MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

3 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Not surprising why Brock is back in the picture to give the winner of that fight a PPV boost, even in a loss, because "OMG that guy beat Brock Lesnar! BROCK LESNAR!"

Brock’s in there because it’ll put big numbers. With Jones our until who knows when, Rousey retired, Silva no longer having drawing power, and McGregor doing...whatever it is he’s doing, they don’t really have someone who can draw the big bucks. 

GSP’s PPV buys typically underperform for some reason. Even Weidman, who inexplicably had obscene PPV buys has fallen off since his losing streak started.

Script a feud for Brock and let the money pour in.

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I agree with you.. but it is possible it makes sense. They can hype it up as arguably the two best P4P fighters ever, this time at heavyweight, Jones needs to win to reclaim the P4P throne, Cormier needs to win to have an argument as P4P fighter ever or risk finishing like 25-3 or whatever, with all three losses to the same guy.

Have we ever had the same fight 3 times where 1 guy lost all 3 times? Has that EVER happened in the UFC? I mean we've seen trilogies before but thats usually for a rubber match

57 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Cormier would annihilate Lesnar. It'd be like Lesnar vs Cain but worse. 

For the most part I agree with you, but DC is very hitable and Lesnar has sledgehammers for fists and would definitely have a punchers chance. A lot of it depends on Brock's comfort getting hit, and how much time he's spent training with his limited WWE commitments. My guess not much, but who else is there at heavyweight that can draw? Curtis Blaydes? Volkov? Lewis? No one wants to spend money to watch that fight. 

3 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

For the most part I agree with you, but DC is very hitable and Lesnar has sledgehammers for fists and would definitely have a punchers chance. A lot of it depends on Brock's comfort getting hit, and how much time he's spent training with his limited WWE commitments. My guess not much, but who else is there at heavyweight that can draw? Curtis Blaydes? Volkov? Lewis? No one wants to spend money to watch that fight. 

Haven't we already seen he kind of hates that?

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Have we ever had the same fight 3 times where 1 guy lost all 3 times? Has that EVER happened in the UFC? I mean we've seen trilogies before but thats usually for a rubber match

Ortiz went 3-0 vs Shamrock. Same for Nogueira vs Herring and Edgar vs Penn.

If you want to go outside of strictly UFC, Jeremy Horn beat Chael 3 times, once in the UFC. 

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Here is a stupid question...who has the wrestling advantage? Lesnar will be so much bigger than DC you assume he will try and get it to the mat but does he have the advantage there?

Lensar does not have the advantage, IMO

10 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

DC vs. Stipe apparently did below 400k buys.. 

Not surprising - not a single marketable fighter on the main card for the casual fans to get behind. Most of the casual fans know DC as the guy that Jon Jones made cry and probably couldn't tell you who Stipe was or who he has fought. The whole Lesnar promo thing was a joke and is an embarrassment to the promotion but the UFC desperately needs someone for the casual fans to get behind and Lesnar is the only guy that offers that right now - Connor and Rhonda aren't walking through that door anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

On Conan a couple nights ago, DC said his right hand was broken. (Maybe on that last punch?)

Thought I read it was his right index finger that was broken.

EDIT - also, did anyone read that DC wants to fight Shogun next and not Gusty because Gusty is too grueling of a fight for him? If that's true then that's an absolute joke. 

Edited by Scalamania

4 hours ago, Scalamania said:

EDIT - also, did anyone read that DC wants to fight Shogun next and not Gusty because Gusty is too grueling of a fight for him? If that's true then that's an absolute joke. 

That has to be a joke. Shogun hasn't beaten anyone of note. Maybe DC can fight Shogun and Gusty bc the Shogun fight will be over in 45 seconds

10 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I don't think that is true. He said he wants big fights. He said he would fight Jones or Brock next. Or Alexander if he does something special in his next fight.