Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think your three pillars going forward will be Ivey/Cade/Duren with a chance that Bey sticks around as well. I also think both Burks and Noel are guys that you'll move during the season for solid returns. 

You guys could use another 3/4 with plus athleticism and I think you guys are set up to show progress but not good enough to make the playoffs. Next years draft is loaded with talented, athletic forwards. 

Thats pretty much how I feel.  I like Bey, but he could be upgraded.  If Cade and Ivey become stars, he is a solid third/fourth piece.  Duren I think has a lot of outcomes but should be at least a Mitchell Robinson type and at best a Bam.  

We do need more athletes on the wings and at the 4.  Stewart could be the 4 we are looking for if he truly has an outside game and keeps improving on D.  But I similarly to Bey, he can be upgraded for sure but could be a solid role player if the stars develop around him.  I definitely like our foundation going forward but now its just hoping they become what people expect, which is not often the case. 

9 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i already know if saddiq doesn't have a surefire all star year then the offseason discourse about how much his extension should be worth will be unbearable

If he doesn't have an All Star type year, which I fully expect him not to, I am not sure I sign him to an extension and just let him become an RFA the year after.  Right now with his shooting percentages, he is on the list of guys who need to take big steps this year or be replaced. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If he doesn't have an All Star type year, which I fully expect him not to, I am not sure I sign him to an extension and just let him become an RFA the year after.  Right now with his shooting percentages, he is on the list of guys who need to take big steps this year or be replaced. 

His whole game needs to take a big step. His defense gets a little overrated too. I think he’s going to take a big step, though. I think he was working on weaker points of his game last year. He’ll be able to lean on his strengths more this year because of the team’s improved ball handling. 

it feels like there are too many guys on the roster who could/should get minutes next year to start the season with all of them still in detroit. even if you assume knox and saben are the two last guys off the bench and will no minutes in with a healthy rotation that still leaves:

5 guys for two guard spots: cade, ivey, killian, burks, cojo

3 guys for one (and a half?) forward spots: bey, livers, diallo

5 guys for two big spots: stewart, bagley, duren, olynyk, noel

17 hours ago, catcheryea said:

it feels like there are too many guys on the roster who could/should get minutes next year to start the season with all of them still in detroit. even if you assume knox and saben are the two last guys off the bench and will no minutes in with a healthy rotation that still leaves:

Agreed, it feels crowded.  Diallo and Livers are fighting for their careers so hopefully one of them steps up and takes that backup up 3 role behind Bey or even Knox if we somehow find some untapped potential.  Same with the bigs, unless Duren starts the year in the G League just to get steady minutes until we can move Noel for something worth while but that might be more valuable closer to the deadline to a contender.  Olynyk I wish would be moved but not to take on long term salary.  He may have more value as an expiring in a trade next offseason but would need to play to have value then. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed, it feels crowded.  Diallo and Livers are fighting for their careers so hopefully one of them steps up and takes that backup up 3 role behind Bey or even Knox if we somehow find some untapped potential.  Same with the bigs, unless Duren starts the year in the G League just to get steady minutes until we can move Noel for something worth while but that might be more valuable closer to the deadline to a contender.  Olynyk I wish would be moved but not to take on long term salary.  He may have more value as an expiring in a trade next offseason but would need to play to have value then. 

I feel like we see Duren start in the G League until the rest of the minutes get sorted out. think Olynyk is gone before next season one way or another. Isn’t he basically already an expiring with only $3 million guaranteed next year?  Get him and Noel out of there, and it isn’t that bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, winitall said:

I feel like we see Duren start in the G League until the rest of the minutes get sorted out. think Olynyk is gone before next season one way or another. Isn’t he basically already an expiring with only $3 million guaranteed next year?  Get him and Noel out of there, and it isn’t that bad. 

I agree. The bigs are the group that is most crowded. I think there’s plenty of time to go around for the guards and wings. Hopefully this means a whole lot less CoJo. The bigs, though. That’s a logjam. Noel is the most redundant IMO.

1 hour ago, winitall said:

casey said in an interview a couple days ago that duren "will have an impact on playing early in our season"

obviously that doesn't really mean anything but there hasn't been anybody in or around the organization that has said they expect him to start in the g league

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Diallo and Livers are fighting for their careers so hopefully one of them steps up and takes that backup up 3 role behind Bey or even Knox if we somehow find some untapped potential.

livers definitely isn't at the point where he's fighting for his career. as a rookie who was coming off missing almost a full 12 months with injuries, he was pretty good once he got fully healthy. if they didn't need to figure out how to get at least 3 bigs enough minutes, i could be convinced he should be the other starting forward. he's a perfect guy to play with cade and ivey, he doesn't need the ball, just stick him in a corner and let him space the floor and hit kick outs. and i was more impressed with his defense at summer league than just about anything else i saw from anybody else

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

livers definitely isn't at the point where he's fighting for his career. as a rookie who was coming off missing almost a full 12 months with injuries, he was pretty good once he got fully healthy. if they didn't need to figure out how to get at least 3 bigs enough minutes, i could be convinced he should be the other starting forward. he's a perfect guy to play with cade and ivey, he doesn't need the ball, just stick him in a corner and let him space the floor and hit kick outs. and i was more impressed with his defense at summer league than just about anything else i saw from anybody else

Livers is a second year, second round pick who barely played last year.  He is playing for his career right now, just like all end of the bench guys without guaranteed contracts.  He just happens to have had a good showing in summer league this year so there is some optimism he can earn a role on the team.  I agree he is in the mold of a player that would be a great fit with Cade/Ivey, but doing what he did this summer consistently while defending NBA level 4s is much harder than the SL.   I am hopeful he can step up and earn that role but he still has to do it.  

59 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Livers is a second year, second round pick who barely played last year.  He is playing for his career right now, just like all end of the bench guys without guaranteed contracts.  He just happens to have had a good showing in summer league this year so there is some optimism he can earn a role on the team.  I agree he is in the mold of a player that would be a great fit with Cade/Ivey, but doing what he did this summer consistently while defending NBA level 4s is much harder than the SL.   I am hopeful he can step up and earn that role but he still has to do it.  

if saben lee is still on this team, there's almost nothing livers could do this year that would make me think he won't be next year

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2022 at 3:33 PM, catcheryea said:

The big lineup looks a lot more clear now without Olynyk. Although I’m curious how things shake out on the wing. 

8 minutes ago, winitall said:

The big lineup looks a lot more clear now without Olynyk. Although I’m curious how things shake out on the wing. 

it clears it up a little bit but it's not like duren and noel can or should play together so one of them probably gets fewer minutes than he wants (noel) or than the fans want (duren). and it adds an extra guy to the wing rotation. right now if they use a 10 man rotation i'm hoping it looks something like this

cade - ivey - bey - bagley - stew

hayes - burks - livers - bojan - duren/noel

i think that starting five is basically locked in unless they swap burks and ivey and the second group has a ton of shooting around killian who in theory (IN THEORY) could run a bunch of pnrs and find his roller or someone on the perimeter. it also gives casey a bunch of different closing lineup options

i could definitely see bogdanovic getting moved again before the season is over. we know how much weaver loves 2nd round picks

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

it clears it up a little bit but it's not like duren and noel can or should play together so one of them probably gets fewer minutes than he wants (noel) or than the fans want (duren). and it adds an extra guy to the wing rotation. right now if they use a 10 man rotation i'm hoping it looks something like this

cade - ivey - bey - bagley - stew

hayes - burks - livers - bojan - duren/noel

i think that starting five is basically locked in unless they swap burks and ivey and the second group has a ton of shooting around killian who in theory (IN THEORY) could run a bunch of pnrs and find his roller or someone on the perimeter. it also gives casey a bunch of different closing lineup options

i could definitely see bogdanovic getting moved again before the season is over. we know how much weaver loves 2nd round picks

I’ll defer to you, but any chance we could see Bojan start over Bagley?  Obviously that hurts the second team shooting quite a bit, but I think that starting lineup could help Cade and Ivey develop more.