Patriots Draft Focus: Quarterback

dhunt2402

Continuing the series with perhaps the most controversial position the Patriots have been linked with...

Quarterback

I'll speak for myself here a bit, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Brady. Feels like after almost 20 years of buying in he's gotten tired of Belichick's ways, and he isn't really being that subtle about it. And while I have little doubt that he'll be able to move forward and play like he usually does once the season starts, he's got Gronk following his lead acting like a brat and who knows who else will join. Either way it's really not good for the team from where I stand, and there's no way in hell any of this stuff would fly with a Bruschi or Harrison in the locker room. And while I still think all things equal we'll see Tom play another 3-4 years, that's within the window for a rookie QB's first contract if we draft one this season, and for all we know we might need one even sooner. So with that:

-- 

Early target: Josh Rosen, UCLA

This draft class of QBs really scares me, there are 6 guys that could be 1st rounders, and 3 of them I wouldn't take before Day 3. I think Allen is a disaster mechanics wise, Jackson is about the most inconsistent passer I've seen that's still considered a potential 1st rounder, and Rudolph I see really struggling to adapt to the speed of the NFL game coming from OK State's simplified offense. The three remaining guys would all require a trade up, Darnold's 2017 season scares me off investing in him (I think he goes #1 regardless), Mayfield I think is the real deal but he's another guy I see going top 5. If one is going to drop to the range where the Pats would consider moving up, I think it's the best of the bunch, Josh Rosen. I'd be hesitant to give up both first rounders this year, given the need for young cost-controlled talent on defense, but if he reaches the 8, 9, 10 overall range I think you have to at least pick up the phone and try to figure something out. He's going to be a star.

Player(s) to avoid: Luke Falk, Washington State

In addition to the guys listed above, I think Falk is a QB that's easy to really like watching highlights, but looking at his games against the best competition in the Pac 12 last season he really didn't hold up well, held the ball way too long and looked like he was having trouble figuring out the defense. It's bad enough asking the guy to make the leap from Mike Leach's offense to the NFL, then you add that to concerns with his ability to get the ball downfield, I just don't see it. Not before the end of the draft at least, certainly not in Rounds 2 or 3.

Late round sleeper: None

Just not a deep class. You're gonna see a Kyle Lauletta off the board as high as Round 2, beyond that there's no one in this draft I'd be super excited about on Day 3. Mike White has some tools, but I don't know that he's ever a starter at the next level. I just don't think we're finding our next starting quarterback late in this draft, we might take someone but it'll be Hoyer competition not eventual Brady competition.

I'm opposed to Luke Falk as well. Edelman has been acting subtly like a brat in too. Part of the reason I could see him cut aside from being over thirty, recoving from the ACL surgery, and being a slot receiver on the final year of his contract.

It wouldn't surprise me if the initial trade to the 9ers involved Brady instead of Jimmy. When push came to shove, Bill begrudgingly moved G under Kraft's eye in place of Tom in good faith to the other organization over in San Francisco.

If Rosen/Mayfield makes their way down to 10, I wouldn’t be completely opposed to moving up for him. Oakland sits right at the crux of where the fall off starts from the best players in the draft IMO, they might look to get value if one of the QBs fall. 

I wouldn’t be against Lamar Jackson either. 

The 2nd round guys aren’t much for me. I’d rather take a flyer on Logan Woodside than take Rudolph/Lauletta/Falk in R2.

I'm in on Rosen and Mayfield.  I'm not a fan of Jackson.  Would rather move our first to get a future first and go for a 2019 QB.

I like Lauletta and Falk more than most but with their arms they really max out at stop gaps. I really was hoping Lauletta would show stronger arm somewhere. 

I absolutely hate Rudolph and he's going to bust. 

Late rounds I wouldn't mind Benkert from UVA. Crazy inconsistent flashed brilliance at Miami. Has nfl arm it wouldn't be worst use of a pick. 

Priority FAs I like Princeton's Kanoff and FIU's McGough. Both lack nfl arms.  Showed quickprocessing and good mechanics and had very good placement on a lot of throws. 

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm opposed to Luke Falk as well. Edelman has been acting subtly like a brat in too. Part of the reason I could see him cut aside from being over thirty, recoving from the ACL surgery, and being a slot receiver on the final year of his contract.

It wouldn't surprise me if the initial trade to the 9ers involved Brady instead of Jimmy. When push came to shove, Bill begrudgingly moved G under Kraft's eye in place of Tom in good faith to the other organization over in San Francisco.

Is cutting Edelman your new narrative now that the Gronk news is dead? How has Edelman been "subtly acting like a brat". He was at the most recent workout and has worked his *** off to recover. Think you're again reaching here because he posts some social media stories and tags Danny Amendola. Dola is his best friend; that's always been clear.

2 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Is cutting Edelman your new narrative now that the Gronk news is dead? How has Edelman been "subtly acting like a brat". He was at the most recent workout and has worked his *** off to recover. Think you're again reaching here because he posts some social media stories and tags Danny Amendola. Dola is his best friend; that's always been clear.

The one thing about this whole situation is that I think if one leaves, then one or both of the others leave too. It's sounding like the situation is more amicable now, but I don't rule anything out. I thought Edelman was being facetious and to me if Gronk is gone, the likelihood of Edelman sticking around goes down too. My next step was if both Gronk and Edelman are gone, then I think Brady would seriously reconsider playing this year. That's all it is.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

The one thing about this whole situation is that I think if one leaves, then one or both of the others leave too. It's sounding like the situation is more amicable now, but I don't rule anything out. I thought Edelman was being facetious and to me if Gronk is gone, the likelihood of Edelman sticking around goes down too. My next step was if both Gronk and Edelman are gone, then I think Brady would seriously reconsider playing this year. That's all it is.

You logic is that if Gronk gets traded, Edelman will just leave? or Belichick will just cut him?

You realize players have signed and been traded from the Patriots before, right? You realize that's upset current Patriots, right? Logan Mankins was traded, that upset Brady. Did he just hang it up after that? Wes Welker walked. That upset Brady? Did he just walk after that?

Listen to any Patriot player talk about this- they always have the same answer. Heck, I'm pretty sure Edelman has recently said this. It's a cut throat business. This hasn't changed. Belichick tries to leave emotions out of his decision making. Danny Amendola leaving for a bigger payday isn't going to have some ripple effect on the Patriots organization. 

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

You logic is that if Gronk gets traded, Edelman will just leave? or Belichick will just cut him?

You realize players have signed and been traded from the Patriots before, right? You realize that's upset current Patriots, right? Logan Mankins was traded, that upset Brady. Did he just hang it up after that? Wes Welker walked. That upset Brady? Did he just walk after that?

Listen to any Patriot player talk about this- they always have the same answer. Heck, I'm pretty sure Edelman has recently said this. It's a cut throat business. This hasn't changed. Belichick tries to leave emotions out of his decision making. Danny Amendola leaving for a bigger payday isn't going to have some ripple effect on the Patriots organization. 

I attributed nothing of my previous posts to Danny Amendola signing with the Dolphins. If Edelman is cut it will be because Edelman is replaceable and in a vulnerable position at his age and injury history. The other aspect is if Belichick feels like Brady, Gronk, and Edelman are hurting the team then he will deal with it by trading them, (excluding Brady). The difference between when the Patriots did this with Logan Mankins, Lawyer Milloy, Deion Branch, Wes Welker and others, (as it relates to Brady), is that Brady is older now and already been contemplative about retiring earlier than expected. Should Belichick or the Patriots go down that path of moving on from Edelman or Gronkowski, then under those circumstances I can see a scenario where Brady retires -- but even then I think it would be unlikely he would.

• 1 month later...

Glad we backed out of this QB class. It was far too top heavy, and we got 2 players in the first round who will shine for us for years if they remain healthy. No point in reaching this year, when we've got Brady for at least another season.

As for the above - it's being blown out of proportion. BB is doing what he always does, Gronk has finally cottoned on that he's vastly underpaid, and TB just wanted to see his family. All good :D

34 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Glad we backed out of this QB class. It was far too top heavy, and we got 2 players in the first round who will shine for us for years if they remain healthy. No point in reaching this year, when we've got Brady for at least another season.

As for the above - it's being blown out of proportion. BB is doing what he always does, Gronk has finally cottoned on that he's vastly underpaid, and TB just wanted to see his family. All good :D

Keep sleeping on Danny Etling, fool!

Archived