Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

2 hours ago, catcheryea said:

at least it's not a bagley situation where overpaying actually inhibits your ability to build the rest of your team. as long as gores is fine with shelling out the money, which to his credit he always has been, his contract doesn't really matter

i just hope hiring an established head coach isn't gores' way of saying "this rebuild has taken long enough, we're winning 33 games next year." i don't know if these were intel or just speculation, but some of the names i've seen thrown around about possibly being acquired for #5 are absolutely horrifying. just make the pick, let the young guys figure it out (cade, ivey, and duren played 28 total minutes together last year), throw a moderately sized bag at cam johnson, and see where that takes you

Agreed on all fronts.  I wouldnt mind dropping down some in the draft but not sure I want to send the pick for a vet just to get a jump on the rebuild.  I agree Cam would be very solid on this team and would allow someone like Whitmore or Thompson to develop without having to be a main focal point.  I assume it would have to be a sign and trade type deal though given he is an RFA and would have to want out.  

Who else have you hear as a candidate for pick 5 on the trade market?  I wouldn't mind making a move for Porzingas if it involves Wiseman/Bagley and Bogey but not sure I'd give up pick 5 with it.  They talked on the radio about Jaylen Brown but not sure I'd want give up the picks and contract it would require along with maybe Ivey.    

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed on all fronts.  I wouldnt mind dropping down some in the draft but not sure I want to send the pick for a vet just to get a jump on the rebuild.  I agree Cam would be very solid on this team and would allow someone like Whitmore or Thompson to develop without having to be a main focal point.  I assume it would have to be a sign and trade type deal though given he is an RFA and would have to want out.  

Who else have you hear as a candidate for pick 5 on the trade market?  I wouldn't mind making a move for Porzingas if it involves Wiseman/Bagley and Bogey but not sure I'd give up pick 5 with it.  They talked on the radio about Jaylen Brown but not sure I'd want give up the picks and contract it would require along with maybe Ivey.    

you're aiming waaaaay too high. i've said before porzingis is a nice fit and was legitimately really ******* good last year and i think he's a ufa, but how healthy can he stay is his major question. brown is the type of move that isn't terrible on paper but definitely a win immediately move and yeah i'd rather just keep ivey and the little future draft assets we have than pay brown $60 million a year. i'm not touching cade, ivey, or duren, and maybe whoever the pick ends up being until at least next summer most likely

i've forgotten a few of them, but the ones i remember seeing are herb jones (just draft ausar), rj barrett (i'm not paying him 9 figures), deandre hunter (slightly better but constantly hurt saddiq?), and tobias harris (i mean, come on, really?)

hopefully troy just makes logical roster moves and monty has too much self respect to get bullied into rotation decisions and they can finally put out some lineups that make sense for everybody

3 hours ago, catcheryea said:

you're aiming waaaaay too high. i've said before porzingis is a nice fit and was legitimately really ******* good last year and i think he's a ufa, but how healthy can he stay is his major question. brown is the type of move that isn't terrible on paper but definitely a win immediately move and yeah i'd rather just keep ivey and the little future draft assets we have than pay brown $60 million a year. i'm not touching cade, ivey, or duren, and maybe whoever the pick ends up being until at least next summer most likely

i've forgotten a few of them, but the ones i remember seeing are herb jones (just draft ausar), rj barrett (i'm not paying him 9 figures), deandre hunter (slightly better but constantly hurt saddiq?), and tobias harris (i mean, come on, really?)

hopefully troy just makes logical roster moves and monty has too much self respect to get bullied into rotation decisions and they can finally put out some lineups that make sense for everybody

I'm not opposed to Tobias Harris if it's just a pure salary dump move for Philly. He's on an expiring and they have no assets to improve the team, so if they want to just dump on him on us for some matching salary like Burks, we can absorb his salary.

49 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I'm not opposed to Tobias Harris if it's just a pure salary dump move for Philly. He's on an expiring and they have no assets to improve the team, so if they want to just dump on him on us for some matching salary like Burks, we can absorb his salary.

burks is way more useful of a player for our roster than harris is for 1/3 of the cost. if they're not giving back any useful assets, why would you want to willingly take on $40 million of salary for 1 year?

i'm serious about this, if burks can teach cade how to draw fouls i would keep him on the team until he retires as a thank you

6 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

burks is way more useful of a player for our roster than harris is for 1/3 of the cost. if they're not giving back any useful assets, why would you want to willingly take on $40 million of salary for 1 year?

i'm serious about this, if burks can teach cade how to draw fouls i would keep him on the team until he retires as a thank you

Mostly because we need a wing, you can make the decision to resign Harris during the season or you flip him by the deadline

It's not my first trade I would make, and ideally you somehow get a 3rd team involved that could give a 1st and we ship off Burks + Bogi.

15 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Mostly because we need a wing, you can make the decision to resign Harris during the season or you flip him by the deadline

It's not my first trade I would make, and ideally you somehow get a 3rd team involved that could give a 1st and we ship off Burks + Bogi.

i just think both of those guys are more helpful than harris would be. both are legitimate floor spacers, burks is a low usage guy who fits incredibly well next to both cade and ivey, and bojan is obviously one of the best shooters in the league. if they can find some defense and athleticism at the other forward spot and bojan isn't asked to be the primary creator, he's a really useful piece and he might just straight up be better than harris

9 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i just think both of those guys are more helpful than harris would be. both are legitimate floor spacers, burks is a low usage guy who fits incredibly well next to both cade and ivey, and bojan is obviously one of the best shooters in the league. if they can find some defense and athleticism at the other forward spot and bojan isn't asked to be the primary creator, he's a really useful piece and he might just straight up be better than harris

I'd send Wiseman and Bagley for Harris and a future pick.  Harris fits better with Duren at least this year and could be a solid deadline option to move.  

14 hours ago, catcheryea said:

I definitely dont want Brown for the cost, just was something being discussed on 97.1 if he is made available. Porzingas has a player option, but even if he opts out we would likely need a S&T to get him here and would need to move one or two of our bigs to make room for him.  The guys you mentioned are absolute no's for me as well.  None are even remotely close to the 5th pick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We brought in Silas as an assistant. The weird online Rockets/Pistons rivalry will co to use it seems. 

I think Silas is a good hire. He’s a quality assistant. 

That's his lane.  He will never be a good head coach.  He is a pretty good assistant HC.

• Like 1

What about Anthony Black at 5? He’s a reach, but I think he could be a decent pick. I’m personally a Whitmore guy, mostly because I just like watching big nasty dunks and I also don’t know what I’m talking about really. Black is the same height as Whitmore and seems like a smarter player, not as athletic, but much better feel. 3 guard lineup with Cade- Ivey- AB? Could be interesting. His selection could finally push Killian off the roster too which is alright. 

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What about Anthony Black at 5? He’s a reach, but I think he could be a decent pick. I’m personally a Whitmore guy, mostly because I just like watching big nasty dunks and I also don’t know what I’m talking about really. Black is the same height as Whitmore and seems like a smarter player, not as athletic, but much better feel. 3 guard lineup with Cade- Ivey- AB? Could be interesting. His selection could finally push Killian off the roster too which is alright. 

Mmmm I like Black as a player, but he doesn’t fit. Like Ivey and Cunningham tk an extent, he needs the ball to be effective offensively. He is a superstar defender, but would be a clunky fit next to Cade and Ivey.

Detroit’s needs are weird & don’t fit this draft class. I think they need a big 3/stretch 4. Taylor Hendricks might be the closest thing to that. I actually like his fit with Detroit a lot. 

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Mmmm I like Black as a player, but he doesn’t fit. Like Ivey and Cunningham tk an extent, he needs the ball to be effective offensively. He is a superstar defender, but would be a clunky fit next to Cade and Ivey.

Detroit’s needs are weird & don’t fit this draft class. I think they need a big 3/stretch 4. Taylor Hendricks might be the closest thing to that. I actually like his fit with Detroit a lot. 

I think Hendricks, Ausar, and Whitmore are the best fits. I figured I’d toss another name in there, though. Maybe Black fits in with this weird obsession with playing two bigs the Pistons have? Duran and Stew(or Wiseman/Bagley) in the front court with 3 guards in the back. Two of those three guards in that scenario would be big guards too. Black‘s probably not a good enough shooter for that, and neither are Cade and Ivey. Either way, I just wanted to get some discussion going. I’m dying with bad baseball, only OTAs, and the NBA draft still a couple days away.