Son was asked to move up an age group - advice needed

Sugashane

4 hours ago, eagles101 said:

If he moves up and you think he will be the worse kid by a significant margin he shouldnt move up. But if hes going from the best kid to a middle of the pack kid i would move him up. And keep him up as long as hes not the worst player. 

I watched the older kids hit and think he'd be middle of the pack to start, and just because he's so new he may advance fairly rapidly. When we go to the batting cage I throw harder to him than they do, so I wasn't too worried about that. Also this league does a great job of making sure all the kids play. They try to make sure no team has more than 12 kids, and all kids MUST play 4 out of the 6 innings (so only 2 innings can be sat per kid per game). I think it said a child cannot sit in 3 consecutive games, but I can't remember if that was exactly the number. They take it seriously enough one parent is not allowed to coach in any manner, even as an assistant due to him not following the rule a few years ago.

I asked him yesterday and he didn't seem to care after finding out he wasn't able to play both. He knows he can get along with about anyone and isn't shy by any means.

42 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

If you think basbeall is something he is going to want to do at a much higher level (college minors) and will have the ability to do so, that would be the only reason to move him up

otherwise, let him enjoy being a kid and having fun with his friends.  Some of my best friends in school were made during little league, and the older kids will move up a school before your son ever does which could make it awkward socially

He very well might go on to play it. He will drill outside for football, basketball, and baseball though. I'm a carpenter so I have a small batting cage I've made for the back yard, he will hit for 20-30 minutes at least twice a week if it isn't cold as balls.

So called the league official and found out the older group has plenty of coaches already, so there won't be any openings for me to coach. I guarantee that will be a dealbreaker for little man so the decision will be super easy. When he gets to 10 or so we will look at traveling teams if he wants, but I'm sure he will want to have me coach for right now at least. I'll talk to him after work to make sure though.

Thanks for all the input guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting him in an unfair spot or one he might not enjoy as much.

14 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

He's an 8 year old boy, his criteria for friends is 1) being roughly the same size and 2) being in the same area. He'd be able to make friends in a different division.

I'm just looking at it from the point that he's gonna have the same kids in his grade every year until he graduates. And those kids will be his friends. If he's moving up to a different group of kids, he's not gonna be playing with the kids who are gonna be his friends for the next 10 years.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s 8, this is about him having fun with friends.  Let him decide.

Bingo.  They don't hand out scholarships at this age.  Let him tell you.  I have a feeling he'll want to stay with his friends and the kids his age though.

34 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

So called the league official and found out the older group has plenty of coaches already, so there won't be any openings for me to coach. I guarantee that will be a dealbreaker for little man so the decision will be super easy. When he gets to 10 or so we will look at traveling teams if he wants, but I'm sure he will want to have me coach for right now at least. I'll talk to him after work to make sure though.

That's probably the right decision.  There will be plenty of time in the future to challenge him if he's good and he wants the challenge.  For now, let him be a kid.

I coach both a school basketball team along with an AAU team.  I encourage those types of kids to find a way to do a little of both.  If baseball is his passion maybe spend the regular season at his age level, so he can have success and fun.  If he is dedicated to the sport try to find a travelling team that will push him to be better where he can play up.  It does require more of a commitment from him and you but it's the best of both worlds.  

You want him to be pushed but also succeed so he keeps that passion for the sport.  

If you’re kids going to get completely pwnd they probably wouldn’t be asking him to move up. If you’re kid is serious about sports move him up. If he isn’t, don’t. I’m pretty sure no one ends up on a therapists couch because they weren’t awesome on their youth team. It’s when they have jack *** parents pressuring them that it screws them up. And you don’t sound like that so even if struggles it should be fine 

I got moved up in 7th grade to the 8th grade varsity and spent almost the entire year on the bench. I would've rarely left the game if I had stayed on the 7th grade team. I had no fun that year and wish I had stayed with my friends rather than try to better myself as a basketball player. 

Asked if he had a preference and he didn't after he found out there were the same number of games. Lol

But I was right. Once he found out I couldn't coach him if he moved up, he said immediately he wanted to stay and have me coach. Lol

3 hours ago, YoungBucs15 said:

I coach both a school basketball team along with an AAU team.  I encourage those types of kids to find a way to do a little of both.  If baseball is his passion maybe spend the regular season at his age level, so he can have success and fun.  If he is dedicated to the sport try to find a travelling team that will push him to be better where he can play up.  It does require more of a commitment from him and you but it's the best of both worlds.  

You want him to be pushed but also succeed so he keeps that passion for the sport.  

He plays football, basketball, baseball and soccer. I coach the first 3 but not knowledgeable on soccer at all.  

Are there any coaching books or YouTube channels you frequent for drills or any other ideas? He's still enjoying some of them but always happy to hear from other coaches. 

My dad had me skip a league when I was about the same age to be on my brothers team. It was more convenient with us on the same team, but most of the kids were 2-3 years older than me. 

I did fine though, I just remember being late on a lot of pitches and hitting it to 1B or 2B most of the time and usually grounding out. Think it ended up being the best call though. 

If he's serious about baseball, I'd still keep him in the same age group this year, but then next year maybe have him try out for a select team within his own age group.  There will be some travel involved, but until you get to 10+, it's usually pretty local.  I have a friend with a kid  on a 9U select team, and they don't go outside of about 30-40 minutes away, except for one tournament they are going to that is about a 2-2.5 hour drive.  There are other levels of competition without moving him up a grade, and most select teams will have 4 or more coaches so you could still assist.

If he isn't as serious about baseball, personally I'd still keep him in the same age group and just let him dominate and have fun.  If he changes his mind later, there are a lot of pros who didn't get serious about baseball until high school.  At this age, there is still plenty of stuff you can teach him after looking up instructional stuff on youtube.

Ask your son what he wants. 

The only concern I'd have if he were to move up an age group, he might have a more difficult time making friends as easily, but he'd be putting himself in a better position down the line in terms of his skills at baseball.

Archived