When it's all said and done, pick and slot is---

51to54

Just now, IronMike84 said:

Kuechly went at 9. He's worth if he's projected to have the same sort of impact.

Still rare, though. And Kuechly had a much better defense to be plugged into. I'm not saying he wouldn't help the Bears (although he'd be better off in a 4-3, I think), or be an outstanding player (he would be, in all likelihood)...I simply don't think the stars align for it all to happen. He could conceivably go to the 49ers. I doubt it's higher than that. We'll see! 

46 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I'm all-in for Roquan at this point.

His draft stock is on fire, though. I think his ceiling is Indi at #6.

We know Pace is a "traits" guy. Roquan's traits are off the chart, so it's just a matter of how pace views his ceiling.

I'm a LB guy, go figure, and think Roquan's game is tailor made for the new NFL and would shed tears of joy if Pace and crew thought he was good enough to draft at 8.

More teams are drafting impact RB who can kill you rushing or receiving and I think a guy like Roquan in the middle would negate teams' whose offenses are built around these RB mismatches.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I want Landry at 8 even if it’s seen as early. I don’t care for the draft day takes - what matters is what he becomes once games start, and I think he’s DROY and an impact edge rusher from day 1. However, if we pick at 8 my gut tell me it’s Edmunds or Roquan. I don’t think they stay at 8 though. I think they trade down (whether Nelson is there or not) to 12 or 15 and take Landry or Davenport there while adding quantity in round 2-4. 

I love how he uses his hands and fakes to defeat OT's and that doesn't even begin to address his great speed rush. My only worry is that he has already developed an advanced pass rush set and will have fewer gears to shift to once he's in the NFL and going against much better Olinemen. Not in any way do I see him as the next Shea though.

5 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

I love how he uses his hands and fakes to defeat OT's and that doesn't even begin to address his great speed rush. My only worry is that he has already developed an advanced pass rush set and will have fewer gears to shift to once he's in the NFL and going against much better Olinemen. Not in any way do I see him as the next Shea though.

I think at 22 years old he’s a good bet to give you 2014-16 Willie Young level sack production (8 sacks/year) early on with upside into the teens. That’s a foundation level defender. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I want Landry at 8 even if it’s seen as early. I don’t care for the draft day takes - what matters is what he becomes once games start, and I think he’s DROY and an impact edge rusher from day 1. However, if we pick at 8 my gut tell me it’s Edmunds or Roquan. I don’t think they stay at 8 though. I think they trade down (whether Nelson is there or not) to 12 or 15 and take Landry or Davenport there while adding quantity in round 2-4. 

Agree

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I'm all-in for Roquan at this point.

His draft stock is on fire, though. I think his ceiling is Indi at #6.

We know Pace is a "traits" guy. Roquan's traits are off the chart, so it's just a matter of how pace views his ceiling.

I think Indy takes him at #6...people are saying he is like Patrick Willis which is a bit rich for my liking but a healthy Jon Beason I can totally see.

I don't know if I have a true horse in this race... let's see:

• If they go Roquan Smith I think he lines up next to Trevathan this season; next season Trevathan is cut and our starters are Smith and Kwiatkoski.
  • I could make an argument for Minkah Fitzpatrick at nickel this season and if Amos doesn't take a big step at safety he isn't re-signed and Fitzpatrick takes his job.
  • Nelson... I don't know, I don't see the need to take a guard at #8. Joe Thomas was one of the best LTs in the game and how much did he move the needle for a dog-**** Cleveland Browns franchise (and he was a LT for crying out loud -- they deserve to be picked that high -- not a LG).
  • Ward... he's smaller than what I think Fangio likes on the outside, but he's just about the right size to play nickel if you look at Callahan/Le'Blanc. He's sticky as **** in coverage and isn't afraid to come up and stick his nose in run support, so I could see an argument for him as well. Amukamara can be cut after the 2019 season and you can slide Ward into that position.

I think in my perfect world, only 3 QBs go in the top 7 and we get Miami or Buffalo to trade up to 8. From there, we should have a shot at one of the aforementioned players OR a pass rusher like Marcus Davenport or Harold Landry.

@G08

I agree, I don't have that one prospect I LOVE like I have in the last few drafts, but a number of them "I have a deep regard for" (name the cartoon that is from) that I would be content to take at 8. I actually have 8 guys that I wouldn't bat an eye at, though clearly  prefer some more than others.

4 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Are we off the Marcus Davenport wagon now? I think he still has a shot to be the 8th pick based on his character and traits. 

I still think he has an obnoxiously high ceiling, but I just don't know if I can justify taking him at 8 with people like Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward, Minkah Fitzpatrick likely still sitting there. Pace needs to hit on this pick.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I still think he has an obnoxiously high ceiling, but I just don't know if I can justify taking him at 8 with people like Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward, Minkah Fitzpatrick likely still sitting there. Pace needs to hit on this pick.

Roquan is slowly growing on me. His speed and instincts are just fantastic. I see him as a true leader of the front 7.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

Roquan is slowly growing on me. His speed and instincts are just fantastic. I see him as a true leader of the front 7.

I just wish the value of the talent that will be there at #8 would match up with our "needs". But they don't which is annoying.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just wish the value of the talent that will be there at #8 would match up with our "needs". But they don't which is annoying.

It's hard to even tell how these players will translate into the NFL. Greg Gabriel tweeted that he expects some players to fall because of poor medicals. This should be a really interesting draft. 

Archived