Prediction: Saints will light draft night on fire!

whodatworm23

6 minutes ago, Raves said:

Tomorrow night guys!  1 more day till we get to be disappointed!

Haven't been disappointed over the last couple years. It will be almost impossible to repeat 2017, but I'll still be happy with whatever they decide. The last two years FO deserves that much.

3 minutes ago, ckoz24 said:

Haven't been disappointed over the last couple years. It will be almost impossible to repeat 2017, but I'll still be happy with whatever they decide. The last two years FO deserves that much.

I'm just preparing myself for a pick I'm not happy with so when they make a good selection I'm even more excited.

If we somehow manage to come out of the first round with either Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield it would be my absolute best case scenario for this draft. Really think they would be excellent replacement candidates for when Brees retires.

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

If we somehow manage to come out of the first round with either Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield it would be my absolute best case scenario for this draft. Really think they would be excellent replacement candidates for when Brees retires.

Please, anyone but Baker Mayfield, even if he does become the best QB in the draft, which I doubt, I think he's not worth the 1st.

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

Please, anyone but Baker Mayfield, even if he does become the best QB in the draft, which I doubt, I think he's not worth the 1st.

He's got a bit of an attitude, but it appears most NFL teams that have met with him have had very positive things to say about him. He's a guy that has picked up a couple silly penalties, and had a drunken run in with the police on a Disorderly Conduct. I simply don't care too much about any of that. We aren't looking at a Johnny Manziel type distraction here. I disagree with the above comment. If he becomes the best QB in this draft he's most certainly worth a 1st. He doesn't even need to be that to be worth a 1st. I think we look back on this draft with 3-4 good successful starting QB's. I think Mayfield in this offense would be a success. I get why some would be put off by his attitude, but at the end of the day I think his talent far outweighs what I believe possibly amounts to a few silly flags from him in the NFL for some thing like unsportsmanlike conduct/taunting. Unless there is another police related incident I'm not aware of, I am not concerned at all about the Disorderly Conduct, as it doesn't appear to be any sort of pattern of behavior with him off the field.

41 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

He's got a bit of an attitude, but it appears most NFL teams that have met with him have had very positive things to say about him. He's a guy that has picked up a couple silly penalties, and had a drunken run in with the police on a Disorderly Conduct. I simply don't care too much about any of that. We aren't looking at a Johnny Manziel type distraction here. I disagree with the above comment. If he becomes the best QB in this draft he's most certainly worth a 1st. He doesn't even need to be that to be worth a 1st. I think we look back on this draft with 3-4 good successful starting QB's. I think Mayfield in this offense would be a success. I get why some would be put off by his attitude, but at the end of the day I think his talent far outweighs what I believe possibly amounts to a few silly flags from him in the NFL for some thing like unsportsmanlike conduct/taunting. Unless there is another police related incident I'm not aware of, I am not concerned at all about the Disorderly Conduct, as it doesn't appear to be any sort of pattern of behavior with him off the field.

I was talking about currently at this moment, based on him as a prospect, I don't think he's worth the 1st.  Obviously if he becomes the best QB in the draft he was worth a 1st and then some, but then we are using hindsight.  Like for example the Saints have 4 players that would've been taken in the 1st round of a redraft of 2017, but does that mean that they would've been worth the 1st round pick at the time of the original draft?  Using hindsight you would say 100% that yes you use a 1st, even 3 top 12 picks, on them, but at the time of the draft they wouldn't have been worth the pick.

Players are worth specific picks based on production, potential, need, injury history, off-the-field behavior, and more.  Tom Brady for example is obviously worth the #1 overall pick multiple times over from his draft, same with Aaron Rodgers, but at the time of their drafts both fell due to one of those previously reasons that decided their worth at that time, and it was correct.

29 minutes ago, Raves said:

I was talking about currently at this moment, based on him as a prospect, I don't think he's worth the 1st.  Obviously if he becomes the best QB in the draft he was worth a 1st and then some, but then we are using hindsight.  Like for example the Saints have 4 players that would've been taken in the 1st round of a redraft of 2017, but does that mean that they would've been worth the 1st round pick at the time of the original draft?  Using hindsight you would say 100% that yes you use a 1st, even 3 top 12 picks, on them, but at the time of the draft they wouldn't have been worth the pick.

Players are worth specific picks based on production, potential, need, injury history, off-the-field behavior, and more.  Tom Brady for example is obviously worth the #1 overall pick multiple times over from his draft, same with Aaron Rodgers, but at the time of their drafts both fell due to one of those previously reasons that decided their worth at that time, and it was correct.

I get that all, but the initial statement read a bit different than that all of that to me: "even if he does become the best QB in the draft, which I doubt, I think he's not worth the 1st."

I took that as a statement of looking back in hindsight that if he is to become the best QB in this draft, he still isn't worth a 1st round pick. May just be a silly mix up.

I suppose fair enough if you don't view him as a 1st at this point in time. I respectfully disagree, and have him as a guy that in a system like ours will go on to be a very good QB in the NFL for years to come.

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I get that all, but the initial statement read a bit different than that all of that to me: "even if he does become the best QB in the draft, which I doubt, I think he's not worth the 1st."

I took that as a statement of looking back in hindsight that if he is to become the best QB in this draft, he still isn't worth a 1st round pick. May just be a silly mix up.

I suppose fair enough if you don't view him as a 1st at this point in time. I respectfully disagree, and have him as a guy that in a system like ours will go on to be a very good QB in the NFL for years to come.

I have a problem with the fact that his bravado is a little too much and that he might not be able to handle any prolonged period of failure.  He's been successful his entire career at Oklahoma with nothing to really test his ability succeed when the chips are down.  Looking at Cam Newton and Vince Young as two guys that had a lot of college success and a bit of an ego, both struggled with the losing their teams went through and the criticism that was levied against them, Vince Young to the point that he had a breakdown and Newton to the point that his play and even body language just poured out the depression, though obviously Newton turned it around you can still see him get into those skulking moods when the Panthers are playing poorly.  Not saying that will happen with Mayfield but that's something I worry about with guys that play with all that energy and confidence, sometimes when things just aren't going well they lose that confidence and just have trouble gaining it back.

50 minutes ago, Raves said:

I have a problem with the fact that his bravado is a little too much and that he might not be able to handle any prolonged period of failure.  He's been successful his entire career at Oklahoma with nothing to really test his ability succeed when the chips are down.  Looking at Cam Newton and Vince Young as two guys that had a lot of college success and a bit of an ego, both struggled with the losing their teams went through and the criticism that was levied against them, Vince Young to the point that he had a breakdown and Newton to the point that his play and even body language just poured out the depression, though obviously Newton turned it around you can still see him get into those skulking moods when the Panthers are playing poorly.  Not saying that will happen with Mayfield but that's something I worry about with guys that play with all that energy and confidence, sometimes when things just aren't going well they lose that confidence and just have trouble gaining it back.

While it's possible, I don't know that this is the case here. I don't think Vince Young and Cam Newton are comparable to each other. As you mentioned Vince Young is an extreme case that never was able to adapt to the NFL. Cam Newton has been on some really bad offenses, but has also won an MVP, and lead the Panthers to a Super Bowl. In the case of Newton I don't mind that if he can consistently be a good QB. I don't think his attitude is the culprit for his inconsistent accuracy. 

With Mayfield he is an entirely different QB than a guy like Vince Young in their path to the draft. Vince Young coming out of high school was rated as the number 1 recruit in the nation by many scouting services, and was an absolute physical freak. He rarely lost in high school or college, and had as much hype as I can remember for any QB coming out of the draft with his historic National Championship game. Baker Mayfield was an undersized low rated recruit that didn't even receive a scholarship from Texas Tech, even after stringing together a solid stretch of games for them as a freshman. He then transferred to Oklahoma, and ascended up the ranks as one of the best in the nation. While that energy may get him in trouble sometimes with silly flags, I'd be shocked if he doesn't continue to play with that chip on his shoulder with the path he had to take to get where he is now.

I wouldn't be mad, I have been looking at him like he is Mike Vick reborn. But I would be a LITTLE disappointed to not see us use the picks to try and get over the hump in the next year or two. But I am the main one preaching about setting us up for the future with a QB to be ready for life after Brees. If he is the guy, go for it. I do admit, I think he would be scary in the Saints offense.

Archived