New England post 2001 and the HOF.

Kiwibrown

Besides the obvious with Brady, Bellichek, Vinateri; Ty Law will get in. When Seymour was in his prime I always thought of him as a HOF player as well. McGinnest is a veterans committee type of player similar to when Dave Robinson got in the hall in 2013. Gronk just needs to stay healthy a few more years  

Moss and Seau but they did their best work with other teams (especially Seau)  

The Patriots have always thrived on a team approach without very many superstars. That's why it's difficult to single out many players for the HOF. 

Brady

Bellichek

Vinateri

Law

Seymour

Gronk

Moss

Seau

McGinnest (Veteren's Commitee)

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

No. Just no. Edelman is already past 30 and doesn't even have 5000 receiving yards. He's never been even close to sniffing the crown of being considered the best receiver in the NFL. He's a cog in the machine that is Brady/Belicheck. Just like Patten, Givens, and Brown were. The HOF is for dominant players. Edelman making a few plays here and there in the playoffs with maybe the best QB ever shouldn't warrant him consideration. That's a pretty terrible argument. That's like saying 49ers WR Mike Wilson should be in because he won 4 Super Bowls with Joe Montana. 

I was stating my position in the affirmative, I was toying with the idea of how Edleman could possibly get to the hall. He has done some HOF worthy things, a few very big plays here in there in the biggest game. 

If he got to 10,000 yards and 70 TD's he would walk in. But he won't.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I was stating my position in the affirmative, I was toying with the idea of how Edleman could possibly get to the hall. He has done some HOF worthy things, a few very big plays here in there in the biggest game. 

If he got to 10,000 yards and 70 TD's he would walk in. But he won't.

Ok. Sorry if my response was harsh. This isn't the first time this has idea has been thrown out in the open, and honestly it just irks me when I hear about. Like a Patriot fan's wet dream or something. I feel like due to the Brady/Belicheck winning machine a lot of players that have been around the team a while have been overrated. Kind of like how Matt Slater is always voted to the Pro Bowl.

If Edelman retired with those stats you pointed out he might have a chance. Walk in? Depends on the voters. Rod Smith has those numbers and more in addition to winning two rings. Yet his candidacy is never discussed. The Patriots media hype machine might sway him in with that scenario. Probably the reason why Hines Ward will be in, and Terrell Owens never get in.

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Ok. Sorry if my response was harsh. This isn't the first time this has idea has been thrown out in the open, and honestly it just irks me when I hear about. Like a Patriot fan's wet dream or something. I feel like due to the Brady/Belicheck winning machine a lot of players that have been around the team a while have been overrated. Kind of like how Matt Slater is always voted to the Pro Bowl.

If Edelman retired with those stats you pointed out he might have a chance. Walk in? Depends on the voters. Rod Smith has those numbers and more in addition to winning two rings. Yet his candidacy is never discussed. The Patriots media hype machine might sway him in with that scenario. Probably the reason why Hines Ward will be in, and Terrell Owens never get in.

9_9

Familiar with Matt Slater, are you?

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Not sure if this plays in at all in Rod Smith's HoF case as I was too young at the time to care what the NFL/news outlets were saying about it, but Smith was charged with third degree assault and harassment against his wife back in 2000 (right after his and Denver's peak). Not sure if he was ever convicted. At the least, Edelman will have that advantage on Smith.

P.S. Looking back on Smith's career, I definitely think he should be in the HoF.

6 hours ago, RedRider said:

Not sure if this plays in at all in Rod Smith's HoF case as I was too young at the time to care what the NFL/news outlets were saying about it, but Smith was charged with third degree assault and harassment against his wife back in 2000 (right after his and Denver's peak). Not sure if he was ever convicted. At the least, Edelman will have that advantage on Smith.

P.S. Looking back on Smith's career, I definitely think he should be in the HoF.

I guarantee you no one even remembers that.

On 8/9/2017 at 2:11 PM, Forge said:

He shouldn't be, and there's probably a good chunk of nostalgia and sentiment in his selection. Though I'd say that I think Swann was a much bigger "name" in the 70's than Edelman ever has been in his career and I think that's part of what sparks that. Nothing to back that up, just my own opinion.  Edelman has also played in a far different era, but I don't know how you compare that. Also, his selection occurred in 2001, and I think that there has been a shifting philosophy in the way "legacies" are viewed over the past 15 years in most major sports. I don't think that the perspective is the same. His selection is a mistake (to me), but just because he's in doesn't mean you should repeat that. Ray Guy is in as well, should we put in Andy Lee? When Edelman comes up, they should look at it, say, "yeah, he had a nice career...who's next?" 

If Edelman were close to a hall of famer - something more akin to Andre Johnson or someone in that realm, and then he showed up in the super bowl and had those moments, I think that could be something that sways a decision, but at this point in time, or even 3 years in the future? No way. He's had a nice career, with nice moments, but the only thing that separates him from Amani Toomer or Eric Moulds is that he got to play for the Patriots during a dynasty. 

Agree Swann is somewhat of a borderline call, but he was great during his era. We should also remember it was a far more difficult era to throw and receive the football. If Swann was playing under today's rules, he'd be putting together astronomical numbers. Also, with a HOF receiver on the other side, and a HOF RB in the backfield, that was going to hold down anyone's numbers. Like Paul Warfield and Bob Hayes, we just can't go by regular season catch totals. Swann was outstanding in three Super Bowls, and would have had three consecutive 100 yard plus games had he not sustained a concussion midway thru the third quarter of SB 14. Concussions did cut short his career, so that must be factored in as well. 

Archived