018 quarterback class when he stated that he’d be surprised if all of the top 5 prospects at the position would still be standing in 5 years and he even went as far as predicting USC’s SAM Darnold as his best guess as to which one would emerge as the best of the bunch.

I smell a SMOKE SCREEN!!!

I’m not buying it guys… sure I could be completely wrong here but it’s my belief that Payton and the Saints have something very clever up their selves that will come to fruition on draft day. With Drew Brees locked in for the next two seasons, at some point Payton himself must consider his future with the club and his aspirations. I do believe that there is a part of Payton that wants another challenge at the quarterback position. I believe that Payton is still as innovative an offensive mind as there is in football and he clearly sees where this league is trending towards and I’m predicting Payton to shock the NFL world on draft night by getting a jump start on what’s to come.

The pick
Lamar Jackson, QB: Louisville
This trade and selection would light the draft world on fire! 

I understand many of you are thinking… “trade 2 1st round picks for Lamar Jackson”? My answer to that is yes! I believe that Jackson is regarded much higher in the scouting community than many realize and it’s my belief that there is zero chance the electric playmaker falls out of the top 15 picks. Jackson is gonna go much higher than you think as NFL teams and offense’s are embracing RPO’s more and more these days. The success of Deshaun Watson in 2017 and the way in which the Texans Bill O’Brian curtailed his offense to fit his dynamic quarterback has only vastly increased Jackson’s value in the NFL. 

Remember that Mahomes wasn’t the only quarterback prospect the Saints were linked to in 2017. Deshaun Watson was also in the conversation at pick 11 and when you look at some of the moves the Saints have made on offense recently it leads you to believe that Jackson would be an ideal fit in New Orleans. The Saints have invested into big physical receivers out on the edge with great 50/50 ball skills and catch radius’s. They also now have two very good dual tight ends in Ben Watson and Josh Hill and are likely to target another in the mid rounds of this draft. They have quietly built one of the better young athletic offensive lines in the NFL and now have one of the more physical and diverse running games in the league with one of the most exciting young playmakers in Alvin Kamara. 

What does all this mean?

This has all the makings of a seamless transition to a heavy RPO offensive attack in the NFL. One like Lamar Jackson would excel in on the next level. Even the Saints addition of former Texans quarterback Tom Savage perked my interest this offseason as I viewed it as a pre curser to a Lamar Jackson pursuit. Savage was there in Houston during the transition to Deshaun Watson and would likely provide valuable insight to the inner workings of how the Texans handled that situation. Remember, Savage’s contract is only 1 year with just $100,000 guaranteed. If the Saints are truly interested in targeting Jackson, Savage’s contact would be more so viewed as an investment toward a bigger line of thinking. Then here is where Taysom Hill’s value comes into play. Hill is a highly athletic former running college quarterback whom Payton can groom as his backup to Jackson eventually down the line. By moving up and drafting Jackson this will allow both Jackson and Hill (I do not expect Savage to make this roster) to sit behind Brees for a couple years and truly develop as Payton builds his future offense around the athletic traits and talent of his new franchise quarterback. 

Payton even said it himself… Drew’s heir apparent will not be a carbon copy of him. 

What it means for Brees
Absolutely nothing! Brees is a smart man, he understands his time in NOLA is winding down and that the organization must prepare for the time when he will no longer be the quarterback of the New Orleans Saints. Sure Brees would love to have those 1st round picks invested into players that can help him win another Super Bowl but the draft isn’t about Brees’s legacy, it’s about building the future and sustained success of the New Orleans Saints. Despite Brees age, this is a very young and talented roster that can and will be in contention long after the hall of famer calls it a career as long as the Saints top decision makers are proactive in their pursuit of the future of the quarterback position and that’s why Lamar Jackson. 

WHODAT
Ok… now tell me how completely insane I am!!! LOL

Worm....

how wild would a draft day player trade be?

Looking at the future of the team, as much as it would hurt. What is Mark Ingram worth? He’s perfect for New England. He’d be a great player for Brady’s final days.

7 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Worm....

how wild would a draft day player trade be?

Looking at the future of the team, as much as it would hurt. What is Mark Ingram worth? He’s perfect for New England. He’d be a great player for Brady’s final days.

I think the Saints are tying their best to play both sides the fence here... on one hand they want to give Brees the opportunity to compete for the title in his final years but on the other hand they know they must consider the future. As of now Ingram holds to much value to the former. He's an excellent all around running back that Brees depends on and I just don't see them trading that away. I also feel that Ingram has a lot to do with Kamara's success as they developed into ideal compliments to each other.

10 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I think the Saints are tying their best to play both sides the fence here... on one hand they want to give Brees the opportunity to compete for the title in his final years but on the other hand they know they must consider the future. As of now Ingram holds to much value to the former. He's an excellent all around running back that Brees depends on and I just don't see them trading that away. I also feel that Ingram has a lot to do with Kamara's success as they developed into ideal compliments to each other.

I agree with your logic. I don’t want to trade Ingram at all.  

But I also wouldn’t put it past Payton if he felt he had other offensive value in the draft. I mean we traded Cooks when we found Thomas, traded Graham in his prime as well. Ingram means more to this team than those guys did, but those traits might make him more valuable to other teams as well.

Payton has cahones and could draft our future while keeping us competitive if we leveraged a player instead of picks. If Ingram is off the board for you, who would be the centerpiece for your dream mock player draft day trade 

3 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I agree with your logic. I don’t want to trade Ingram at all.  

But I also wouldn’t put it past Payton if he felt he had other offensive value in the draft. I mean we traded Cooks when we found Thomas, traded Graham in his prime as well. Ingram means more to this team than those guys did, but those traits might make him more valuable to other teams as well.

Payton has cahones and could draft our future while keeping us competitive if we leveraged a player instead of picks. If Ingram is off the board for you, who would be the centerpiece for your dream mock player draft day trade 

Terron Armstead...

I love Armstead but I believe that Peat can play LT and play it well. Armstead just cant kick the injury bug but still holds alot of value. Peats 5th year option is 9+ million that the Sainta picked up and eventually something is gonna have to give. In a few years Brees deal will come off the books arpund the same time the Saints will be setting up plans for extentions with giys like Lattimore, Kamara, Peat, Thomas, etc. There will be a major shift in the Saints salary cap in a few years and Armstead might be a guy that we may need to sacrfice a year or two early in preperation for that.

3 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I wouldn’t hate it

I realize that this tradr idea is a long shot and kinda crazy on the surface... Im currently working on my final Saints mock draft (no trades) that I will post before the draft. Picking at 27 the Saints are likley to land a player wothin their top 20 on thier board but I suspect it could be at a position that many fans might not agree with.

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I think the big difference here is Payton really likes Ingram. The only time they argue is when Ingram's competitive side gets the best of his emotions, and then Payton pays him with touches. That's a relationship I doubt Payton would give up on, or capitalize on...yet.

Whereas Cooks and Graham both had some attitude issues, and we ALL know Payton doesn't play that game, regardless of your skillset.

I would sort of hate the trade due to more pressing needs that could be addressed by a player at that position, but since it's not for Baker Mayfield I would be fine with it.  I know we need a QB to develop behind Brees and if Payton is sure of Jackson, at worse Jackson could transition to WR much like Pryor did, and that Jackson won't make it out of the top 15, then I'd also be ok with the trade.

Also getting anything less than a 1st for Ingram would be a no-go for me.  If the Patriots wanted to offer us Gronk or a 1st for Ingram then I would make the trade, but less than that value I'd rather just keep Ingram.

29 minutes ago, Raves said:

I would sort of hate the trade due to more pressing needs that could be addressed by a player at that position, but since it's not for Baker Mayfield I would be fine with it.  I know we need a QB to develop behind Brees and if Payton is sure of Jackson, at worse Jackson could transition to WR much like Pryor did, and that Jackson won't make it out of the top 15, then I'd also be ok with the trade.

Also getting anything less than a 1st for Ingram would be a no-go for me.  If the Patriots wanted to offer us Gronk or a 1st for Ingram then I would make the trade, but less than that value I'd rather just keep Ingram.

Raves... My OSU go-to guy. Id like your opinion on a prospect that I consider underrated and thats Tyquan Lewis. I feel he'll end up as a 3rd or 4th rounder but produce much higher than where hes selected.

What do you think... Am I giving him to much love here?

7 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Raves... My OSU go-to guy. Id like your opinion on a prospect that I consider underrated and thats Tyquan Lewis. I feel he'll end up as a 3rd or 4th rounder but produce much higher than where hes selected.

What do you think... Am I giving him to much love here?

He was part of a DL rotation that was very deep and produced, I think he will fill a similar role in the NFL as a rotational pass-rusher that can also move inside when needed for extra pressure.  I think he could produce at a higher level than a 3rd/4th rounder but wouldn't be surprised if he just produced at that level.  It is really hard to judge any of the tOSU DE's that weren't Bosa and Hubbard as they played the majority of the snaps with the rest rotating in being fresh.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

He was part of a DL rotation that was very deep and produced, I think he will fill a similar role in the NFL as a rotational pass-rusher that can also move inside when needed for extra pressure.  I think he could produce at a higher level than a 3rd/4th rounder but wouldn't be surprised if he just produced at that level.  It is really hard to judge any of the tOSU DE's that weren't Bosa and Hubbard as they played the majority of the snaps with the rest rotating in being fresh.

What's your thoughts on Hubbard???

marginal pass rusher on the next level or a top end guy waiting to explode?

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

What's your thoughts on Hubbard???

marginal pass rusher on the next level or a top end guy waiting to explode?

Potential to be a stud, but probably going to end up just being a very solid DE that's probably more of a mid-2nd rounder than a 1st, though if he finally plays to his potential I think he would be worth a mid-1st pick, but more than likely late 1st/mid 2nd is probably his sweet spot for value.

I would probably prefer Lewis over Hubbard due to his versatility to play along the DL as a rusher and lower investment.  Obviously the prize of the tOSU DL is another Bosa so it's hard to figure out where everyone else fits into the puzzle around them and the attention their dominance commands.

I feel like Lamar Jackson's become way too underrated throughout the draft process. He's the most physically gifted QB we've seen since Cam and learning behind Brees and playing in our offensive system (the best there is) would be the perfect fit for him. I don't know how I feel about trading a ton of picks for him but I will say that I won't be mad if when Goodell goes up there to announce our pick (wherever it takes place at) and says the name "Lamar Jackson". Wouldn't be mad at all. 

Archived