Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

18 minutes ago, winitall said:

I’ll defer to you, but any chance we could see Bojan start over Bagley?  Obviously that hurts the second team shooting quite a bit, but I think that starting lineup could help Cade and Ivey develop more. 

it's definitely possible and i'm already seeing a lot of people online lean that way. i'm just of the opinion that 1) they didn't pay bagley what they did for him to come off the bench 2) they genuinely want to see if stewart can play the 4 and with bojan starting he's stuck at the 5 on both ends. and the second point also creates problems for cade not having a lob threat in the starting lineup, which after seeing him post-bagley trade, i'd hope they'd try to do pretty consistently, and also essentially prevents them from playing two bigs because bagley and noel/duren is a horrible fit

so really there's still a ton of uncertainty

I wonder if we slow play it with Ivey and start Burks for shooting? The expected starting lineup of Cade, Ivey, Bey, Stew, Bags leaves a lot to be desired from 3. Obviously things could change in a big way if Bey, Cade, or Stew, or fingers crossed all three, start shooting it better from deep. That projected bench of Burks, Bojan, and Livers flanking Killian is exciting. I'm a lot happier with the Pistons after this trade. That's for sure. 

On 9/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if we slow play it with Ivey and start Burks for shooting? The expected starting lineup of Cade, Ivey, Bey, Stew, Bags leaves a lot to be desired from 3. Obviously things could change in a big way if Bey, Cade, or Stew, or fingers crossed all three, start shooting it better from deep. That projected bench of Burks, Bojan, and Livers flanking Killian is exciting. I'm a lot happier with the Pistons after this trade. That's for sure. 

they just announced burks will miss training camp so ivey probably has the other guard spot locked up unless killian is suddenly the best player on the team

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the biggest issue with the roster right now is that the only way to get everything you expect from a good starting five (shooting, athleticism, defense, size, switchability, vertical spacing etc.) on the floor at the same time is if they start duren at center and we all know that's not happening for a while

also kinda weird we heard so much about stew playing the 4 with another big and they exclusively played him with a small group and brought duren and bagley in together

• Like 1

16 hours ago, catcheryea said:

the biggest issue with the roster right now is that the only way to get everything you expect from a good starting five (shooting, athleticism, defense, size, switchability, vertical spacing etc.) on the floor at the same time is if they start duren at center and we all know that's not happening for a while

also kinda weird we heard so much about stew playing the 4 with another big and they exclusively played him with a small group and brought duren and bagley in together

Duren definitely didn't look far off from where he needs to be as an NBA player. He looked like he belonged. I thought he looked good staying in front of guards. I'd love to see some Stew at the 4 and Duren at the 5 eventually. 

On 10/4/2022 at 11:36 PM, catcheryea said:

I am not sure the first preseason game is indicative of our expected lineups or rotation.  Guessing we were trying to get some combos a chance together to see it before it means something. 

I didn't get to watch much of it, so for those who did, what did you think of the play of Cade, Ivey, Hayes, and Duren?  Obviously the score and outcome was bad but not sure who was playing with who and if anyone looked better or worse than their box score?  Based on the box score Cade, Bey and Stewart had rough outings (cant play 22 mins at C and have 1 rebound).  Livers, Duren and Ivey looked to be solid as well as Bogdan.  

37 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not sure the first preseason game is indicative of our expected lineups or rotation.  Guessing we were trying to get some combos a chance together to see it before it means something. 

I didn't get to watch much of it, so for those who did, what did you think of the play of Cade, Ivey, Hayes, and Duren?  Obviously the score and outcome was bad but not sure who was playing with who and if anyone looked better or worse than their box score?  Based on the box score Cade, Bey and Stewart had rough outings (cant play 22 mins at C and have 1 rebound).  Livers, Duren and Ivey looked to be solid as well as Bogdan.  

cade was bad but the whole starting group seemed pretty disjointed collectively on both ends. ivey did the things we knew he could do and hit the only 3 he took, but he's gonna need a lot of work on defense. killian was aggressive at the very least, but i'm still not entirely sold he's gonna put the ball in the basket often enough. i'd like to see him get all the way to the basket more instead of settling for floaters and pullups but he was playing with two bigs the whole time and the spacing was terrible with that group from start to finish. duren's biggest highlight was switching onto guards a few times and holding his own, but he didn't do much else outside of rebounding. he was hardly involved in the offense at all and he dropped an easy fastbreak dunk. definitely more good than bad from those guys except cade

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And Saddiq. He was also pretty bad. Bad defense, bad shooting. Not a great recipe for a 3 and D guy. 

yeah he might've been the worst player on the floor. he's still doing that thing where he drives into the paint with no plan and picks up his dribble and then has to be bailed out by somebody

On 9/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Even with the issues in the lineup, I am pretty happy with this move.  One it gets rid of Lee and Olynyk which clogged up our bench and then two it clears Olynyks salary next year.   Definitely fits better than the two pieces we sent out. 

Bojan is a straight baller, you guys are going to love him. 

• Like 1

if i had to pick one thing i'm not looking forward to the most this year it's switching your primary offensive initiators onto centers after every single soft screen and forcing them into foul trouble for no reason

ok i lied there's like 4 other things i remembered i hate about how this team is coached