Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

8 hours ago, catcheryea said:

put your helmets on, we're going tanking again boys

Honestly, best thing for the long term.  Add one more lottery pick and look for a max contract in '23 FA while the young talent develops and gels.  Probably be selling at the trade deadline this year to maybe move up in the lottery with a package of picks if the Pistons find themselves outside of the top 5.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Honestly, best thing for the long term.  Add one more lottery pick and look for a max contract in '23 FA while the young talent develops and gels.  Probably be selling at the trade deadline this year to maybe move up in the lottery with a package of picks if the Pistons find themselves outside of the top 5.

Yep. The East is too good right now to stop tanking. At best we’d be looking at a play in spot and that’s not likely. May as well let the kids develop and hope for another big lottery win. 

I know summer league has to be taken with a grain of salt, especially after two games but definitely excited for the future of the Pistons.  Ivey looks electric out there and in the NBA he should flourish with more space and freedom than he had at Purdue.  Duren is looking like a young Bam, obviously with a lot to work n but looking good holding his own.  I thought he might spend some time in the G League given his age but he seems to be able to hold his own against NBA level players so hopefully he stays up.  Livers looks like he could be a nice 3/4 off the bench.  Still trying to figure out rotations and final roster.  Seems like Olynyk is an odd man out down low (and oddly enough our highest paid player).  I would like to see us move him but not sure we can get anything for him.  Maybe next year when he is an expiring.  

PG - Cade, Hayes, Lee/Joseph
SG - Ivey, Burks, Lee/Joseph?
SF - Bey, Diallo, Knox
PF - Bagely, Livers, Some Stewart and Bey
C - Stewart, Duren, Noel, Olynyk

This is where the Bagley deal is weird to me.  Seems he should have got something closer to what Josh Jackson got from us as a failed top pick.  Seems like a lot of guys with similar skill sets down low in Bagley, Noel, and Duren.  Stewart seems to be working on his outside shot which would help a ton but still seems like a clogged lane for Ivey/Cade.  I am guessing we see some run with small ball lineups with Hayes/Ivey/Cade/Bey/one of the bigs.  Or swap Burks with Hayes just to spread the floor more.  Not the ideal offseason I had envisioned but we are set up well moving forward after these guys develop some.  

• Like 1

Good write up, @Sllim Pickens

The Olynyk situation is interesting. His game fits what we need a lot more than Noel. I don’t know, maybe there will be minutes for everyone. The front court logjam and it’s weird fits will probably lose them some games this year, which is fine. Maybe one of the older guys will look good and we can trade them. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Good write up, @Sllim Pickens

The Olynyk situation is interesting. His game fits what we need a lot more than Noel. I don’t know, maybe there will be minutes for everyone. The front court logjam and it’s weird fits will probably lose them some games this year, which is fine. Maybe one of the older guys will look good and we can trade them. 

That would be ideal.  We have a lot of guys on reasonable contracts, would be solid to be able to move some but also have to keep that roster flexibility for next year so dont want to take on any longer bad contracts to move someone. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Not the ideal offseason I had envisioned but we are set up well moving forward after these guys develop some.  

Adding Duren and Ivey was a best case scenario, imo. You guys finally have your young core to build around with Cade/Ivey/Bey/Duren. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Adding Duren and Ivey was a best case scenario, imo. You guys finally have your young core to build around with Cade/Ivey/Bey/Duren. 

I agree we are set up well for the future.  We are still a couple of years of development away with that core though and by then we will have to pay or move Bey/Stewart/Hayes.  I think in a perfect world, a team of Cade, Ivey, Bey, Bridges, Ayton is a top 6 team in the East next year and would have been fun.  Potentially could have set us up to lose Bey with Bridges and Ayton contracts but would have been fine when Cade/Ivey are due.  Then the Bridges assault happened and I dont care if he ever plays in the league again and we got Duren instead of Ayton.  Now I love Duren and think he can become a Bam type, but he is super young and will take a couple of years to get there.  

The Burks/Noel trade is still weird to me.  I hope we flip them both to contenders at the deadline for more draft capital as long as we dont take on any extra years of bad money.  Both seem like solid 7th/8th men on a good team but just feel unnecessary on a young developing team.  Burks at least will have value to help Cade work on his playmaking as he can knock down shots.  

The Bagley deal is still weird to me as well.  He was a flop other than one and a half months of his career and we gave him 12+ a year for 3 years.  Seems like he should have been in the 5-8M a year range for 2 years or just play on the QO. Especially since it happened after Noel and Duren were added.  

I am glad we didn't take on any long term big deals.  We should have cap flexibility next year as well and hopefully with some growth from our young guys, we can attract someone. Even if its just a disgruntled star or a fringe max player that wants a sign and trade, we should have the capacity to take them on.  Adding some picks from Burks/Noel would be helpful to give us more assets to be able to trade since we can't trade a pick for a while unless we finish better than a top 18 pick this year. 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree we are set up well for the future.  We are still a couple of years of development away with that core though and by then we will have to pay or move Bey/Stewart/Hayes.  I think in a perfect world, a team of Cade, Ivey, Bey, Bridges, Ayton is a top 6 team in the East next year and would have been fun.  Potentially could have set us up to lose Bey with Bridges and Ayton contracts but would have been fine when Cade/Ivey are due.  Then the Bridges assault happened and I dont care if he ever plays in the league again and we got Duren instead of Ayton.  Now I love Duren and think he can become a Bam type, but he is super young and will take a couple of years to get there.  

The Burks/Noel trade is still weird to me.  I hope we flip them both to contenders at the deadline for more draft capital as long as we dont take on any extra years of bad money.  Both seem like solid 7th/8th men on a good team but just feel unnecessary on a young developing team.  Burks at least will have value to help Cade work on his playmaking as he can knock down shots.  

The Bagley deal is still weird to me as well.  He was a flop other than one and a half months of his career and we gave him 12+ a year for 3 years.  Seems like he should have been in the 5-8M a year range for 2 years or just play on the QO. Especially since it happened after Noel and Duren were added.  

I am glad we didn't take on any long term big deals.  We should have cap flexibility next year as well and hopefully with some growth from our young guys, we can attract someone. Even if its just a disgruntled star or a fringe max player that wants a sign and trade, we should have the capacity to take them on.  Adding some picks from Burks/Noel would be helpful to give us more assets to be able to trade since we can't trade a pick for a while unless we finish better than a top 18 pick this year. 

I think your three pillars going forward will be Ivey/Cade/Duren with a chance that Bey sticks around as well. I also think both Burks and Noel are guys that you'll move during the season for solid returns. 

You guys could use another 3/4 with plus athleticism and I think you guys are set up to show progress but not good enough to make the playoffs. Next years draft is loaded with talented, athletic forwards.