Bleacher Report Article: An open letter to the Cleveland Browns

candyman93

I hate the sediment that if Taylor was so good, why did Buffalo trade him. Taylor isnt a franchise QB. Bills know that and the Browns know that. Bills were smart enough to just move on and keep attempting to find a franchise QB. Taylor comes to Cleveland to be the QB who rights the ship, gets the franchise/team back on tracl, and then can be remembered as the guy who turned it around for the rookie. Dorsey brought him for what he can do on the field, by being a true game manager but also being a guy who can be a legit leader for the offense/team. Getting that kind of offensive captain is going to be huge because the Browns just lost one to retirement. 

Hell, I dont think since the Browns have come back that they have had this kind of leadership from the QB position. I dont remember ever hearing about the QBs and WRs/TEs/RBs getting together to have workouts and throwing sessions like they have done so far. 

I dont think we will see a split like we saw in '14 where some guys like Hoyer and some guys like Manziel. I think everyone will be on board with Taylor being the QB for the entire year. 

From what I have seen from Dorsey is that if he likes it, he goes and gets it. And he doesnt let price stand in the way of getting who he wants.

The article cited a high 3rd round pick for a QB that the Bills deemed expendable after leading them to the playoffs. Dorsey wanted him and paid the asking price even if it seemed a round too high. Then he went out and was aggressive in getting + locking up Landry that some might thought it was too large of a contract. There was also contract spending in KC for 'his guys'.

Some might think he just overpays, but I at least love the fact that Dorsey seemes decisive and identifies players that fit him and goes and gets them

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

From what I have seen from Dorsey is that if he likes it, he goes and gets it. And he doesnt let price stand in the way of getting who he wants.

The article cited a high 3rd round pick for a QB that the Bills deemed expendable after leading them to the playoffs. Dorsey wanted him and paid the asking price even if it seemed a round too high. Then he went out and was aggressive in getting + locking up Landry that some might thought it was too large of a contract. There was also contract spending in KC for 'his guys'.

Some might think he just overpays, but I at least love the fact that Dorsey seemes decisive and identifies players that fit him and goes and gets them

That’s all well and good, but that’s prolly the easiest part of his job.

Anyone can overpay someone when given 9 figures of cap space.

Anyone can “overpay” with draft picks when you’ve inherited an absurd wealth of picks to work with.

As much as I love the Moneyball approach (with lots of analytics), we still need to hit on these picks at the league average. Honestly, we need to be ahead of the league average based on the fact that we’re the worst team in the league. Love or hate Doresey, he has shown to be pretty damn good at picking players. Could Sashi have done just as well? Maybe, but Dorsey has proven to have a keen eye for NFL players. He reminds me of Heckert (in a good way). Heckert got derailed by working for Holmgren (still think Holmgren pushed the Richardson and Weeden picks). Oh, and the booze.

My point is, I’m fine with Dorsey being decisive and willing to “overpay” if he hits more than he misses.

28 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

As much as I love the Moneyball approach (with lots of analytics), we still need to hit on these picks at the league average. Honestly, we need to be ahead of the league average based on the fact that we’re the worst team in the league. Love or hate Doresey, he has shown to be pretty damn good at picking players. Could Sashi have done just as well? Maybe, but Dorsey has proven to have a keen eye for NFL players. He reminds me of Heckert (in a good way). Heckert got derailed by working for Holmgren (still think Holmgren pushed the Richardson and Weeden picks). Oh, and the booze.

My point is, I’m fine with Dorsey being decisive and willing to “overpay” if he hits more than he misses.

If he finally picks the right freaking qb he’ll be a god in these parts. 

56 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

As much as I love the Moneyball approach (with lots of analytics), we still need to hit on these picks at the league average.

Statistically the best GMs hit about 56% of the time, the worst about 45%.  That’s one extra hit every two years for context.  

Honestly, we need to be ahead of the league average based on the fact that we’re the worst team in the league.

The above statistic shows why expecting/needing to hit more often is failed logic, hence the Moneyball approach.

Love or hate Doresey, he has shown to be pretty damn good at picking players.

Has he though?

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Every-selection-John-Dorsey-made-in-the-NFL-Draft-112328382

Some good players on that list, no doubt, but a whole lot of whiffs as well. A lot of the talent that made up the core of the successful chiefs teams he inherited (Berry, Poe, Johnson, Hali, Bailey, Hudson, Charles).

Could Sashi have done just as well? Maybe, but Dorsey has proven to have a keen eye for NFL players. He reminds me of Heckert (in a good way). Heckert got derailed by working for Holmgren (still think Holmgren pushed the Richardson and Weeden picks). Oh, and the booze.

Interesting as I see the Heckert similarities with Sashi.  Pushed by Hue in other directions at QB, drafted some high upside players who (I believe) will be successful and people will look back and say, “Damn, maybe he wasn’t so bad.  In fact in his two drafts he managed to select x many Pro Bowlers”

I agree, I’m just not sure he hits any more than anyone else. I think the Chiefs, who essentially topped out are an example of that. He did a great job solving their QB issues (he DOES seem to understand that issue), but, as I said, I think the roster other than that isn’t that much better than when he started.

Archived