Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I just don't get not playing Sekou.  He is trying to let Hayes learn on the court and won't do the same for Sekou.  We are going to end up getting the 6th pick this year given our lottery luck and the fact we keep winning meaningless games. 

i was ecstatic when delon wright got traded until i remembered that cory joseph also played for casey in toronto which means he'll get about 24 minutes a night

i hate this team more than last year's before the drummond trade

• 3 months later...

@catcheryea So what are you desires for this offseason?  Wanting Cade for sure or any interest in Green/moving down to get Green?  Any free agents you in particular want to see brought in?  I know half the team you want to see sent out but any actual ideas for who may want them?  Any trades that you would like to see sending Grant away? 

i'm absolutely drafting cade first and if whoever gets green wants him badly enough i'm setting the price at 2 unprotected 1sts. cory joseph has to be cut to avoid paying him an extra $10 million and josh jackson absolutely needs to not be on this team next year. he's way too ****ty of a teammate for as bad as he is to be around the young guys for another year. who knows what someone is gonna offer diallo put i like him so i'd be willing spend some money on him if the price is right

other than that i don't have any thoughts really. i don't think there are any free agents that are that interesting or a good fit positionally and for the timeline of the franchise. saben lee had some nice moments so i'd probably bring him back for cheap and maybe frank jackson. we don't need to hold onto ellington for another year hoping someone throws away a first rounder for him at the deadline. i would love to dump plumlee for an expiring at some point during the season so stewart can get more minutes and also because i hate that he knows he's the second most bulletproof player on the team for no reason

the only thing i want from next year is for the young players to play a lot, stay healthy, and start to figure out to win. anyone who interferes with that is on my ****list. even guys like okafor and mcgruder don't really bother me that much because they should only be end of the bench guys, although i don't trust casey at all

as for grant, i would've been more than happy with a couple 1sts last year just because he takes a lot of bad mid range jumpers but i understand he was really the only guy who could create his own shot for most of the year. we'll see how the team works with whoever the draft pick is and if that affects his game at all but i still mostly feel the same way and i don't doubt a fake contender would be willing to give up a couple picks for a guy who can score 20 a night

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, catcheryea said:

it's pretty incredible all 4 first round picks from the last 2 draft missed time with ankle injuries this offseason/preseason/regular season

They can all sit out for as long as they want.  Get healed up and let us lose some games since I figure we will step it up later in the year. 

Through 2 games, both against the Bulls, we have looked rough, which is expected but some positives and negatives.  

Bad:

Killian Hayes has been brutal this year.  His O rating through two games is 37, lol.  He is shooting a stunning 9% from the field, 0% from 3, and hasn't got to the free throw line in 40 minutes as the lead ball handler.  I know its early, but this is worse than Sekou was.  Cade coming back will likely mean less minutes for Hayes unless he somehow magically turns things around. 

Good:

Saddiq Bey has been playing quite well.  Proving to be a very good rebounder as well as scoring more efficiently than last year. 

Stewart has been decent rebounding the ball but is not a scoring threat.  He is efficient, but just doesnt take many shots.  He is undersized and probablu not a key piece to the future but could be a very solid role player for this team.  

Actually getting a little out of Luka Garza.  I didn't think he could play at this level, even the 6 minutes a game he has.  He was +10 in 6 minutes in game 2 with a couple steals and rebounds.  He is a hard worker and hoping he can develop too into a role player.  I wish we would just dump Olynik now and let him have a chance with minutes but I know we aren't technically "tanking", we just have a really bad roster and won't win much naturally. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 12:55 PM, catcheryea said:

this sums up pretty well how bad saddiq has been this year. his on off numbers are even wilder than i thought 

Do you think this is because he's trying to do more than he's able? I haven't watched many games but I've heard that he's trying to playmake/facilitate a little more this year. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do you think this is because he's trying to do more than he's able? I haven't watched many games but I've heard that he's trying to playmake/facilitate a little more this year. 

some of this might be in the post but i can't remember and don't feel like reading it again

he's definitely trying to do more than he's capable of right now but it's definitely not because he's been facilitating more. maybe this is all because he can't buy an open jumper and he's pressing more, but he's become a tremendous ball stopper. a few times a game he'll tunnel vision iso for entire possessions until he either takes a bad contested shot or gets stopped in the lane and is stuck pivoting until someone gets open to bail him out. against the lakers in la the pistons cut the lead from 20ish to 4 or 6 and he took the rebound after a stop, brought it up himself and took a contested turnaround with about 16 seconds left on the shot clock. he's also not a good passer and doesn't have good vision so he really can't create for anyone else either

basically he's just not a good offensive basketball player if his shot's not falling and he doesn't really give you much defense either. i get that he has to figure out his limitations but if he could do it slightly less selfishly it'd be nice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we stink pretty bad. I am hopeful the team will be a little more competitive when Olynyk comes back. With KO back I see us as similar to last seasons team. We'll lose plenty but I don't think we'll be seeing as many blowouts as we have without him. He's the only big that has even the tiniest bit of P&R offense. I think Grant being out with help the young guys, especially Cade.  We're in for a rough couple of weeks with Grant and KO out though. It might be a blessing as we'll bank some losses for lottery positioning. I do think we'll sneak some wins when we get Olynyk back. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cade - Saddiq - Grant - Jabari Smith - Stew

Could that lineup work as the everyday starting lineup? I think Saddiq would need to improve his quickness to handle defending smaller players, but that's a ton of length to make up for it behind him. It looks to me like a very modern NBA team. Killian could also come off the bench to improve the on ball defense if we go small with Grant and Jabari at the 5. Jabari is my guy if we manage a top 3 pick. I think the top 4 prospects are so closely rated that a team could actually draft for fit. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Cade - Saddiq - Grant - Jabari Smith - Stew

Could that lineup work as the everyday starting lineup? I think Saddiq would need to improve his quickness to handle defending smaller players, but that's a ton of length to make up for it behind him. It looks to me like a very modern NBA team. Killian could also come off the bench to improve the on ball defense if we go small with Grant and Jabari at the 5. Jabari is my guy if we manage a top 3 pick. I think the top 4 prospects are so closely rated that a team could actually draft for fit. 

i don't think saddiq works as a 2, especially with this group, because he's still essentially a non creator off the dribble and that's also smith's biggest weakness. so outside of grant taking iso mid range jumpers and stewart getting put backs, you're still relying on cade to create 100% of the offense. casey also almost never has cade out there without a secondary handler. maybe that's just a this year thing but there are times it's nice to have someone else run the offense for a couple trips regardless of how dysfunctional it is

i've come around slightly on grant because he's done a pretty good job of accepting a smaller offensive role since cade came back from the hip injury but it's still the right thing to do to move him. if cade's an all star in year 3, grant will be 30 and in the first year of a 4 year, $100+ contract. he'd be a great piece for the roster if he were 6 years younger but the timelines just don't make sense

22 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i don't think saddiq works as a 2, especially with this group, because he's still essentially a non creator off the dribble and that's also smith's biggest weakness. so outside of grant taking iso mid range jumpers and stewart getting put backs, you're still relying on cade to create 100% of the offense. casey also almost never has cade out there without a secondary handler. maybe that's just a this year thing but there are times it's nice to have someone else run the offense for a couple trips regardless of how dysfunctional it is

i've come around slightly on grant because he's done a pretty good job of accepting a smaller offensive role since cade came back from the hip injury but it's still the right thing to do to move him. if cade's an all star in year 3, grant will be 30 and in the first year of a 4 year, $100+ contract. he'd be a great piece for the roster if he were 6 years younger but the timelines just don't make sense

📢 Take Jaden Ivey

27 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i don't think saddiq works as a 2, especially with this group, because he's still essentially a non creator off the dribble

He is making strides in this area, though. That's why I asked. I think he's going to develop into a secondary ball handler like Middleton.