1 Round Unconventional Mock

badgers0821

Thought I'd go against the grain here...one trade.

1. CLE - Bradley Chubb, OLB/DE, NC State

The Browns ultimately aren't enamored with any QBs and feel the RB class is deep enough to snag one later.  Edge rusher class is not deep so they secure the ridiculous pass rush.

2. NYG - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St

Giants still have Eli with Webb as an option to take over.  They go for the best overall player in the draft at a true need position.  They go OL in the second. 

3. NYJ - Josh Rosen, QB, USC

The Jets get the pick of the QB litter...let's hope they don't screw it up.

4. CLE - Sam Darnold, QB, USC

The Browns gamble of taking Chubb first pays off.  Now they need their QB of the future and Darnold is that guy. 

*Trade* Bills send #12, #22 and 2019 1st round to Broncos for #5

5. BUF - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

The Bills need a franchise WB after their first taste of the playoffs in a quarter century.  They may the move here and secure the wild card WB of the draft.

6. IND - Quenton Nelson, OG, ND

With Chubb and Barkley off the board it makes sense to start in the trenches if Luck is going to make it 15+ years in this league.

7. TB - Denzel Ward, CB, FSU

The Bucs need help on the back end and grab the best cover corner in the draft.

8. CHI - Roquon Smith, LB, Georgia

The Bears want to get back to their days of top 5 defenses, Smith is a good start.

9. SF - Harold Landry, OLB, BC

As stated before, the OLB/DE or EDGE position is not terribly deep this year so the miners decide to take one here. 

10. OAK - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, V Tech

The Raiders have been lacking st the LB position for years, this is a no-brainer.

11. MIA - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

I feel this is a good spot for Allen.  The Dolphins still have Tannehill but he hasn't been the franchise guy they were hoping, although he had played well at times.  Allen's upside is too great to pass on here.

12. DEN via BUF - Derwin James, DB, FSU

Not a huge need but BPA at this point.

13. WAS - Vita Vea, NT, Washington 

The Redskins decide to beef up on the interior, taking the best interior DL in the draft.

14. GB -  Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

In truth I want the Packers to move up to get James or Ward or have Landry fall to them but the best WR in the draft isn't a bad consolation prize.

15. ARI - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

His versatility can cover the loss of Mathieu.  

16. BAL - Mike McGlinchey, OT, ND

The loss of Wagner really hurt their online, this pick would produce some nice bookends from ND.

17. LAC - DaRon Payne, DT, Alabama

Jackson would be enticing here but the Chargers decide to beef up their front, which is much needed.  They also happen to take the BPA.

18. SEA - Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

After the complete upheaval of the D the Hawks will need some new blood to rush the passer and Davenport's upside is too enticing.

19. DAL - DJ Moore, WR, Maryland

I thought about S and LB but Moore was higher on my list than any player at those positions.  Prescott will be happy with Moore's production.

20. DET - Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

The Lions could use some interior pass rush help and Bryan is a raw but athletic DT that can handle that need.

21. CIN - Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP

The Bengals need interior lineman and they take the top OG out of UTEP.

22. DEN - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

His versatility will finally allow the Broncos to replace Trevathan.  Although he didn't run the 40 his tape speaks for itself.

23. NE - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

The wait is over for Jackson as the Patriots feel not olny are they getting their replacement for Brady but at a spot of great value.

24. CAR - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Alexander is an intriguing prospect for a team that still needs to shore up their secondary.  He is a bit undersized but his speed and tenacity makes up for it.

25. TEN - James Daniels, C, Iowa

The Titans have a strong OL but C is a liability.  With no pass rushers worth this pick they get a plug and play C.

26. ATL - Hayden Hurst, TE, SC

This unfortunately is a worst case scenario for the Falcons with no DTs available for this pick.  They decide to go with the best remaining pass catcher to help Ryan and take some pressure off Julio.

27. NO - Dallas Goedert, TE, S Dak St

The loss of Snead hurts but they already needed an upgrade at TE.  Goedert will allow them to stretch the field the way they haven't been able to do since Jimmy Graham left.

28. PIT - Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise St

I am not as high on LVE as others are but I think he may be a perfect fit for the Steelers at an obvious position of need.

29. JAX - Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia

Wynn's versatility is a perfect fit for what Jacksonville wants to do on offense, which is run the ball.

30. MIN - Connor Williams, OL, Texas

It was between Williams and Miller and i think Williams has more upside.  The Bikings need help along the OL to protect their fully guaranteed QB.

31. NE - Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

In Jackson NE gets a long, playmaking boundary CB.  This upgrade will strengthen the Patriots D in a pass-happy league.

32. PHI - Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

The biggest ? for the Philly D is at CB after losing Robinson and not really knowing what they are getting with Sydney Jones. This pick will help alleviate some of that concern.

As a Patriots fan, Bill seems to like Lorenzo Carter and he could replace Collins as the ILB/OLB hybrid. I'm thinking Bill goes that route at 31 if he doesn't trade back. Jackson is good though. I like the Landry pick for SF. He's good enough to go Top 10.

59 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Can’t see the Titans going OL. LVE would be great there.

I can't see them picking for depth here, especially since they have other holes and LVE is rated well below Daniels...that pick wouldn't make a ton of sense.

9 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

I can't see them picking for depth here, especially since they have other holes and LVE is rated well below Daniels...that pick wouldn't make a ton of sense.

How would he be depth? Titans don’t have a ton of holes on the roster regardless. The Titans have an average center in Ben Jones. It’s not like they have a gaping hole at center. The Titans currently at ILB have Wesley Woodyard, Will Compton, Jayon Brown, and Nate Palmer. Woodyard is the only guaranteed starter.  Compton was signed to a 1 year deal and is limited. Same with Jayon Brown. Plus Woodyard isn’t getting any younger.  If the Titans draft a OLB at 25, he would be depth in year 1 with Morgan and Orakpo as the starters. 

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

How would he be depth? Titans don’t have a ton of holes on the roster regardless. The Titans have an average center in Ben Jones. It’s not like they have a gaping hole at center. The Titans currently at ILB have Wesley Woodyard, Will Compton, Jayon Brown, and Nate Palmer. Woodyard is the only guaranteed starter.  Compton was signed to a 1 year deal and is limited. Same with Jayon Brown. Plus Woodyard isn’t getting any younger.  If the Titans draft a OLB at 25, he would be depth in year 1 with Morgan and Orakpo as the starters. 

Well I'm sure Ben Jones would have to thank you for calling him average.  Most of your argument would be that LVE would be an upgrade over what you currently have and outside of Brown I'm not sure that he is, but your point is taken.

Just now, badgers0821 said:

Well I'm sure Ben Jones would have to thank you for calling him average.  Most of your argument would be that LVE would be an upgrade over what you currently have and outside of Brown I'm not sure that he is, but your point is taken.

Ben Jones is an average player.... What else more do you want? He doesn’t suck if that’s what you’re trying to imply. Sure he can be upgraded but so can whoever the other ILB beside Woodyard is. LVE isn’t an upgrade over Compton? 

26. ATL - Hayden Hurst, TE, SC

This unfortunately is a worst case scenario for the Falcons with no DTs available for this pick.  They decide to go with the best remaining pass catcher to help Ryan and take some pressure off Julio.

So they take a 25 year old TE that doesn't really fit? Naw. I can't see it. Speed WR, even a guy like Sam Hubbard as a BPA who is a SDE/nickel DT fit would make a ton more sense.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

So they take a 25 year old TE that doesn't really fit? Naw. I can't see it. Speed WR, even a guy like Sam Hubbard as a BPA who is a SDE/nickel DT fit would make a ton more sense.

I'll give you Hubbard... but I have him at about 55, so the BPA argument won't work.

Where as i like Hayden Hurst as a player he still wouldn't be my pick in this situation over a few more players not only because his age for one but because other players are better and are more a need than a #2/3 TE in round 1.

Maurice Hurst and B.J. Hill for dang sure as i like both players more than any TE in this draft at a bigger need.

But if you don't want to go DT then i would go with Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise St.  He would be great to pair with Deion Jones and Devondre Campbell to make our Lb core complete. If none of those are there then i probably go with a guy in Isaiah Wynn who i think is a top 20 quality player at OG or OT and an eventual replacement next year for Levitre or Matthews saving us 8 to 11 mil for either player in cap to put toward other positions and give us elite depth this year.

Archived