Wednesday Night Football - Panthers vs Texans (fret v ET!)

ET80

7 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

I need to see more McCaffrey with Newton. Defense might be pretty great again this year. Your guys need to stop breaking all the rules.

McCaffery got in a lot of work with a very vanilla playbook, but he looked patient and capable running out of all formations. I think he's gonna work just fine when things are opened up and Cam is under center...

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not to say anyone should be disappointed or surprised, but Watson relied so incredibly much on his feet and escapability to make most of his throws tonight. I really wish he would have sat in the pocket more often and not scramble out wildly as soon as the pocket wasn't perfect. Overall he looked very solid and I hope/think he takes the starting gig from Savage, however I hope to see him settle his feet down throughout preseason.

I think part of this has to do with the patchwork OL the Texans put out there. Duane Brown holding out is really putting that group as a whole behind.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

From some random YouTube comment that got super up-voted on Watson's highlights:

The cold hard truth based on one preseason game. This kid looks terrible. Everything you would hope to be good was bad. I'm no fan of him or Houston but Houston please do not ruin this guy by starting him this year. Here is what was so terrible:

Footwork: If your feet aren't right it will affect the most basic of throws like the throw to the RB 5 yards in front of him when he threw the ball behind him. Most of the overthrows were a result of bad footwork and improper drops in his steps.

Release Point: How he carried the ball in his drop and where he released it from was all over the place. This will not give you a chance in establishing muscle memory in good mechanics to know how to throw certain routes. Couple that with learning the varying speed of his receivers and he will not make it in this league.

Field Vision: This was my biggest knock on his college tape. He reads one side of the field mostly so he stares his targets down. This is going to make it harder for him to run an offense because he's not reading the whole field.

Decision Making: Some throws you just don't throw and abandoning your pocket to the side that you've starred down the whole play is not going to get anyone open (that you can see). There was some good. He throw well on the run but you would hope he doesn't have to run to make throws. He has a nice strong arm going deep.

Synopsis: If you are counting on this guy for this season then Houston you have a problem.

Just found this funny. 

That is pretty funny, because he isn't particularly wrong on any point, besides IMO release point. However, none of those things were glaring and all of it is expected from a rookie signal caller. His footwork was really good in the pocket, but there were definitely times where he got antsy leaving the pocket and his footwork suffered. That last drive in the first half was very poised. Field vision is hilarious, the guy was clearly going through his reads and even made the correct throw most of the time. There was one play in the second half where he went through all his reads and then dumped it off to the back. It wasn't perfect but then, first game ever. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

McCaffery got in a lot of work with a very vanilla playbook, but he looked patient and capable running out of all formations. I think he's gonna work just fine when things are opened up and Cam is under center...

Oh definitely liked what I saw, just want to see more! :D

I think he's going to be a consistent contributor with some nice splash plays, at worst. At best, kid will be ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Oh definitely liked what I saw, just want to see more! :D

I think he's going to be a consistent contributor with some nice splash plays, at worst. At best, kid will be ridiculous.

Early indications? Texans and Panthers won the draft. :D

Jags lost. Because @iPwn. That sound about right?

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Early indications? Texans and Panthers won the draft. :D

Jags lost. Because @iPwn. That sound about right?

Seems legit.

I do think Watson showed some good stuff last night. Obviously a rookie, but has some good instincts and talent. If he spends the time he needs to honing his craft, I think he can be a really good player for the Texans. Kind of like watching Newton that first season. You'd see some plays and go, "Well, I hope he can figure it out". But most of the time, you're thinking, "Huh, this could really pan out!"

Archived