Jump to content
NudeTayne

Would you guys trade a 2nd for Brock Osweiler?

What should the Dolphins give the Browns for Brock?  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. Compensation for Osweiler

    • 1st rounder
    • 2nd rounder
    • 3rd rounder and future 2nd rounder
      0
    • Mid rounder (4th-5th)
    • Late rounder (6th-7th)
      0
    • We don't want him because both Jay Cutler and Matt Moore are better and not worth the contract


39 posts in this topic

NudeTayne    16

I figure Cutler is just a stopgap, and it looks like Tannehill is done.  Brok has a few years left on a contract that is below average starter money.  They could just cut Tannehill outright after the season, as he's not due much more guaranteed money.  Or maybe a 3rd plus a future pick ike a 2nd round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hrubes20    10

This isn't a real question, is it?  I would take a one-legged Tannehill over a perfectly healthy Osweiler, but even that isn't necessary.  Tannehill's injury isn't considered a career-threatening one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cddolphin    70

I wouldn't trade a conditional 7th for Brock Osweiler.

A 2nd is laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cddolphin    70
6 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

and it looks like Tannehill is done

This is also a huge assumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NudeTayne    16
4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I wouldn't trade a conditional 7th for Brock Osweiler.

A 2nd is laughable.

If you wouldn't trade a conditional 7th for Brock Osweiler, that would mean you're saying that you think he's no good, right?  Why not trade a conditional pick that could be really good then, since you have no expectation of him reaching the escalators to trigger the 1st/2nd rounder, right?  This would be like the analysts covering Jim Rome's show wgile he's away on vacation are saying about the $3 million escalators in Jay Cutler's contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cddolphin    70
4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If you wouldn't trade a conditional 7th for Brock Osweiler, that would mean you're saying that you think he's no good, right?  Why not trade a conditional pick that could be really good then, since you have no expectation of him reaching the escalators to trigger the 1st/2nd rounder, right?  This would be like the analysts covering Jim Rome's show wgile he's away on vacation are saying about the $3 million escalators in Jay Cutler's contract.

I'm not understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NudeTayne    16
Just now, cddolphin said:

I'm not understanding.

Could trade a conditional 7th, let's say, with the Browns eating most of his contract this year.  Then, for example, it could become a 5th if he starts 4 games, a 4th if he starts 8 games, a 3rd if he starts 8 games and they make the playoffs or he starts 12 games and is rated top-20, a 2nd if he starts 12 games and is rated top-16, a 1st if he starts 12 games and is rated top-16 and makes the playoffs.  If you think he's crap,then there would be no risk other than him succeeding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cddolphin    70
1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Could trade a conditional 7th, let's say, with the Browns eating most of his contract this year.  Then, for example, it could become a 5th if he starts 4 games, a 4th if he starts 8 games, a 3rd if he starts 8 games and they make the playoffs or he starts 12 games and is rated top-20, a 2nd if he starts 12 games and is rated top-16, a 1st if he starts 12 games and is rated top-16 and makes the playoffs.  If you think he's crap,then there would be no risk other than him succeeding.

That's a lose-lose bet. Either you acquire a terrible QB for cheap and you have a crap season when you could've just started Matt Moore. Or you end up sending something like a 3rd round pick away just because Brock managed to stay on the field for 8 games. Why would the Dolphins FO do that?

Cutler will cost between $10-$13 million this year compared to Brock's $16 million. Oh, and Cutler has shown more quarterbacking ability in any of his seasons than Brock has flashed in his whole career. He also didn't cost any draft capital to acquire and isn't under contract beyond this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NudeTayne    16
2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

That's a lose-lose bet. Either you acquire a terrible QB for cheap and you have a crap season when you could've just started Matt Moore. Or you end up sending something like a 3rd round pick away just because Brock managed to stay on the field for 8 games. Why would the Dolphins FO do that?

Cutler will cost between $10-$13 million this year compared to Brock's $16 million. Oh, and Cutler has shown more quarterbacking ability in any of his seasons than Brock has flashed in his whole career. He also didn't cost any draft capital to acquire and isn't under contract beyond this season.

That would only be if he started 8 games or more and they made the playoffs.  It would be assumed--the defense isn't especially good right now--that Brock played well enough at that point to earn a 3rd rounder's compensation--late 3rd since it would be a playoff pick.  Can't get something for nothing.  Once Cutler gets injured, though, my price goes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cddolphin    70
22 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Once Cutler gets injured, though, my price goes up.

I think you're mis-attributing desperation with regards to the QB situation here in Miami. If Cutler gets hurt, Moore is the starter and the most likely scenario is signing someone like Christian Ponder to be the backup.

The Dolphins didn't run out to get Cutler because they desperately needed a QB. It was just a unique situation where a QB Gase had worked with before and found success with was available to step in without the Dolphins having to send away picks. Had Cutler said no, I highly doubt Gase and Tannenbaum would've started tossing out picks in the hopes of landing possibly the worst starting QB of 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NudeTayne    16
3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

I think you're mis-attributing desperation with regards to the QB situation here in Miami. If Cutler gets hurt, Moore is the starter and the most likely scenario is signing someone like Christian Ponder to be the backup.

The Dolphins didn't run out to get Cutler because they desperately needed a QB. It was just a unique situation where a QB Gase had worked with before and found success with was available to step in without the Dolphins having to send away picks. Had Cutler said no, I highly doubt Gase and Tannenbaum would've started tossing out picks in the hopes of landing possibly the worst starting QB of 2016.

Regarding Brock, his accuracy is above average. The 2016 stat line doesn't indicate it (balls routinely bounding off of numbers and hands, balls sailing over a WRs head that is literally jogging and not running his route to fall incomplete). 

Brock's decision making also looked good prior to last year. The new system, and inept coaches trying to install a new QB into said system without the ability to teach it contributed to that decision making. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cddolphin    70
2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Regarding Brock, his accuracy is above average. The 2016 stat line doesn't indicate it (balls routinely bounding off of numbers and hands, balls sailing over a WRs head that is literally jogging and not running his route to fall incomplete). 

Brock's decision making also looked good prior to last year. The new system, and inept coaches trying to install a new QB into said system without the ability to teach it contributed to that decision making. 

Where would you rank Osweiler? Top 20? Top 32? Top 50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Osweiler is fools Gold ala Matt Cassel, Scott Mitchell a young guy that flashed a little talent on a great team and people go all franchise on them and they are not even decent backups a few years later. Miami needs to start looking for new QB in the draft in the next 1 - 3 years or make a big splash and go get Kirk Cousins this off season if he proves this year he is truly a franchise type QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×