2018 Mock Draft, Season Projection, 2019 Offseason

jetskid007

I don't think the Baker leaks are coming from the Jets. It's either the agents or media just guessing. If he is the pick, those that are guessing got lucky. But I don't think we can rule him out because it's not the Jets putting this stuff out there. Peter King noted that Gettleman and Dorsey can work for the CIA, and Macc is not far behind. Nobody truly knows what is going to happen with the top 3 picks. These reporters are assuming the Giants would only consider a QB if Darnold is there.

Was watching Jimmy G highlights. Nice comp. 

I'm a big believer that QB's bust or do well partly because of organizational fit and offensive scheme fit. I really like what Rosen says about that. He wants to go to the right organization. I'm on board with that line of thinking. I think the Jets and Rosen fit like a glove. But I feel the same way about Baker. So, who knows. 

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think the Baker leaks are coming from the Jets. It's either the agents or media just guessing. If he is the pick, those that are guessing got lucky. But I don't think we can rule him out because it's not the Jets putting this stuff out there. Peter King noted that Gettleman and Dorsey can work for the CIA, and Macc is not far behind. Nobody truly knows what is going to happen with the top 3 picks. These reporters are assuming the Giants would only consider a QB if Darnold is there.

Was watching Jimmy G highlights. Nice comp. 

I'm a big believer that QB's bust or do well partly because of organizational fit and offensive scheme fit. I really like what Rosen says about that. He wants to go to the right organization. I'm on board with that line of thinking. I think the Jets and Rosen fit like a glove. But I feel the same way about Baker. So, who knows. 

Completely agree about the scheme and even more so surrounding talent. There’s a handful of QBs ever that can win with no matter who the skill players are/were around them. Meaning it’s very rare. I think you need a good run game, some good receiving options and a decent OLine to groom a franchise QB. This IMO is where we really fell short in recent years. We let our players on offense go after 2 years with Sanchez and never gave Geno any help. I’m not saying that the surrounding talent is more important than QB. But I think it’s key in building up and grooming a franchise QB. Confidence is big with all these guys. And if you can build that confidence early it sets the tone for their career. I feel our OLine is average to above average which is a plus. Our RBs are above average (I like Crowell) I’d love to see us add a guy in the 3rd or 4th as well. And our WRs are above average. No we don’t have a #1. But we have 3-4 #2s which is great for depth. It’s a decent set up for a rookie QB to succeed.

@SDotNova everything you had to say is spot on. I don't think it's  just media speculation, I think there is legs to it. It's coming from Baker's camp. My guess is the Jets have led them to believe that they'd take him at 3 in some way or from, but teams don't always keep their word... especially when there's no real way of knowing who will be available. Maccagnan is so methodical that it wouldn't surprise me if he led Mayfield's camp to believe that he'd be the pick purposely, knowing it would spread around the league.

For the purposes of this mock draft, that's my belief: the Jets big board is 1) Sam Darnold, 2) Josh Rosen, 3) Baker Mayfield. They're guaranteed to land one of them, but if you want to avoid teams feeling like they have to jump you for Darnold/Rosen, might as well make it seem like the #3 player on your board is #1. 

11 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I love the Jimmy G to Mayfield comparison

That's probably why I love both

I like Jimmy Gs skill set. I just have to see him do more to call him a franchise QB and even worth 1/2 of what his contract is. I feel he can do that. I just need to see it.

Given the recent report that the Browns are down to Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen, I figured I would post my write up for Sam Darnold. I felt for a long time that he would be our pick (dating back to March 8, which I projected we traded with IND and selecting him), but made the conclusion that Darnold would go #1 last night. The madness is upon us. 

With the 3rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select…

Sam Darnold, Quarterback, USC

One thing I learned in following the draft all this years is to expect the unexpected: as soon as everyone starts to assume something will happen, the opposite happens. After the Browns made the bold decision to take Josh Allen #1 overall, all eyes are on the Giants, who can take their QBOTF in Sam Darnold, or take their highest graded prospect in the draft in Saquon Barkley. As they let the phone calls come in and sift through various trade offers, they get a call from none other than the New York Jets with a few minutes on the clock. They discuss compensation to move up from 3-to-2, with the Giants wanting a similar package that the 49ers received last year but the Jets not willing to go that far. As the two trade ideas, the Giants are forced to hang up with the clock winding down. What the Giants didn’t realize is this effort by the Jets was a stall tactic. The Jets got enough attention out of them that it became clear the Giants didn’t like the offers they were receiving, but really wanted to get something done with the Jets. They showed their hand by engaging so deeply: the Giants want Saquon Barkley, so trading with the Jets was extremely appealing to them – they can pass on a QB with a good conscience, knowing they got a ton of draft capital to do it while landing their top player in the draft. Now, the Jets sit and wait for the pick to be announced.

The phone rings. Maccagnan answers. There’s a pause…

“They’re taking Saquon.”

The Jets war room erupts.

The Jets aggressive play for a QB will turn out to be Sam Darnold, who the Jets believed was the best player in the draft. When they made the trade, the Jets didn’t think there was a chance they’d be able to get Darnold, but they liked the other QBs enough to make the move. While I have come around on the thought that the Jets traded up to 3 with the expectation that Mayfield would be the floor for that pick, I’ve felt all along that Darnold would be their top passer because he checks every box as a prospect. Our front office values youth, leadership, moxy, and potential – all things Darnold optimizes. I think a lot of the Mayfield chatter has leaked as a way to protect their real top prospect in the event he was to fall to them, that way teams have to think twice before paying the ridiculous price to move up to #2 for him.

From a talent perspective, Darnold has a lot going his way: he throws with plus-accuracy and arm strength, can fit in any offense – especially the Jets’ offense which incorporates a lot of action/roll outs off hard zone action, is an excellent “off-script” playmaker, and can throw well on the run, which are all important factors in Jeremy Bates’ offense. Darnold is still learning the nuances of the game but adapts especially well in this offense because Bates defines the half-field reads and throws pre-snap for the QB.

I get why a lot of Jet fans aren’t crazy about him: he’s a USC QB who turned over the ball a lot and had a down sophomore campaign, but it’s easy to forget that he’s only 20 years old with 27 games under his belt. USC had 11 offensive players (including Adoree Jackson, who was a two-way player) declare for the 2017 draft or graduate after the 2016 season, which included 3 starting offensive lineman, his top 3 wide receivers, and starting running back (Adoree Jackson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Banner, Damien Mama, Chad Wheeler, Darreus Rogers, Justin Davis, Jordan Simons, Isaac Whitney, De’Quan Hampton, Taylor McNamara). Much like Jameis Winston’s second year at FSU, Sam was asked to put the team on his back, and it resulted in him trying to do too much at times. The Jets can afford to be patient with him, but I get the sense he’ll find a way to win the starting job by week one. 

Maccagnan has a lot of luck drafting in the top 6 – 3 times having a top 2 player on our board fall to our pick – but hopefully this is the last time we’re drafting this high for a long time.

Best ComparableJameis Winston-meets-Tony Romo

These are generally two of the most popular comparisons for Darnold and for good reason: he’s a similar athlete to Jameis – neither of which will wow you with their testing numbers or muscular builds – has similar mechanics and body movements but plays a lot more like Romo. Darnold is only 20 years old and has a lot of room to grow – whether it be physically, mechanically, and mentally. Ultimately, I think he’ll reach that Tony Romo-tier of QBs; he may need a year to develop, but he’s going to be a player that can consistently win you games based on his play-making ability inside-and-outside of structure.

If by the grace of God the Browns select Allen or Mayfield and leave either (possibly both) of Darnold and Rosen on the board and we get either one. I can honestly say two things:

One- Macc made a ballsy move to go and move up (something he was scoffed at by many media reports/analysts) and will reap his rewards come Thursday night. 

Two- Thursday night will be the change the franchise has needed for 50 years, one that will actually make us a legit playoff team for years to come. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Ya buddy of mine owns a suite there and invited me to go. All cowboy fans except me and another buddy (Broncos fan). Free drinks can’t complain

Wow big baller style.  Not gonna be one of those sweaty savages down in the pits.  Are you gonna be the guy the camera cuts to who is crying if Baker is the pick?  lol.  Just think if he busts you could be B roll famous forever just like the guys when Kyle Brady was picked and when Kenny O was picked.

Just now, rampantjet said:

Wow big baller style.  Not gonna be one of those sweaty savages down in the pits.  Are you gonna be the guy the camera cuts to who is crying if Baker is the pick?  lol.  Just think if he busts you could be B roll famous forever just like the guys when Kyle Brady was picked and when Kenny O was picked.

Haha thank God I’m in a suite where they hopefully won’t be filming, bc I probably would roll my eyes if we picked him. I don’t hate the guy so I won’t be pissed if we draft him. I just see no way he’s the guy I want at 3 unless Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2. Should be a fun night regardless. I’ll try and stay “somewhat” sober until we pick. 

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

If by the grace of God the Browns select Allen or Mayfield and leave either (possibly both) of Darnold and Rosen on the board and we get either one. I can honestly say two things:

One- Macc made a ballsy move to go and move up (something he was scoffed at by many media reports/analysts) and will reap his rewards come Thursday night. 

Two- Thursday night will be the change the franchise has needed for 50 years, one that will actually make us a legit playoff team for years to come. 

Macc's move was polarizing among media members when he made it, but nearly every podcast I've listened to recently now laud the move. Many have even come out to say that they were wrong to criticize it... basically, Macc realized the price to get into the top 3 would only grow as the draft neared. Macc wanted to be proactive and it worked. He screwed some teams over (namely the Bills, Dolphins, and Cardinals) and is going to be guaranteed a top 3 QB on his board. 

Watch, the Cardinals are going to pay their 1, 2, and 2019 1st (possibly more) to move up into the top 7 picks, and BUF may get screwed all together because their top 2 QBs are likely going in the top 3. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Macc's move was polarizing among media members when he made it, but nearly every podcast I've listened to recently now laud the move. Many have even come out to say that they were wrong to criticize it... basically, Macc realized the price to get into the top 3 would only grow as the draft neared. Macc wanted to be proactive and it worked. He screwed some teams over (namely the Bills, Dolphins, and Cardinals) and is going to be guaranteed a top 3 QB on his board. 

Watch, the Cardinals are going to pay their 1, 2, and 2019 1st (possibly more) to move up into the top 7 picks, and BUF may get screwed all together because their top 2 QBs are likely going in the top 3. 

I'll hold my final thoughts on this offseason until Sunday but I think Macc did a solid job in 2017 and this offseason looks like it will be solid. He was a first time GM who seems to be getting better. If he keeps having solid offseasons, we'll be a playoff team soon. Especially if we hit on this QB. If we don't hit on this QB though....

Archived