Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The thing that cleared my head about the Pistons was an article they did on DBB. They showed how few players on championship teams were actually drafted by that team. It's miniscule. These crap players, this glut of big men are going to be shipped off to bring in players that fit the team's vision. I agree that Casey needs to go and I feel like he will. 

I get that the support players typically are not drafted by a team, but the stars have been lately if you take Lebron and KD out of the picture.  Golden State and Boston are almost fully home grown, at least their top 3 or 4.  The Bucks have Giannis and other role players they drafted and Middleton may not have been drafted there but was developed there so is considered home grown to me.  The top teams in both divisions have stars and plenty of role players they drafted like Jokic, MPJ, Murray in Denver and Morant, JJJ, Bane and company in Memphis, the Sixers and Cavs have a bunch of homegrown talent.  We need to see some homegrown talent start the rise to being able to carry a team and its hard to do that when you have players that hinder their development around them. 

9 hours ago, catcheryea said:

I was watching Duren's highlights on youtube for this game. When I saw that move, my first thought was "dang, what a good move by Ivey." Then the camera pans to Duren's face and I was confused. Then I realized I was watching Duren highlights and not the game. I rewound the video and watched again only to see that it was Duren who pulled off that move. He's definitely got potential for days. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sounds like he is moving to the front office.  That’s better but hope he doesn’t have too much say in things going forward. 

i feel like it's either a. dwane we like you and we appreciate you not complaining about coaching this ****ty team for 4 years, so stick around for a year and we'll pay out some or all of the last year of your deal before you retire for real

or b. if it's not that and they really want him to work, they can't afford for him to be injecting himself in lineup or any major coaching decisions. this hire is probably a make or break thing for weaver and if he and casey are backseat driving and they don't crack 30 wins in the next couple years, gores will eventually get fed up that he's thrown 6 years down the drain and clean house

11 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i feel like it's either a. dwane we like you and we appreciate you not complaining about coaching this ****ty team for 4 years, so stick around for a year and we'll pay out some or all of the last year of your deal before you retire for real

or b. if it's not that and they really want him to work, they can't afford for him to be injecting himself in lineup or any major coaching decisions. this hire is probably a make or break thing for weaver and if he and casey are backseat driving and they don't crack 30 wins in the next couple years, gores will eventually get fed up that he's thrown 6 years down the drain and clean house

I think whoever comes in needs to win games next year.  Maybe not jump into the playoff hunt but they need to add a couple pieces that fit and then bringing cade back into the mix, should be a 25-30 win team at least.  If we get lucky enough to land Webby, then it will only push up the expectations.  Orlando won 34 games this year and with Cade back and another top 4 pick, we have a more talented crop of youth IMO.  So we should be on that track next year and then depending on player development, competing for playoffs in two years.  This is definitely an important hire and should be Weavers make or break point since if this fails, it means he failed all around.    

39 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder who the next cellar dweller in the East will be? Orlando moved out this year. Hopefully we join them next year. The Hornets are bad, but they're usually not worst of the worst bad. 

Washington is the top contender IMO if we can ever get out of the basement.  Toronto and Chicago may make some moves to re-set things too and if so they could drop.  I can see it being more like the West though with teams 5-12 being within a few games of each other and lower win totals at the top.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

based off how i’m choosing to interpret one quote about never having too many playmakers, i can conclude that troy is a scoot guy

I hope we just get the #1 pick and don't have to worry about it at all. I like Miller more than Scoot, but I would understand the Scoot pick just because of how bad the team is. 

33 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope we just get the #1 pick and don't have to worry about it at all. I like Miller more than Scoot, but I would understand the Scoot pick just because of how bad the team is. 

after essentially having one person on the roster each of the last two years who could create for himself and for others (and both being rookies) i would be ecstatic to be able to play at least two of cade, ivey, and scoot at all times

30 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

after essentially having one person on the roster each of the last two years who could create for himself and for others (and both being rookies) i would be ecstatic to be able to play at least two of cade, ivey, and scoot at all times

Oh yeah, no doubt. I just don't necessarily think all three are a good fit long term. Cade could probably play kind of a point forward position which might be cool. He'd be more like a SF/PG combo as opposed to the PF/PG thing one normally sees. But I'm all about asset hoarding. Taking 3 guards did wonders for the Kangs eventually. 

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Oh yeah, no doubt. I just don't necessarily think all three are a good fit long term. Cade could probably play kind of a point forward position which might be cool. He'd be more like a SF/PG combo as opposed to the PF/PG thing one normally sees. But I'm all about asset hoarding. Taking 3 guards did wonders for the Kangs eventually. 

I feel like Miller's skillset is way more scarce on your team than Scoot, who seems seems similar to Ivey as an ultra athletic penetrator with a shaky jumpshot. When was the last time you had two-way wing...Tayshaun Prince?

Edited by redsoxsuck05