Steelers Big Board for Tomorrow Night...

MDSteeler1971

1. Derwin James (S – Florida State)

We discussed 4 potential players in the top spot. In the end, we decided if there was 1 player from this draft class we would like to add to the Pittsburgh Steelers it would be Florida State safety Derwin James. While safety isn’t the biggest immediate need, game-changing safety talent is hard to pass up and the secondary has severely lacked a player capable of creating turnovers since Troy Polamalu retired. James is a high-character guy and capable of playing either safety spot.

2. Roquan Smith (ILB – Georgia)

Inside Linebacker is the Steelers biggest need in the draft and Roquan Smith has the size, athleticism, and reads the game as well as any linebacker in this draft class. He absolutely jumped off the screen at Georgia and was all over the field for the Bulldogs defense. 

3. Tremaine Edmunds (ILB – Virginia Tech)

Edmunds wasn’t considered a first round pick coming into the 2017 season, but an impressive year followed by elite athletic testing skyrocketed his stock. He isn’t far behind Roquan Smith in terms of speed and agility and would absolutely fill the Mack linebacker role that the Steelers need.

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick (S – Alabama)

There are some mixed opinions on Minkah Fitzpatrick and he has been called a “Jack of all trades / Master of None.” His best role might be as a slot cornerback, but he can also play on the outside or in any safety role.

5. Derrius Guice (RB – LSU)

Guice was a do-it-all back for LSU whom the Steelers have shown significant interest in during the pre-draft process. He has the ability as a runner and receiver to be a 3-down back in the NFL and would make it easier for the Steelers to move on from Le’Veon Bell in 2019.

6. Harold Landry (EDGE – Boston College)

Landry is the second-best pass rusher in the class. While the Steelers just picked up Bud Dupree’s 5th year option, adding Landry would give them depth in the immediacy and a potential edge rusher of the future if they decide to move on from Dupree.

7. Denzel Ward (CB – Ohio State)

The top CB prospect in the draft would add depth to the Steelers on the outside. Joe Haden is nearing 30 (the age when CBs typically show they have lost a step) and Artie Burns is still a bit of an unknown. Ward may be slightly undersized but has a lot of Jason Verrett in his game and looks to be an effective outside corner. Furthermore, since we play nickel at least 70% of the time, we should view 3 corners as “starters” and can never have enough depth at the position.

8. Leighton Vander Esch (LB – Boise State)

If the Steelers miss out on the top two inside linebackers, Vander Esch would be the next best option. He has a blend of size, speed and athleticism that makes him a great candidate for filling the Mack linebacker role. He did not play at a “Power 5” school, which would break from Steelers draft tradition (at least in the first round), but he has the talent and ability to be a very good NFL player and solidify the middle of the defense. 

9. Rashaan Evans (ILB – Alabama)

Evans is the fourth of the “big four” inside linebacker prospects. There is some disparity between his tape (which shows a linebacker capable of making plays in coverage and against the run) and his athletic testing, which came out below the elite level. Evans was a productive player for Alabama’s defense and if he can maintain that level of play in the NFL he can be a very good player for a long time.

10. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE/LB – Georgia)

Carter is somewhat of a “tweener” prospect. While he mostly played on the edge at Georgia, he has the size, speed, and athleticism to move inside and play the Mack linebacker role. The Steelers could use him either as an outside linebacker or an inside linebacker, depending on the situation. It is not unheard of for a player to make this transition as Lawrence Timmons was originally drafted to be a pass rusher but moved inside. 

11. Josh Jackson (CB – Iowa)

After Denzel Ward, there was a lot of discussion about which corner best fit the Steelers scheme. We settled on Josh Jackson, who profiles as a better zone corner than man corner. Jackson is tall and physical with great ball skills. He does not shy away from contact and willingly goes after ball carriers – a trait the Steelers love.

12. Jaire Alexander (CB – Louisville)

While Jackson looks like the better zone corner, Alexander looks like the better man-to-man corner. He has the speed to stick with speedy receivers deep down the field and the short-area quickness to cover underneath routes.

13. Ronnie Harrison (S – Alabama)

The Steelers do have a need at safety and adding depth to the position is a must in this draft. Harrison profiles more as a strong safety than a free safety, and is at his best when the play is in front of him and he can attack downhill towards the ball. He does have a bit of Mike Mitchell in his game where he will go for the big hit rather than the sure tackle. 

14. Vita Vea (DT – Washington)

The first defensive lineman off the board. There is some debate as to who the best defensive line prospect in this draft is (between Vea, Tavon Bryan, DaRon Payne, and Maurice Hurst). For the Steelers purposes, we viewed Bryan and Hurst as 3-4 DE prospects, and the Steelers are already set at that position. Vea has the size and ability to play the 1-technique spot on the inside and can be the run-stuffers in the middle that the Steelers have lacked since Casey Hampton’s retirement. 

15. Mike Hughes (CB – Central Florida)

Hughes overcame a rocky start to his collegiate career to develop into one of the top cornerback prospects in the draft. After leaving UNC, Hughes played a year at the junior college level before transferring to UCF in 2017. He had a monster season for the National Champions with 4 INTs (including a pick-6) and 11 passes defended. Additionally, Hughes was a standout kick returner, taking back two kickoffs and a punt for a touchdown. 

Next Best Players Available

QB: Josh Allen (Wyoming), Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State), Lamar Jackson (Louisville)
RB: Nick Chubb (Georgia), Rashaad Penny (San Diego St), Kerryon Johnson (Auburn)
WR: Christian Kirk (Texas A&M), James Washington (Oklahoma St), Courtland Sutton (SMU), DJ Chark (LSU), Dante Pettis (Washington), DaeSean Hamilton (Penn St)
TE: Mike Gesicki (Penn St), Hayden Hurst (South Carolina), Mark Andrews (Oklahoma)
OT: Connor Williams (Texas), Tyrell Crosby (Oregon)
OG: Will Hernandez (UTEP)
OC: James Daniels (Iowa), Billy Price (Ohio St)

DL: DaRon Payne (Alabama), Maurice Hurst (Michigan), Harrison Phillips (Stanford), Taven Bryan (Florida), BJ Hill (NC State)
EDGE: Rasheem Green (USC), Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (Oklahoma), Arden Key (LSU)
ILB: Malik Jefferson (Texas), Josey Jewell (Iowa), Dorian O’Daniel (Clemson), Darius Leonard (South Carolina St), Jerome Baker (Ohio St)
CB: Isaiah Oliver (Colorado), Carlton Davis (Auburn), Anthony Averett (Alabama), Duke Dawson (Florida), MJ Stewart (UNC)
S: Terrell Edmunds (Virginia Tech), Kyzir White (West Virginia), Marcus Allen (Penn St) 

If they draft RB in the first round, I may stop following this team much until Tomlin and Colbert are gone.   

Some will say Im exaggerating or overreacting, but I have no interest in watching a team run by complete idiots, and that would prove to me that they are.

Nice work. I think you're fairly spot on. Much to @FourThreeMafia's I think if Guice is there and the top ILBs are gone he is a possibility. And depending on how they feel the Bell talks are going, and what players are available, it may be the best choice (tho initially painful). I've been thinking about who is going to be gone before 28. I think the players most likely to "fall" to 28 (that would interest the Steelers) are LVE, Landry and Davenport with LVE being the most likely. However, I'm betting all will be gone and the BPA of need is going to be Harrison/Reid.

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If they draft RB in the first round, I may stop following this team much until Tomlin and Colbert are gone.   

Some will say Im exaggerating or overreacting, but I have no interest in watching a team run by complete idiots, and that would prove to me that they are.

What if they draft a RB then trade Bell? Bell is  probably gone next year and I agree with your assessment about the FO is they keep RD1 RB and Bell.  I have no interest in watching a team that accepts the D as it was in the playoffs losing at home all while having supposedly an elite offence . Going in the wrong direction is what I see.

anyone else here think that if we go offence in RD1 it is a mistake? I see the D as the real area for improvement to the point where we should take 2 of the first 3 picks for D. If a DDC event occurs, then I understand, but I don't expect that to happen

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

anyone else here think that if we go offence in RD1 it is a mistake? I see the D as the real area for improvement to the point where we should take 2 of the first 3 picks for D. If a DDC event occurs, then I understand, but I don't expect that to happen

If they go Offense in the first round, it better be an A+ pick.  

33 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Id be interested in seeing this tape where Derwin James is changing the game.

James is a good player, he is very active and can get it done all over the field, but he can also be slow to react sometimes.  Don't know if he will be an All-Pro safety, but should be a very solid presence for the team that gets him.  (maybe more)

3 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

James is a good player, he is very active and can get it done all over the field, but he can also be slow to react sometimes.  Don't know if he will be an All-Pro safety, but should be a very solid presence for the team that gets him.  (maybe more)

He's an athlete and a good football player. Great and a game changer? The hype is a lot bigger than the results and production...always has been. I wouldn't hate to have him but don't see how he should he be on top of anybody's board based on his play. His freshman year was exciting. 

13 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

Even if the Steelers legitimately needed a RB this year, I Would still hate to take Guice in the 1st. I'm not a huge fan of his, and think theres better value in Rd 2-3 at RB anyways 

Are you talking Penny? I like him a lot! 

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

What if they draft a RB then trade Bell?

Would be acceptable IMO, but not ideal.     If we were to trade Bell, Id much rather draft a 3rd down back on day 3 and sign a guy like Demarco Murray AFTER the draft.....and if the 3rd down back isnt ready, I think we could get one during preseason when teams are releasing players.

Ive already made my feelings abundantly clear why Im not a fan of drafting a RB EARLY with Bell still on the roster.   If Tomlin/Colbert are that stupid, Im going to have a very hard time having confidence in them going forward.   

Archived