2018 NFL Draft Thread - READ!!!

CBears019

So the draft is just a couple of days away and this is one of the most exciting and suspenseful days of the entire year.  As always we need to remind ourselves of a few things to make the draft enjoyable for all:

NO SPOILERS!  Twitter spoils the draft picks every year, sometimes two or three picks before it’s set to be announced.  We all have Twitter, we all have access to those spoilers if we want them.  Some of us, probably most of us, still prefer the old fashion way of hearing the pick come from the commissioner.  Do not post twitter announcements before the pick is announced on tv.  There’s no need for that.  If you do, I’ll start going into your posts, and edit them to make you look like a pedophile or something.  Idk, just dont spoil picks.

YOU CANT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT.  You’re not always going to agree with the pick that is made, the compensation in a trade that is made, etc.  Deal with it like the mature adults that we are.  It seems like the draft causes a lot of people to regress several years in terms of maturity when they dont like a certain pick. All the rules still apply.  Don’t corcumvent the language filter, don’t attack other posters because they like the pick you don’t, so on and so forth.  If you’re upset go punch a hole in some drywall, i don’t care.  But when you make a post here stay level-headed and rational.

- DO NOT NAKE THREADS FOR BEARS PICKS.  I will designate one poster who will be in charge of making threads for all of the Bears picks.  We don’t need 7 different threads saying that the bears drafted Soandso.  IF YOU ARE INTERSTED IN BEING THE DESIGNATED POSTER, SEND ME A PM.  These threads are to be in depth analysis of the player.  Not just h/w/s, college, and combine scores.  Tell us about the player, his background, how he’s expected to fit in the Bears scheme, positives, negatives, etc.  You’re also expected to be around for all three days of the draft.  So if you have to pick your kid up from tee ball practice on Saturday afternoon the either tell your kid to man up and walk home, or don’t ask to be the designated poster.  I’d like to get someone new to do it every year, but i also want it to be someone who’s active on the boards and shows a knack for analyzing prospects, scheme fit, etc.  So interested parties send me a PM.  I want this figured out by tomorrow.

THIS THREAD WILL BE THE DRAFT THREAD WE USE FOR ALL THREE DAYS.  There’s no need to make new threads for draft discussion.  I will open this up on Thursday afternoon to get things rolling.  If i forget anyone here who’s friends with me on Facebook can send me a message or tyty can text me (i have no idea how he has my number...) and then I’ll open it up.

go hawks.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

So sounds a lot like the Browns are about to shock everyone and take Baker Mayfield...have to say I just don't see why I would go down that road with Taylor already in place but it is the Browns after all haha.

I do.  Tyrod Taylor is already maxed out in terms of what he can be.  He's not going to elevate his team to be more than a game manager who can occasionally make plays with his feet.

Mayfield has the potential to be special.  He's got the right attitude and he's very very accurate and he's shown he can rise to the occasion against top competition.  Only knock on him is that he's a little undersized but that never stopped guys like Brees, Russ Wilson or Rodgers.

Darnold is a close second but all the other QB's have a lot more question marks IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

So sounds a lot like the Browns are about to shock everyone and take Baker Mayfield...have to say I just don't see why I would go down that road with Taylor already in place but it is the Browns after all haha.

Yeah, lots of speculation early but now when people like Benjamin Allbright and Josina Anderson are confirming it, it's looking good. If not, it's one HELL of a smokescreen.

Just now, topwop1 said:

I do.  Tyrod Taylor is already maxed out in terms of what he can be.  He's not going to elevate his team to be more than a game manager who can occasionally make plays with his feet.

Mayfield has the potential to be special.  He's got the right attitude and he's very very accurate and he's shown he can rise to the occasion against top competition.  Only knock on him is that he's a little undersized but that never stopped guys like Brees, Russ Wilson or Rodgers.

Darnold is a close second but all the other QB's have a lot more question marks IMO. 

1 Rosen, 2 Mayfield, 3 Darnold, 4 Jackson, 5 Allen, IMO

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

1 Rosen, 2 Mayfield, 3 Darnold, 4 Jackson, 5 Allen, IMO

Rosen worries me.  Love the talent just don't know if he's cut out to be the guy.  He kind of reminds me of Cutler in terms of his personality.

The fact that his own head coach at UCLA Jim Mora said that he'd take Darnold at #1 for the Browns before any other QB is pretty telling.  This tells me that he might be a hard guy to coach and get on board.

36 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You misunderstand...I am not saying the Browns don't need to take a QB because of Taylor...they 100% do...I am just saying why take the guy who is probably the most maxed out when you have a capable QB on your roster? I like Mayfield I really do...dude is a baller but for every Russell Wilson there is a Colt McCoy and I am not sure I can get away from that...controversial I know and I think he will be better but I just don't see this as a knock it out the park selection.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You misunderstand...I am not saying the Browns don't need to take a QB because of Taylor...they 100% do...I am just saying why take the guy who is probably the most maxed out when you have a capable QB on your roster? I like Mayfield I really do...dude is a baller but for every Russell Wilson there is a Colt McCoy and I am not sure I can get away from that...controversial I know and I think he will be better but I just don't see this as a knock it out the park selection.

I don't think any of these QB's are necessarily a knock it out of the park type of prospect.  They all have their flaws.  Among the top rated ones though, I''d be apt to take the most accurate and the one who has had the most success against the highest level of competition.  To me that is Mayfield.

12 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think any of these QB's are necessarily a knock it out of the park type of prospect.  They all have their flaws.  Among the top rated ones though, I''d be apt to take the most accurate and the one who has had the most success against the highest level of competition.  To me that is Mayfield.

I don't disagree with anything in this post...I just feel Cleveland have been so very bad for so very long and have now smartened up (a little) by getting a vet QB that allows them to compete but also allows them to develop someone long term...take a swing at least.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't disagree with anything in this post...I just feel Cleveland have been so very bad for so very long and have now smartened up (a little) by getting a vet QB that allows them to compete but also allows them to develop someone long term...take a swing at least.

I see your point for sure but personally I don't think Taylor's leash will be that long as the starter over there.  If the Browns don;t get off to a decent start then I wouldn't be surprised if Hue Jackson is fired by midseason and Haley is made the interim guy and he opts to go with the younger guy who they will need to play right away.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I see your point for sure but personally I don't think Taylor's leash will be that long as the starter over there.  If the Browns don;t get off to a decent start then I wouldn't be surprised if Hue Jackson is fired by midseason and Haley is made the interim guy and he opts to go with the younger guy who they will need to play right away.

You could very well be right...i just think Haley especially allows you to go with the big under developed but uber talented guy...if it's me I go Barkley at #1 and come back at #4 for Allen to start in a year or two.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

You could very well be right...i just think Haley especially allows you to go with the big under developed but uber talented guy...if it's me I go Barkley at #1 and come back at #4 for Allen to start in a year or two.

Allen is trash IMO.  He can certainly zing it but he's too inaccurate for my liking and did he not elevate his program to the level you would want to see in an elite college QB prospect.  Add in those recent tweets and it's even more of a reason for me to stay far away.  I think we will see him fall a bit tonight.

If Browns wanted a guy like Allen then they could have just kept Kizer..

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Allen is trash IMO.  He can certainly zing it but he's too inaccurate for my liking and did he not elevate his program to the level you would want to see in an elite college QB prospect.  Add in those recent tweets and it's even more of a reason for me to stay far away.  I think we will see him fall a bit tonight.

If Browns wanted a guy like Allen then they could have just kept Kizer..

Only way I would want Allen is if I had Brady, Brees, etc in place and they coach would get to sit him for 2-3 years. If McDaniels had him and job security, I'd be a bit nervous.

Archived