Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

If we could swing another lotto pick by taking on salary, who would you guys be looking at? I saw on the other thread about getting #10 from Dallas. What guys do you think will be in play at 10? The Ringer has Jarace going at 10. It'd be crazy to get one of Hendricks or Whitmore at 5, then get Walker at 10. I think there would be a lot of fans who would be ok with Walker at 5, so getting him at 10 would at least look pretty cool. 

43 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we could swing another lotto pick by taking on salary, who would you guys be looking at? I saw on the other thread about getting #10 from Dallas. What guys do you think will be in play at 10? The Ringer has Jarace going at 10. It'd be crazy to get one of Hendricks or Whitmore at 5, then get Walker at 10. I think there would be a lot of fans who would be ok with Walker at 5, so getting him at 10 would at least look pretty cool. 

Getting Walker and Hendricks would be ideal.  The more lotto tickets the better tbh.  We still would need to move some guys in order to have roster space and fit but I'd be all for adding those two and seeing how the team grows.  Still wouldn't expect the playoffs but would be better with those two and Cade back.

I think it is a long shot to get both however but I think if we can get two of Walker, Hendricks, Whitmore, either Thompson, Grady D!(k would be great.  Thats only 9 players though so someone else would have to jump into the top 10.  I think if they were all gone, guys like Leonard Miller, Dariq Whitehead, Jett Howard, Jalen Hood-Schifino, and Jordan Hawkins would be in play.  I might even take a chance on GG Jackson like we did Duren. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd want a pick, but probably a future one so we can package that for a player if needed. I think adding #5 to the roster is already enough young players.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

i don't think walker falls that far and you'd have to get super weird (but potentially super fun) to make him and hedricks work together. but there's no way they start camp with 6 4s/5s and the only two guys weaver would consider trading are both huge negative assets

to answer the question though, any way you can fill out the wings works. whether it's ausar/hendricks, walker/ausar, hendricks/****, whitmore/leonard miller

i just watched the episode of 30 rock where they're trying to get one specific actor hired so they have him audition with three terrible actors to make him seem even better and it feels like that's what weaver was trying to do with kevin ollie. except he didn't realize that the coach he wanted gores to pick was also the one who makes the other guys look better

so now it's a situation where gores met all three guys, came away wholly unimpressed with all them, vetoed them to some extent, monty said no thank you, and two weeks later they still haven't brought in anyone else for interviews and weaver is once again trying to convince him ollie is the guy

29 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i just watched the episode of 30 rock where they're trying to get one specific actor hired so they have him audition with three terrible actors to make him seem even better and it feels like that's what weaver was trying to do with kevin ollie. except he didn't realize that the coach he wanted gores to pick was also the one who makes the other guys look better

so now it's a situation where gores met all three guys, came away wholly unimpressed with all them, vetoed them to some extent, monty said no thank you, and two weeks later they still haven't brought in anyone else for interviews and weaver is once again trying to convince him ollie is the guy

Personally I want someone from the Heat, Chris Quinn?

On 5/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, catcheryea said:

i'm thinking there's like a 2% chance gores refuses to let weaver hire ollie and at the same time weaver refuses to hire anyone but ollie, so they just bring casey back and figure out where they stand next summer

This is a stupidly obvious take on that scenario, but man would that be dysfunctional. What a nightmare situation. 

11 hours ago, catcheryea said:

FxgWdGFXwAAVxxx?format=jpg&name=medium

the title of the documentary about the 2028 championship* team

*or one singular playoff win, whichever comes first

I really like Monty but interesting that he is the highest paid coach by a decent margin now.  I'm guessing some guys are about to get raises.  I hope its worth it. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I really like Monty but interesting that he is the highest paid coach by a decent margin now.  I'm guessing some guys are about to get raises.  I hope its worth it. 

at least it's not a bagley situation where overpaying actually inhibits your ability to build the rest of your team. as long as gores is fine with shelling out the money, which to his credit he always has been, his contract doesn't really matter

i just hope hiring an established head coach isn't gores' way of saying "this rebuild has taken long enough, we're winning 33 games next year." i don't know if these were intel or just speculation, but some of the names i've seen thrown around about possibly being acquired for #5 are absolutely horrifying. just make the pick, let the young guys figure it out (cade, ivey, and duren played 28 total minutes together last year), throw a moderately sized bag at cam johnson, and see where that takes you

• Like 1