MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

2 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I think if anything it was more the result of a heavyweight fighting a middleweight.

as for Fedor's record, he fought all the top Pride guys in their primes. before he went to Strikeforce and lost three in a row he was 31-1, having fought guys like Cro Cop, Hunt, Nogueira, Coleman, Goodridge, Randleman, Silvia, Arlovski. Basically every one of the old school heavyweights. He also wasn't a big heavyweight, and went up against some giants in Japan, like Semmy Schilt and Hong Man Choi.

Honestly I haven't actually seen many of his fights in full myself, I didn't follow MMA when Pride was around. but his fight against Hong Man Choi is pretty memorable, try and check that one out

Well that was interesting. Still feels gimmicky since that guy finished 4-5 lifetime. He was just a massive dude

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Serious question those reversals Fedor did, is that classic Fedor or some Bellator shenanigans because some of these looks so weird for someone like Chael that knows the ground game pretty well

Also, why did Fedor never fight in the UFC?

Also, what are some of his best fights that he's had? Some of these guys on his record are terrible and the biggest names I know are in his 3 fight losing streak. He does have some serious wins too but it seems like he is considered the overwhelming GOAT at HW but is that more just total wins than anything?

well I think i might be one of the older mma fans here since i have seen every pride and most of them i watched live.(loved staying up late for the NYE and OWGP cards). The explosive  reversals is one of the biggest tools that Fedor has used his entire career. I know a lot of guys on his record are just meh but he also beat the best of the best at HW and in large they were in their primes when he did it. If you want to see a great example of how fedor could go from losing to winning check out his randleman fight. Should have had a broken neck and then subbed him 1 minute later. I love Cain and Stipe but he is the goat at hw imo.

Michael Johnson has had one of the fastest falls from grace that I can remember for a fighter in the UFC. Within 5 fights he has gone from fighting the P4P #1 guy on the roster with a legitimate chance to get into title contention to fighting one of the worst fighters in the promotion to save his roster spot. He fought Khabib in MSG on one of the biggest cards in history and he's set to fight Artem Lobov in Canada later this month after Khabib's teammate Zubaira Tukhugov was kicked off the card for punching Conor McGregor in the back of the head after UFC 229. 

Edited by NYRaider

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Michael Johnson has had one of the fastest falls from grace that I can remember for a fighter in the UFC. Within 5 fights he has gone from fighting the P4P #1 guy on the roster with a legitimate chance to get into title contention to fighting one of the worst fighters in the promotion to save his roster spot. He fought Khabib in MSG on one of the biggest cards in history and he's set to fight Artem Lobov in Canada later this month after Khabib's teammate Zubaira Tukhugov was kicked off the card for punching Conor McGregor in the back of the head after UFC 229. 

John Dodson and Donald Cerrone maybe haven't had the fall to the point where their spot is on the line but they were higher on the pecking order than Johnson and aren't getting anywhere vs even above average guys

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

eh Johnson wasn't really that high up to begin with. When he fought Khabib he was one fight removed from losing two in a row, a split decision to Dariush and a fight where he got clowned by Nate Diaz. You said it like he was one of the featured attractions on UFC 205. He was on the prelims, one fight ahead of Tim Boetsch vs Rafael Natal.

Who’s down to create a kickboxing promotion with little money and brilliant marketing? 

- Rename entire sport or calling it “Kicking Boxing Power” with 4oz gloves, same as MMA. Advertise knockouts and standup wars. 

- Considering we need amazing fights to win fans, and all the major talent will be in MMA and Boxing, advertise with simulated fights. 

45 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Who’s down to create a kickboxing promotion with little money and brilliant marketing? 

- Rename entire sport or calling it “Kicking Boxing Power” with 4oz gloves, same as MMA. Advertise knockouts and standup wars. 

- Considering we need amazing fights to win fans, and all the major talent will be in MMA and Boxing, advertise with simulated fights. 

Wouldnt the 4 oz gloves just make people alot more cautious as they could get knocked out easier.