Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

I'd kind of like to see a starting lineup of Cade - Bey - Bojan - Stew - Bags 

I know the sticking point is Bey at the 2, but honestly could he be worse than any of our other 2s? I'd honestly probably just keep Ivey out there for his development, though. I just wish we could have shooters and a big that could catch passes and finish lobs at the same time on the floor. Stew as our only big is a killer. I want him camping in the corner on offense.

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd kind of like to see a starting lineup of Cade - Bey - Bojan - Stew - Bags 

I know the sticking point is Bey at the 2, but honestly could he be worse than any of our other 2s? I'd honestly probably just keep Ivey out there for his development, though. I just wish we could have shooters and a big that could catch passes and finish lobs at the same time on the floor. Stew as our only big is a killer. I want him camping in the corner on offense.

ivey is definitely a better option just as someone else who can potentially run some half court sets to give cade a break, not to mention the transition opportunities. if you want bagley in the starting lineup the best option might be moving bogey to the bench. opens up shots for bey and you can put an actual shot creator and shooter on the floor with the bench. a bench lineup of [pg] - burks - livers - bogey - duren seems like it checks a lot of boxes. bogey can still get his 30ish minutes and close games so he's not giving up much individually

15 hours ago, catcheryea said:

ivey is definitely a better option just as someone else who can potentially run some half court sets to give cade a break, not to mention the transition opportunities. if you want bagley in the starting lineup the best option might be moving bogey to the bench. opens up shots for bey and you can put an actual shot creator and shooter on the floor with the bench. a bench lineup of [pg] - burks - livers - bogey - duren seems like it checks a lot of boxes. bogey can still get his 30ish minutes and close games so he's not giving up much individually

I’m just concerned Bojan won’t want to come off the bench after his scorching start.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m just concerned Bojan won’t want to come off the bench after his scorching start.

that's fair. especially with the extension now. i just don't think saddiq is good enough of a secondary creator to be that guy in the starting five, although i guess really that would be bogey. and i definitely don't think he can be the guy with the bench if nobody else any scoring gravity

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

that's fair. especially with the extension now. i just don't think saddiq is good enough of a secondary creator to be that guy in the starting five, although i guess really that would be bogey. and i definitely don't think he can be the guy with the bench if nobody else any scoring gravity

Maybe flip Saddiq to the bench? I just don’t see Cade playing at his current highest level without a vertical threat. I think staggering the minutes better would be a good start. That doesn’t involve messing with the staring lineup. 

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe flip Saddiq to the bench? I just don’t see Cade playing at his current highest level without a vertical threat. I think staggering the minutes better would be a good start. That doesn’t involve messing with the staring lineup. 

staggering cade and ivey a little would be a good start but i still think just making duren the starting center solves almost every problem that stewart doesn't. it creates a bunch of new problems and he's probably not mentally ready to start and finish games but at some point you have to do what you can to help everybody develop

honestly i'm not sure it really matters what they do if the top two guards off the bench are cory joseph and killian hayes. nobody is winning anything doing that

• Like 1

Cade's mid range game reminds me so much of veteran Chris Paul. He's so crafty when he gets his defender on his back, plus his jump shot from that range is wet. A 6'6 PG with defense, nasty mid range game, great ability to set up his teammates. Baby we've got ourselves a stew going, and I'm not talking about Isaiah. If Cade gets his 3% up, he's going to be an All NBA guy for a long time. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 3:04 PM, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Pistons pushed the limit with the Bucks last night and beat the GS Warriors just previously....Albeit GS was without Klay Thompson, but Detroit played a complete game....If it weren't for Lopez, the Pistons may have gotten by Milwaukee....Good looking core of young players....

That was a dud last night.  Cade was off and we struggled to move the ball.  17 points and 5 assists combined between Cade and Ivey isnt going to get it done.  I love some of the progress the last few games from Cade taking over as a lead scorer but still working on the consistency.  But yes, we do have some nice young pieces that should eventually help us get over the hump in the next couple of years.  

Very frustrating watching this team, you can see talent but they seem to be fighting the ball most of the time, half a step off, awkward passes and handles, rarely shooting with confidence. Cade has got so much talent but he's simply got to hit more shots to be a top level player.

Then there's the fact that their bench is God awful and they can't check a living soul. I'm still watching to see Cade, Ivey, Stew, Bey and Duren develop but it's a tough watch right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a few thoughts after last night now that stewart is officially out for at least a couple weeks

duren should be the starting center while stewart is out. and if they want to keep using the two big lineup, he should be the starting center over bagley when stew gets back. otherwise they're taking out the only good defender in the second worst defensive lineup in the league this year and replacing him with with maybe the worst pound for pound, inch for inch defender in the nba

depending on when he gets back, we could easily be a third of the way into the season before the whole team is healthy at the same time. i can't imagine there are too many teams that didn't have anybody undergo major offseason surgery that are in the same boat

looking at the schedule in november and december, there are maybe 7 games the pistons have a 50/50 shot at winning. if they win 4, their record on january 1st would be 7-32, which is somehow a little bit better than last year. i know that casey is never going to be fired, and he has one more year left on his contract, but how can anybody look at the way this team has played and progressed and want to give him another year. like just retire and kick your feet up in the front office dwane please

this doesn't actually bother me or matter for the team in any way but i can't believe noel just doesn't want to play, i don't think i've ever seen something like this

Likely losing Cade for the year is a tough blow.  It should help keep us at the top of the draft but really was hoping to watch him develop this year.  Adding in no Bey or Stewart the next few weeks and we will be lucky to win again before Christmas.  I think its time to just run Duren and Ivey out as much as possible and see what they can do and hope the experience helps speed their growth.  

Come trade deadline time I would fully expect to see Burks flipped and maybe Bojan.  Another throw away season for a Detroit team with promising young talent.  Feels like the Tigers all over again.