Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I haven't paid super close attention, but why?  I would like to see Sekou and the rookies get more minutes but other than that we are doing what we should which is lose close games.  

the average age of the starters last night was 29.6. i'm not even a fan of josh jackson and i know he played more than wayne ellington but why do we need to watch a 33 year old career 9th man at all? jahlil okafor does nothing better than isaiah stewart except score inefficiently. sekou has played 10 minutes total over the last 3 games. and last night down 20 with 3 minutes left, casey kept 4 starters in. what do those guys need to show in that situation? there's a difference between playing young guys, watching them try to figure it out even if they can't and losing close games, and playing veterans most of the way just so a loss looks closer than it actually was. casey is 100% prioritizing auditioning for his next job over anything else.

maybe worse than the rotations, the offense is eye gouge inducing. there aren't any sets to get guys open looks or favorable matchups. its all just dribble handoffs, a roulette of empty drive and kicks, some action where a big tries to initiate from the high post but nothing ever develops out of it, and the all too often blake, or even worse, mason plumlee post up. there's no off ball movement aside from the guy who might be taking a handoff. most times there are two guys just standing in the corner for whole possessions doing nothing. it feels like watching houston without the spacing, spacing, shooting ability, or iso scoring ability. there was a possession in the suns game i think where rose walked the ball up the court, which used 6 seconds of the shot clock, and then he just stood at the wing for 8 seconds trying to make an entry pass for an okafor post up, who turned it over on the catch. then at the end of the game needing a score to tie it, casey drew up a plumlee post up. jerami grant has fallen in love with contested mid range jumpers to the point that he's taking the 12th most shots per game in the nba, coming in at 76th in efg% and 80th in ts% (both of those numbers are the best on the team).

18 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

the average age of the starters last night was 29.6. i'm not even a fan of josh jackson and i know he played more than wayne ellington but why do we need to watch a 33 year old career 9th man at all? jahlil okafor does nothing better than isaiah stewart except score inefficiently. sekou has played 10 minutes total over the last 3 games. and last night down 20 with 3 minutes left, casey kept 4 starters in. what do those guys need to show in that situation? there's a difference between playing young guys, watching them try to figure it out even if they can't and losing close games, and playing veterans most of the way just so a loss looks closer than it actually was. casey is 100% prioritizing auditioning for his next job over anything else.

maybe worse than the rotations, the offense is eye gouge inducing. there aren't any sets to get guys open looks or favorable matchups. its all just dribble handoffs, a roulette of empty drive and kicks, some action where a big tries to initiate from the high post but nothing ever develops out of it, and the all too often blake, or even worse, mason plumlee post up. there's no off ball movement aside from the guy who might be taking a handoff. most times there are two guys just standing in the corner for whole possessions doing nothing. it feels like watching houston without the spacing, spacing, shooting ability, or iso scoring ability. there was a possession in the suns game i think where rose walked the ball up the court, which used 6 seconds of the shot clock, and then he just stood at the wing for 8 seconds trying to make an entry pass for an okafor post up, who turned it over on the catch. then at the end of the game needing a score to tie it, casey drew up a plumlee post up. jerami grant has fallen in love with contested mid range jumpers to the point that he's taking the 12th most shots per game in the nba, coming in at 76th in efg% and 80th in ts% (both of those numbers are the best on the team).

Thanks for the updates.  I just have a hard time watching them because I don't really like or care about any players on the team.  If the youth was getting minutes, I'd probably try to watch a little more but as you said, Sekou is not playing. 

Grant was a head scratcher signing because of the youth he would steal minutes from but then on top of that, his choice to come to a perennial loser to be able to take more shots is a bad sign opposed to taking similar money on a contender in Denver.  I mean its good if you can lure a star here but a guy who should be the 4th best player on a winning team at best just doesnt get me excited.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, catcheryea said:

fire dwane casey

I just don't get not playing Sekou.  He is trying to let Hayes learn on the court and won't do the same for Sekou.  We are going to end up getting the 6th pick this year given our lottery luck and the fact we keep winning meaningless games. 

• Like 1