Andrew Luck Injury Update 2018

Broncofan

Just now, packerrfan74 said:

Nah, a QB with his assets is never untradeable. They wont get much, but as long as Luck has interest in continuing his career, he will be in someones facility.

Let me rephrase - untradeable at a value IND would take.

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

bY6lLgw

The going to Europe thing just shrouded the whole thing in way more mystery
Say he comes back and returns to form, does that become an asterisk for anyone?

If anything, it would increase the temptation for star players with very serious injuries to go to Europe if it worked.   I mean, besides the perks of Dutch "entertainment" and recreational pharmaceuticals.

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Nah why would it? Just because the FDA doesn't put their holy stamp of approval on a treatment, whatever.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/11/16/andrew-luck-europe-why-hes-there-and-what-means/871166001/

According to speculation^^ he was over there for a Regenokine treatment:

Wehling, based in Dusseldorf, Germany, patented the innovative procedure called Regenokine, a therapy in which the patient’s own blood is used for his benefit. Blood is drawn from the body, spun down to separate the healing and anti-inflammatory agents, then reinjected into the area of chronic pain. Bryant, the longtime Los Angeles Laker, raved about the procedure during the twilight of his career, vowing it saved his arthritic knee. Same with former Yankees star Alex Rodriguez, who reportedly went to Wehling for knee and shoulder pain. Same with golfer Fred Couples, who’s battled an aching back for a decade and then some. Same with dozens more.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Dude's done. His shoulder is toast. Indy really screwed up what could've been a solid QB.

There's plenty of blame to go around:

1.  Luck for not disclosing his shoulder was bothering him that much...for 2 years.

2.  The medical staff, for not noticing he wasn't right for so long.

3.  Grigson for not valuing OL protection enough and getting Luck more protection, instead relying on Luck's elite skills to make a terrible OL play up (it didn't).  

Luck's blame is somewhat understandable - a team's medical staff and GM/FO are sometimes required to protect a player from himself (and the team from the player).

13 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Nah why would it? Just because the FDA doesn't put their holy stamp of approval on a treatment, whatever.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/11/16/andrew-luck-europe-why-hes-there-and-what-means/871166001/

According to speculation^^ he was over there for a Regenokine treatment:

The thing with Regenokine, is that it's aimed at improving blood flow and healing.  It works in theory well with injuries where there's cell growth and regeneration (with stem cells in combo) required, or an area with poor blood flow that impairs healing (e.g. Achilles).   But it's totally unknown territory with an injury that's left this long (where an anti-inflammatory wouldn’t really help an injury that old except with symptom control), and that's not healing after 2 years.  

It's pretty much the Hail Mary of injury recovery, when combined with stem cells.    Kobe made it famous, but ARod and Couples had limited success performance wise after their therapies.   So it's pretty iffy - but it's the last option he had left without going under the knife.   After this, there's only a 2nd operation - where the recovery rates are abysmal.

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

Oh wow you’ll have to wonder if he’ll ever be the same at this point. Shame he was such a fun QB to watch. Wonder if they’re just lack of power-torque or just pain and discomfort. Can’t imagine a second operation is out of the imagination. 

I feel like now we are wondering if he ever plays again period

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

bY6lLgw

An asterisk?  No.  Even if he went on HGH or something similar to help him heal, those sorts of treatments were created for that purpose.  I don't have any problem with him using any medical procedure to help himself recover from a major injury.  

“There are certain things that I wish I had handled differently,’’ Luck said. “Try to make sure I’ve learned from that and move forward. If it sounds like I’m saying it’s my fault, I’m not going to argue with you on it, but I’m also not whipping myself across my back for anything I’ve done.

“I think I pushed a little too hard on certain things and didn’t give the requisite amount of time for certain things to happen. Your body, as I’m learning, will tell you ‘No’ in certain ways and you’ve got to listen to it.

“You can’t force things to happen. I think I convinced myself I could force things to happen, and I paid for it.’’

http://cbs4indy.com/2018/04/09/andrew-luck-plans-for-return-to-training-camp-says-competitive-nature-hurt-2017-chances/

35 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I legit don't remember anything like this before. Makes you seriously wonder about his longevity.

i'm just a bit too young to remember pennington, not sure if that was similar? i get the feeling that luck will play again, but his arm is gonna be shot. and with the style of QB he is where he already tends to take a few WTF risks per game, i don't see it working out well. 

Archived