Andrew Luck Injury Update 2018

Broncofan

So, the latest news is still worrisome...

While Opening Day is the ultimate goal, Luck can't just start throwing in TC - he needs to build up arm strength, get reps, and be ready for TC.   That means June-July at latest, he needs to be able to throw regularly.    This is very worrisome, given he hasn't played since 2016.   A normal recovery would have had him back in 2017...there is no case like him that has ended well in other sports, and all the good outcomes in football, the injury was fixed much sooner, and a much more normal recovery pathway was seen (Brees, Cam being the most recent ones).   EDIT:  It should be noted that if a football player who isn't a QB gets this injury, the recovery rates are pretty much 100 percent - but for throwers, it's where there's real risk.

The 4 red flags with Luck, though:

1.   Luck & IND delayed surgery for so long after the original injury.

2.   Luck's recovery has been delayed by 1+ year behind schedule.

3.   He went to Europe...which only means stem cells, HGH, etc...which isn't a good sign.

4.   And of course, still not throwing.  

The fact IND have apparently had Brissett trade offers and held off, can't say I blame them.  I wonder if they should think about a Day 2-3 QB if they think Brissett is just a placeholder.

Oh wow you’ll have to wonder if he’ll ever be the same at this point. Shame he was such a fun QB to watch. Wonder if they’re just lack of power-torque or just pain and discomfort. Can’t imagine a second operation is out of the imagination. 

7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Such a strange injury, I don't really even get how it got this bad tbh

Hope he comes out the other side, sport was better with him in it.

Waiting 2 years to get it fixed is the key issue IMO.   Cam and Brees both got their surgery within 2 months of the original injury (which makes sense to wait until the swelling goes down, and confirm the severity of injury).    Luck (for not disclosing soon enough), the medical staff and GM Grigson really deserve the blame here..well, except Grigson was in over his head regardless.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

They have allegedly turned down multiple trade offers for him this offseason.

It's more likely Luck is traded to a team like the Chargers, Bengals or Ravens by next hear.

Who knows, maybe John Dorsey would draft Saquon Barkley and Denzel Ward then trade a pick for Luck.

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

It's more likely Luck is traded to a team like the Chargers, Bengals or Ravens by next hear.

Who knows, maybe John Dorsey would draft Saquon Barkley and Denzel Ward then trade a pick for Luck.

Luck is untradeable at this point.   He's going to have to get back on the field and look OK...at which point, IND won't want to deal him.

Always looking for a positive update on Luck's injury, but they're never really forthcoming. You get Ballard with the occasional "he's on schedule" or "there's no issues" etc but this is looking more and more serious as we progress.

A healthy Andrew Luck behind centre is the difference between a record like last season and achieving at least a .500 record. 

I just wonder how confident the front office is about his actual recovery. They would know more than most one would assume. Just wonder if Ballard looks at that 6th overall pick and is tempted to grab a QB. I don't think it happens but I sometimes wonder if he thinks about it. 

Just now, Broncofan said:

Luck is untradeable at this point.   He's going to have to get back on the field and look OK...at which point, IND won't want to deal him.

Nah, a QB with his assets is never untradeable. They wont get much, but as long as Luck has interest in continuing his career, he will be in someones facility.

Archived