Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

21 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

need cade to fix his shot and hope that he can become the star that he was in college and continue to see growth from ivey. and then duren's ceiling could be anything. if they hit their celings i still think that trio is better than what most of the other rebuilding teams have

falling to 5 sucks because i just watched 65 games of killian hayes as a starting pg but really it was 1 or bust. if you get 2 or 3 maybe you could trade back but the 3-10 range has a ton of guys that either have huge upside or could fit anywhere between really well or perfect on this roster

as long as troy doesn't decide (he will) that he's trading the pick for some middling forward so they can try to win 32 games, a thompson twin, whitmore, walker, or hendricks will be in the starting 5 next year

the actual worst part of the lottery is that we have to watch wiseman and bagley play big minutes next year

If we got Wemby, could see Monty wanting to come here. Now? I don't see it.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Whitmore or Hendricks on the team. Even if we bring in a vet wing, we're going to stink. May as well grab another high upside lottery guy and hope for development. Duren, Whitmore/Hendricks, and Ivey all together on a court is some serious athleticism and explosion. Having Cade there to pull the strings will be pretty cool too. 

I know he's been talked about a lot, but I wonder if Jerami Grant would be interested in coming back. He seemed to have a good relationship with the team and he's plays a position of massive need. Adding Grant back and a healthy Cade, along with a potential guy like Hendricks or Whitmore would be a massive improvement. I know I'm more of an outsider than a lot of you. I barely watch games so I didn't have to suffer as much as you all did, but I think the future is bright with Cade. And hopefully we'll only have to suffer Killian playing 10 minutes a game, or better yet not on the team entirely. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know he's been talked about a lot, but I wonder if Jerami Grant would be interested in coming back. He seemed to have a good relationship with the team and he's plays a position of massive need. Adding Grant back and a healthy Cade, along with a potential guy like Hendricks or Whitmore would be a massive improvement. I know I'm more of an outsider than a lot of you. I barely watch games so I didn't have to suffer as much as you all did, but I think the future is bright with Cade. And hopefully we'll only have to suffer Killian playing 10 minutes a game, or better yet not on the team entirely. 

He's definitely someone I'd be interested in, that is if we don't use the cap space to absorb a salary dump in order to get a pick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, General Tso said:

He's definitely someone I'd be interested in, that is if we don't use the cap space to absorb a salary dump in order to get a pick.

I don't think it's crazy to think that a starting 5 of Cade, Ivey, Bogey, Grant, Duren could get us sniffing a play-in spot. Stew, Wise/Bags(hopefully not both), Burks, #5 pick, Livers, CoJo coming off the bench. That's a vast improvement over the garbage we've been trotting out the last couple years. 

i'm coping so forgive me. weaver said they need wing defenders (great job troy) and if they can shoot that's a plus

ausar, walker, and hendricks might be 3 of the 5 best defenders in the draft

hendricks is by far, like far, far, the best shooter of those 3

the choice is easy troy

i also don't understand what the goal of this offseason is now. they kept bogey and burks around so they could try to win next year presumably. they might consider trading the pick for a veteran wing, again, so they can win next year. but weaver desperately wants to hire a guy who hasn't coached in 5 years and has literally never coached anything in any capacity in the nba

a guy who was so bad at his last job that his alma mater decided to absolutely incinerate the bridge and lie about him committing violations so that he would have to sue them to receive his payout

Edited by catcheryea

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

i also don't understand what the goal of this offseason is now. they kept bogey and burks around so they could try to win next year presumably. they might consider trading the pick for a veteran wing, again, so they can win next year. but weaver desperately wants to hire a guy who hasn't coached in 5 years and has literally never coached anything in any capacity in the nba

a guy who was so bad at his last job that his alma mater decided to absolutely incinerate the bridge and lie about him committing violations so that he would have to sue them to receive his payout

I'm falling to my knees

30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think it's crazy to think that a starting 5 of Cade, Ivey, Bogey, Grant, Duren could get us sniffing a play-in spot. Stew, Wise/Bags(hopefully not both), Burks, #5 pick, Livers, CoJo coming off the bench. That's a vast improvement over the garbage we've been trotting out the last couple years. 

We definitely need to move some big men this offseason.  Problem is it may require a net loss to move them.  I don't love Bogey and Grant but they would likely improve the team.  I just dont think it improves enough to get me excited.  We do need the veteran support but just not sure I love that lineup. 

I would like to see us make a move for Porzingas.  He would fit nicely with Duran and he is the extremely poor mans version of what we wanted in Wemby but would improve our defense and offensive spacing.    We would have to make some other moves to make it work but be one of the better, semi-realistic options IMO.  Although I assume not much changes other than drafting someone and running it back with our crap team + Cade. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We definitely need to move some big men this offseason.  Problem is it may require a net loss to move them.  I don't love Bogey and Grant but they would likely improve the team.  I just dont think it improves enough to get me excited.  We do need the veteran support but just not sure I love that lineup. 

I would like to see us make a move for Porzingas.  He would fit nicely with Duran and he is the extremely poor mans version of what we wanted in Wemby but would improve our defense and offensive spacing.    We would have to make some other moves to make it work but be one of the better, semi-realistic options IMO.  Although I assume not much changes other than drafting someone and running it back with our crap team + Cade. 

I think adding Cade and subtracting Killian(and all those other atrocious players) will actually raise this team up quite a bit. I think the key to a good team is not having net negative players. Even average players replacing the net negatives raises the team up a bunch. If Cade, Ivey, and Duren, grow and we ditch the extreme negatives, we'll double our wins next year. I could be completely wrong too. I just like talking about it. 

1 minute ago, catcheryea said:

giphy.gif

Ideally CoJo would be the 4th guard on the team(and even more ideally, he wouldn't be on the team at all). I think we could do a whole lot worse than CoJo as the 4th guard. Granted, I realize I put CoJo on there as the #3. I was just looking at our depth chart for semi-playable guys. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Ideally CoJo would be the 4th guard on the team(and even more ideally, he wouldn't be on the team at all). I think we could do a whole lot worse than CoJo as the 4th guard. Granted, I realize I put CoJo on there as the #3. I was just looking at our depth chart for semi-playable guys. 

ideally he's in turkey next year and i never have to hear his name again and i can forget that he spent 2 and a half years here

26 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wiseman is on an expiring rookie deal, so there is value in that contract. Bagley's number would be good for salary matching if we needed to do something. 

I'm on the "take on a bad contract to acquire assets" train.