kurgan mock FINAL

kurgan

OK... midnight oil is burned and done.  I know it may not be the most popular of picks, but here is MY final mock for you all to tear apart.  This is what I would do, not a predictive mock.  I also did the 90 man roster, 53, inactive list and finally the practice squad.  Read, enjoy and give feedback!!!!

Kurgan of Prussia’s GM Mock Draft (what I would do)

1.28—Jessie Bates III, FS Wake Forest

OK, before I get killed about this pick too high, lemme state that I would be ecstatic about trading back 5-10 slots and picking up a 4th to get a TE or RB weapon (Dalton Schultz or Mark Walton) but I want to make sure that I state clearly that we have to address Free Safety in this draft and we have to get it right.  Forget about ILB for a second, we have to get this one right.  Right now, we have two SS on the roster in Burnett and Davis, and we are hoping that Davis can transition to FS when he has NEVER played there in college or the pros.  So, we have a hole that we have to fill AND make sure that we get 100% right.  For me, that starts and ends with Bates.  There are only THREE names that I would even consider taking at all in this draft for FS, and that is Bates, Edmunds or Eliot.  Bates is, by far, the best of the 3 and fits what we want.  Reid is another SS/slot corner, which is how Davis was graded when he came out two years ago.  I have no feeling at all about Bates making it to 60.  I know he is valued by other teams, and they pick before us in Round 2.

Bates is a true FS, having played there his entire career at Wake.  Above average athlete, high IQ, physical in run game, great as a centerfielder.  Negatives are fixable—needs to get stronger and bigger (he is a redshirt sophomore), needs to take better angles due to lack of elite speed.  That is film and weight room.  He is a power 5 kid, non-senior and team captain/high character kid.  Tomlin and Colbert were also at pro day, and had dinner with Bates.  Sounds like a Steeler.

As much crap as we gave Mitchell the past few years about his FS work, Bates is sooo different.  He is not going to kill someone with a tackle.  He is not an enforcer.  I am OK with that.  He is a guy that is not going to get beat deep, help in the run game, and be a great leader/communicator.  Yes, please.

Imagine by week 10, Bates and Davis as FS/SS and Burnett as dime backer.  Hilton is the nickelback.  I’d rather have that than hoping Davis can be the FS, Burnett at SS, and then a mystery at dime backer.

2.60—Darius Leonard, ILB South Carolina State  6’2” 224

This is a homer pick for me since I coached against this kid in high school here in South Carolina, but he does fit a huge need for us and can play right away.  In that vein, if this ends up being Malik Freeman, I am OK with that as well, but I prefer Leonard.  He was also on the pre-draft visitor list as well, and has been in Pittsburgh.  I know that some on here will say that this is early again, but MLB has to be addressed, so unless another trade back scenario is floated, we take him here.

Leonard is a natural Mack linebacker that plays in space, flows sideline to sideline and can drop into coverage.  It is what he already does at State, who runs a similar defense.  He takes over games at times, which is what you want a smaller school guy to do, but shows traits that translate to the next level.  His quickness, read ability and IQ are translatable, and he is very technically sound.  I can personally attest that he played in the lowest level of high school football in South Carolina (Single A) and made the transition in a year to FCS football, so I have faith that he can make the next jump to the NFL.   Plus, he is in a perfect spot as he can learn from Bostic, VWill and Dirty Red in the first year while making strides on special teams, then be ready to make the jump in year two.

As with Bates, I realize that he needs time in the film booth, but that is part of being a pro.  He needs to take better angles and make better reads, but that can come with coaching and guidance.  And yes, at a lighter weight, he can be targeted on ISO runs and stuff and knocked off the ball with lineman, and needs to get better at stacking and shedding and hand usage. 

Leonard also brings a little bit of extra juice as a pass rusher, as he was used at times at State.  He can line up and blitz and has some success in doing so.  Versatile is the key, and Leonard can help with that as well.

3.92—Deon Cain, WR Clemson  6’2” 200

Time for the offensive pick of the top of the draft.  Colbert never goes 3 straight sides at the top of the draft, and with the first two picks on D, this one has to be O.  And, we need some help in the receiver room badly.  If the board falls this way, I would love to take Cain here.  I know he may be gone, so I would settle for Wilson from Boise, Pettis from Washington or even Gallup from Colorado State.  But, Cain just makes so much sense for us here.  Braintrust was at Clemson Pro Day, and he was there.  And, I think that his lack of production and negatives are going to knock him down.  While this is a bad WR class, there are some polished guys that will be taken before Cain, who necessitates a pretty big gamble.  I am not going to lie, when I first did this mock, I had D.J Chark here, but he has taken off the last couple of days, and there is some buzz about him being a low 1, high 2 guy, so I went to Cain here as a similar player.

6’2” and a legit 4.3 stops me right away.  I have seen enough ACC games to know this guy, and #8 is a dynamic weapon.  He gets to speed in like a second.  He is a willing blocker (not like Juju, but not many are).  He seems to make big catches when it means the most.  Double moves are deadly.

Negatives are easy as well.  He is a size/speed guy.  Not much for technique, just relies on speed and jumping.  Not many routes in his tree.  Not slick catching the ball, looks unwieldy.  Stats are not the greatest.

Comparison to Sammie Coates is easy.  He had some of the same goods and bads.  Cain is more polished as a down the field threat, and when he gets chemistry with Ben, watch out.

Draft him and we know that he is a project till Bryant leaves.  Room him with AB.  Get him on the Juggs.  After practice with Dobbs and the boys, coach him up.  Film all the time.  Week 10, 4 WR sets have AB, Bryant, JuJu and Cain.  That is nasty.

5.148—Trenton Thompson, 5 tech UGA  6’4” 285

A D-lineman, just not the Dline that most people are clamoring for.  Not a plugger NG but another 5 tech.  But, why??

First—lack of NG here.  Second—flexibility of LT Walton and Tyson Alualu allow us to use them to spell Hargrave.  Those three guys, along with Tuitt, are all around 305-310.  Heyward is 285-290.  The only outliner is Shade Tree, who is 350.

Thompson was the nation’s #1 recruit 3 years ago.  Came to UGA and started since he was a freshman.  Same 3-4 defense, went from Richt to Smart and did the same thing.  Played the 5 tech, slid down on nickel to the 3 tech and rushed the passer.  Very skilled and able body to be able to do this.  Smart kid and very athletic.

He is sliding because of a couple of things.  Undiagnosed medical condition caused him to miss last spring practice.  Came back and beasted out again.  IDK what the issue was, but it was not drug related, as he never went to rehab.  Just recovered in Athens and was back on the team.  Also, perceived lack of production.  He played on a dominant defense with two high round linebackers, and a bevy of All Conference and 5* kids.  Some games he had 3 sacks, others none, but he was a consistent force for the Dawgs. 

I’d grab him here and he would be almost plug and play.  Hard worker and with film, and push LT and Alualu, and in a couple of years be a rotation guy that can play the 5 and roll down to the 3, if needed.

5.165—Hercules Mata’afa, Edge/LB  Washington State  6’2” 252

Time for another gamble.  Here is a guy that has the perfect measurables and traits to be a big time OLB/pass rusher for us.  Well, except that is not what he did in college.

Mata’afa was a DL in college, who Alex Grinch used to jump gaps and time snaps and be a pure disrupter.  And, he was good at it.  22.5 TFL last year.  While that is not translatable, his quick first step, vision, and talents in blowing up pulling guards/tackles is.  I can see him careening off the edge and blasting a poor QB blindside.  I can also see him being coached up and taking on a pulling guard, wrong arming him back to the LOS and having the MLB clean it up.  He is not afraid of contact and will bring the thunder when he comes.

Some have said try MLB, but I am not one of those.  Maybe down the road, but I would use him right away as a special teams weapon and train him at Edge.  If we can turn DEs into OLB, why can’t we turn a DL into one??

Might also have some use as a nickel rusher as well.  He has already done it, so may as well line him up and let him go.  Put him inside at a 3 tech to mess with the OL’s head, and let him loose.

7.220—Sam Jones, OG Arizona State  6’5” 295

Time for another offensive pick to make the numbers a bit more even.  This is a guy that has a great story.  Redshirt junior, 2 year starter.  Power 5 guy that is rated as the #14 guard in the nation by PFF.  Graded as a great pass blocker, and an above average run blocker, so will be a fit in Pittsburgh, as he can be coached up and made into a guy that we can use long term.  Tall and mobile, more of a finesse player at the point of attack and has a tendency to get attacked by bullrushes, but is so good with technique that he has not given up a sack this past year.  As a + athlete, can be used in a pin and pull type system like the Steelers use, and will also flourish in zone.

I first saw this guy a couple of games into the season, and he stuck out to me as a tall guard at first.  Then I saw him as a guy that uses more technique than power, and that is something that I believe that the Steelers value.  Either way, I look for the Steelers to grab an OL here somewhere for depth purposes since losing Old Mother Hubbard.

7.246—Jeff Badet, Gimmick, Oklahoma  6’0” 180

Slot WR, KR/PR, Jet Sweep, Wildcat QB.  4.27 at Pro Day.  10’11” broad jump, 40” vert.  Was at Kentucky the first 3 years and was team captain 9 games his junior season, before grad transferring to OK.  Not great numbers, but averaged 16 per catch, and was dangerous as the KR.

Role model is AB.  At worst, comp for KR/PR and gunner slots.  Best, a future slot guy that can flat fly.  Needs to do more in weight room/film room and work with coaches, but a great player that plays above 6’.

UDFA (huge list, we have lots of holes)

1.     Austin Allen, QB Arkansas 6’1” 209

a.     Just like watching this kid play.  Gamer that can come in as a camp arm.

2.     Ryan Nall, FB Oregon State  6’2” 232

a.     With two FB’s brought in as pre-draft visitors, this makes sense.  Comp for Rosie and a long term option as a blocker and a bit of an H-Back.

3.     Roc Thomas, RB Jacksonville State 5’10” 198

a.     Smaller than most of our backs, but faster.  Not a flashy guy, but tough between the tackles and was a man at Auburn before depth chart made him leave

4.     Jordan Thomas, TE Mississippi State  6’5” 280

a.     Blocker for the most part, but can do some straightline stuff.

5.     Javon Wims, OWR UGA 6’4” 215

a.     Thought he was going to blow up more, but most I have seen is him undrafted.  Love him as a UGA fan, and he is a jump ball master.  Also a killer run blocker.  JUCO kid with a great story, a bit older but knows about hard work.

6.     Russel Gage, Jr.  SWR LSU  6’ 184

a.     Predraft guy, will be a special teamer.

7.     Jordan Mailata, OT Rugby  6’8” 346

a.     Here ya go, Munch.  Get to work.  Predraft, conversion prospect.

8.     Tyrone Crowder, OG Clemson  6’2” 340

a.     Scheme fit for us.  Pin and puller.  Big guy with good feet.  Hey, Foster was UFDA, right??

9.     John Atkins, NG UGA  6’3” 328

a.     Comp for Shade Tree.  Just a nose plugger.

10. Bilal Nichols, 5 tech Delaware  6’4” 306

a.     Predraft.  Fits the Steelers mold

11. Davin Bellamy, 5 tech/Edge UGA  6’4” 270

a.     Another homer pick.  Drop 10 pounds and play him at Edge like UGA, or bulk up 10-15 and play as a DE.  Did both at UGA.  Gamer.

12. Joel Lanning, ILB/QB Iowa State 6’2” 230

a.     Just a football player, man.

13. Deion Harris, CB North Dakota 6’2” 182

a.     Camp body corner.  Not much tape, but a height/weight guy that has some accolades and decent numbers

14. Danny Johnson, CB Southern 5’9” 181

a.     Was a talked about name after Combine, and then vanished.

15. Tray’von Henderson, SS Hawaii 6’” 208

a.     Star at the Senior Bowl.  Played some FS and showed some abilities.  Long term project.

90 MAN ROSTER

QB—Ben, Landry, Dobbs, Allen

RB—Bell, Connor, Fitz, Ridley, Roc Thomas

FB—Rosie, Nall

WR—AB, Bryant, DHB, Juju, Hunter, Griffey, Tucker, Deon Cain, Javon Wims

SWR—Justin Thomas, Jeff Badet, Russell Gage

TE—Vince McDonald, Outlaw, Grimble, McGee, Thomas

OT—Gilbert, Villy, Hawkins, Cheek, Graham, Mailata

OG—DDC, Foster, Feiler, Parker, Jones, Crowder

OC—Pouncey, Finney, Camp Center

NG—Hargrave, Shade Tree, Atkins

5 tech—Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Walton, Hooks, Thompson, Nichols

Edge—Dupree, Watt, Chick, Adams, Hugeinin, Mata’afa, Bellamy

ILB—Vwill, Bostic, Fort, Matakevich, Galambos, Kelsey, Leonard, Lanning

CB—Haden, Burns, Sensabaugh, Sutton, Allen, Hilton, Harris, Johnson

SS—Wilcox, Burnett, Behre, Golden, Henderson

FS—Davis, Dangerfield, Bates

K—Boswell, Camp Leg

P—Berry, Wile

LS—Canady, Camp Snapper

53 MAN ROSTER

Offense—(25)

QB—Ben, Landry, Dobbs

RB—Bell, Connor, Ridley

FB—Rosie

WR—AB, Bryant, Juju, Cain, DHB, Hunter, Badet

TE—McDonald, Outlaw, Grimble

OT—Gilbert, Villy, Hawkins

OG—DDC, Foster, Finney, Feiler

OC—Pouncey

Defense—(25)

DL—Hargrave, Tuitt, Heyward, Alualu, Walton, Thompson

ILB—Vwill, Bostic, Matakevich, Leonard

OLB—Dupree, Watt, Chikillo, Mata’afa, Adams

CB—Haden, Burns, Sensabaugh, Sutton, Allen, Hilton

S—Burnett, Davis, Bates, Berhe

K—Boswell

P—Berry

LS—Canady

Inactive List— (Dobbs, Badet, Hunter, Feiler, Thompson, Adams, Sensabaugh, Allen)

Practice Squad—QB Austin Allen, RB Roc Thomas, WR Javon Wims, WR Justin Thomas, OT Jordan Mailata, OG Sam Jones, NG John Atkins, DL Bilal Nichols, DE/Edge Davin Bellamy, SS Tray’von Henderson

2.60—Darius Leonard, ILB South Carolina State  6’2” 224

I hate this pick.  It would be a turn the TV off moment in an attempt to not break it.  He can’t play in the Steeler defense. He plays like a safety and doesn’t read or take on blocks. Watch his games and not his highlight reel, because his splash plays are deceiving. At his LOC, he’s a nice run and chase guy when given room, but I don’t think the cerebral part of his game is very good and he tested poorly, to boot.

Give me Skai Moore over this bum.

5.165—Hercules Mata’afa, Edge/LB  Washington State  6’2” 252

Not worth a 5th round pick.  Below average athlete where the try harder part will not make it in the NFL.  Take a shot on him in the 7th but I predict Hercules will be getting on with his life's work by 2020

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I hate this pick.  It would be a turn the TV off moment in an attempt to not break it.  He can’t play in the Steeler defense. He plays like a safety and doesn’t read or take on blocks. Watch his games and not his highlight reel, because his splash plays are deceiving. At his LOC, he’s a nice run and chase guy when given room, but I don’t think the cerebral part of his game is very good and he tested poorly, to boot.

Give me Skai Moore over this bum.

Not worth a 5th round pick.  Below average athlete where the try harder part will not make it in the NFL.  Take a shot on him in the 7th but I predict Hercules will be getting on with his life's work by 2020

Agree to disagree.  Leonard is a hard worker and a guy that was asked to sit and make tackles in this defense, and did it well.  I know that SC State isn't a huge school, but two time MEAC defensive players of the year are nothing to sneeze at.  Can he take on ISO blocks?  No.... can he run and cover and tackle sideline to sideline... yes.  He needs work in coverage aspects, but the kid is a player.  Watch his tape... watch him live.

You are saying that a bottom of the 5th is too high to risk on the skill set that Mata'afa has??  High character, high coachability, great skill set that just needs a role and some coaching??

3 minutes ago, kurgan said:

You are saying that a bottom of the 5th is too high to risk on the skill set that Mata'afa has??  High character, high coachability, great skill set that just needs a role and some coaching??

Yes.  5th round pick is too high for Mata'afa.

4 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Agree to disagree.  Leonard is a hard worker and a guy that was asked to sit and make tackles in this defense, and did it well.  I know that SC State isn't a huge school, but two time MEAC defensive players of the year are nothing to sneeze at.  Can he take on ISO blocks?  No.... can he run and cover and tackle sideline to sideline... yes.  He needs work in coverage aspects, but the kid is a player.  Watch his tape... watch him live.

Watch his tape then watch what the Steeler ILBs do in the Steeler system.  Leonard is a run and chase not a read and attack.  He will be wonderful making plays 5 yard+ past the LOS

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Yes.  5th round pick is too high for Mata'afa.

We can all have different opinions but I'm gonna bet you're one of the few with this one (doesn't make you wrong). But I think Herc can be a terrific situational Pass Rusher. And the 5th Rd sounds about right to me for that. 

37 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

We can all have different opinions but I'm gonna bet you're one of the few with this one (doesn't make you wrong). But I think Herc can be a terrific situational Pass Rusher. And the 5th Rd sounds about right to me for that. 

My only question is, when do you take a chance on a high ceiling guy like Herc?? What better value hangs there

47 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I wish the Steelers used situational pass rushers.  He would work in that role.

You have a guy that has rarely stood up, never asked to cover and is too small to play DE.  Do you think someone like this can be an OLB in the Steeler system? 

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I wish the Steelers used situational pass rushers.  He would work in that role.

You have a guy that has rarely stood up, never asked to cover and is too small to play DE.  Do you think someone like this can be an OLB in the Steeler system? 

Yes, as a situational Nickel/Dime Pass Rusher. 

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Which the current Steeler defense does not use.

And? As the Roster is now, who would it have been? Chick? Moats? They're garbage. Also, how many times did we see Hilton come off a CB in the Nickel? Are you telling me they couldn't draw up plays that Hilton stays in coverage and Herc comes in to apply the pressure? You're initial post was that Herc was not worth a 5th Rdr.  Even considering scheme limitations I still think he is. 

Archived