What I want and don't want in the draft

James Lofton

I want us to trade up one spot with Washington as I think some other team will leap frog us for some awesome talent that has dropped because of the crazy run on QBs.

I don’t want us to look at WRs till our second 4th round pick.I can live with what we currently have for 2018 and also there is some intriguing talent to be found late on. 

I want us to go defence with our first three picks and I want us to get an OLB, a DB and an ILB in no particular order. This defence needs speed and talent.

19 hours ago, James Lofton said:

WANT:

-Been wanting an edge rusher in the first round for a long time

-Unless Ward falls, then I'll take him

-draft a WR in the 2nd and OL in the 4th.

DONT WANT:

-don't draft any RBs or DL or QBs

-a Safety who we convert to CB

How about you?

Pretty much covers it, but I'd like a TE  as well. Also, I'd take a RB or DL if one fell a few rounds further than we had a grade on them. Today's strength can become tomorrows weakness in the NFL in 1 or 2 weeks. Multiple injuries at the same position are common place for us lately. I do agree those are not positions I hope we are targeting. 

Ideally for me if the draft fell perfectly:

2 - EDGE

2 - CB

2 - WR

2 - OL

2 - TE

1 - ILB

1 - S

I don't want Davenport. Just strikes me as a Tarzan/Jane type. With that athletic ability, he should have been dominant at that level and he just wasn't. He's a project purely based on his physical traits and I hate that type of prospect.

Hard no to LVE also unless you realize he's an off ball LB only.

I don't think Vita Vea is all that special. Horrible value pick and we already have Clark and Daniels firmly entrenched. 

The 3 I'm hoping for are still James, Fitzpatrick, and Landry, in that order.

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't want Davenport. Just strikes me as a Tarzan/Jane type. With that athletic ability, he should have been dominant at that level and he just wasn't. He's a project purely based on his physical traits and I hate that type of prospect.

Hard no to LVE also unless you realize he's an off ball LB only.

I don't think Vita Vea is all that special. Horrible value pick and we already have Clark and Daniels firmly entrenched. 

The 3 I'm hoping for are still James, Fitzpatrick, and Landry, in that order.

On the NFL draft sub on Reddit, there was a pinned AMA by a corner who's in the draft from UTSA. He answered a question but Davenport. He said "he's a big teddy bear, quote me on that"

Well. That doesn't sound good...

Don't want:

- Unless we're trading up for either Ward or Chubb (if he falls outside of the top 7), I don't want to trade up.

- Offensive Lineman early.  I think we are plenty deep on the line right now, we've got substantially bigger holes to fill with our early picks.

-Defensive Lineman early.  See above.  We're deep in this area as well. 

- ILB early.  We've got a lot of holes this year and need to pick our battles.  I think Martinez and Ryan are adequate.  I also think CM3 could see some time in the middle if we draft an OLB early.

- RB or QB

Want:

- Edge rusher and CB drafted early.  If Ward is gone, I prefer either Landry or Davenport in the first. 

- Double dipping of each Edge Rusher and CB. 

- WR who can get on the field immediately. 

- TE prospect

Impartial:

- If either Fitz or James fall to us, I wouldn't be throwing my arms up about the pick.  While I don't believe either are going to transition to NFL CB, I'm not convinced that we're sitting all that great at Safety.  HHCD was terrible last year (and is going to require a major raise soon) and Josh Jones was an abomination while in coverage.   

-WR in the first.  Wouldn't love it but I think Calvin Ridley is a stud.  He's got the potential to be the best WR AR12 has ever had in GB (you know what they say about potential though)

- Trading down.  A couple of teams who have a bunch of assets in the 1st and 2nd could look at moving up for a QB.  Wouldn't be opposed to moving back in the 1st to gain an extra 2nd.

Want:

A difference maker in the secondary early.

A good pass rusher to play behind Matthews/Perry early.

A outside receiver opposite Adams early.

A middle round guard to complete our OL.

A backup Tackle to add depth behind Bak/Bulaga.

A ILB to compete for the 2nd spot with Jake Ryan in the middle to late rounds, or if one of the top ILBs fall to us in round one or two.

A middle to late round TE to complement Graham. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't want:

Defensive Line early.

Running back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we land Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick tomorrow I will be so happy.

Dont want:

ANY medical issue's guys. If he's had (or is recently recovering from) surgery of some "structural" nature - PASS. We get a four year shot at most of these guys. Five if they turn out well - and since it already takes some "acclimation period" before they start to kick *** in the NFL - lets not invest in medical issues.

Us to PASS on some superior talent just because he smoked a joint or hit somebody when he was a teenager. Green Bay has walked past all sorts of top talent fearing (I guess) that they'll be recidivist criminals. Meanwhile, they take their talents elsewhere and succeed or fail with the same % or likelihood as everybody else. We want a talented, winning roster? Draft talent. I dont want choir boys. I want hard nosed, talented football players.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Where is the draft day thread?  I need to ask for a way to watch it.  Streaming.  Gotta make sure I don't have to scramble by the time it starts. 

Pinned to the top. Also here's a thread from the general draft forum about this

What I'd like to see happen today is a trade up in round 4 from our 33rd pick to somewhere in the teens, by giving up one of our 5th comps and to take an OLB. Holland, Ejiofor, Armstrong, Sweat, Okoronkwo,  even Shaquem Griffin is tempting just for the energy and spirit he would bring. 

Then with our first in the 5th I want to take a WR - St. Brown, Deon Cain, Callaway, Hamilton, Coutee, Cobbs, Fountain, Lazard, Cedric Wilson. I think there is a few there that will last.

I'd like another trade up in the 5th and with our remaining 5th and 6th round selection and grab a TE. Shultz, Thomas, Fumagalli.

With our 7th just grab some trench bodies.

p.s. I liked I what happened first two days - I wanted 3 defence players and I wanted an ILB. So I'm super happy.

42 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

What I'd like to see happen today is a trade up in round 4 from our 33rd pick to somewhere in the teens, by giving up one of our 5th comps and to take an OLB. Holland, Ejiofor, Armstrong, Sweat, Okoronkwo,  even Shaquem Griffin is tempting just for the energy and spirit he would bring. 

Then with our first in the 5th I want to take a WR - St. Brown, Deon Cain, Callaway, Hamilton, Coutee, Cobbs, Fountain, Lazard, Cedric Wilson. I think there is a few there that will last.

I'd like another trade up in the 5th and with our remaining 5th and 6th round selection and grab a TE. Shultz, Thomas, Fumagalli.

With our 7th just grab some trench bodies.

p.s. I liked I what happened first two days - I wanted 3 defence players and I wanted an ILB. So I'm super happy.

Aaaaaaaaaagh

-Geronimo Alllison is our starting Receiver

-Our Tight Ends are ancient

-Our line is being held together by Bulaga's knee and whatever UDFA we can plug in at Guard

-We haven't drafted an offensive player in the first 2 days for 2 years

-Rodgers is the franchise but he has no one to play with on offense

And people want more defensive players !!!!!!. They want to trade up so they can take more defensive players. Then they will want more defensive players. Then they probably want a Long Snapper . Mummy please make them stop. 

Was it me just imagining it or did anyone else see how piss poor our defence was last year??? You were cool with King, House and Tramon as our corners??? You were fine that we had only two ILBs on our roster???

We were doing fine with the offence we had last season till Rodgers went down. And the only major loss we have had is Nelson and we added Graham.

Allison I got no issue with. We have lots of cash tied into our offence and we have good targets with Cobb, Adams and Graham. 

I could see next years draft being very offence focused. Our defence had so many holes that needed fixing now. 

Archived